PDA

View Full Version : Would you repair a baby doll?

Clarity
10-23-2012, 01:38 PM
My dd1's first baby doll was a Gotz mini-muffin that I found at TJMaxx for all of $14.00. I bought it for her when she was 15 months old and the doll has always been her favorite amongst the few that she has. It is the only one that is named and the doll has some sentimental value to both her and dh and I.
Last month, our resident countersurfer (2yo, four-legged baby) found the babydoll on the counter and chewed off her feet and one hand. :32: Dh and I were distressed and when I told dd she just cried and cried. I promised to have her repaired at a baby doll hospital, which helped dd feel a bit better.

I'm not sure what exactly to do...is there someone that can replace the body of a Gotz doll? Has anyone ever repaired a Gotz doll or something similar? I keep thinking I could buy a new Gotz doll but that wouldn't replace HER doll so that's a bad idea, right? Do I just put her away, missing appendages and all? I am planning on buying dd an American girl doll for Xmas but that won't really replace her first baby doll either. Am I making too much of all this?

elephantmeg
10-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I would. Do the arms/legs detach somehow? (ie could you buy a new one to use for parts?)

misshollygolightly
10-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh dear, I'm so sorry. If the limbs are just detached from the body but not really damaged (or if the cloth body needs repair/restuffing), I'd probably go ahead and send it to a doll hospital (reattaching limbs and restuffing the budy are pretty standard, I think). I would at least ask for a quote on those kinds of repairs. If the feet/hand are actually damaged (plastic punctured or badly marred by teeth marks, etc.) I would probably talk with DD about getting a replacement. Maybe offer to let her pick out a new Gotz doll or similar.

ETA: If the doll is badly damaged (beyond reasonable repair), maybe your DD would be ok with getting a replacement doll and saving the clothes from the original doll...maybe that could be a compromise.

ellies mom
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
I would contact a doll hospital and ask them about the most cost effective way to salvage the doll. Since it isn't an overly expensive doll, you maybe able to pick up an new one and send both in and then they could either swap in the new limbs or possibly put the old head unto the new body. I'm willing to bet the latter is cheaper/easier. In fact, the latter maybe something you can do at home even. If is it prohibitively expensive, I'd probably put the doll away and see if she wants a new one. Or I might move up the purchase date on the AG doll and just give her clothes/accessories to go with it for Christmas if I thought it would help her deal with the loss.

Yeah, I'm an over-thinker too.

lizzywednesday
10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Here are two Doll Hospital companies advertised on the Madame Alexander Doll Hospital page:

The Doll Hospital
http://www.aaadollhospital.com/repairs.php
(281) 350-6722
419 Gentry, #102
Spring, TX 77373

The Doll Hospital and Toy Soldier Shop
http://dollhospital.com/dh/doll_repair/doll_repair.htm
(248)543-3115
(800)551-7529
3947 Twelve Mile Road
Berkley, MI 48072

If you're near an independent doll or toy shop, you might want to call them to assess the damage as well.

Good luck!

Clarity
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks Liz, I'm going to call them!
As for the doll, her arms and legs are intact, but there are holes at the ends where there should be feet and hands. I could have killed my dog and if it weren't for the fact that the dog LOVES my girls and my girls LOVE her, she'd be an outdoor dog right now.

Ok, I just googled a bit and it's actually a Gotz Muffin, not the mini-version. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gotz-Muffin-Bald-Pink-Sleeper/dp/B00179FQN4/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt The one on the right is the one that she has and I simply can't find the doll anywhere except international sales on Ebay. :(