PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to a Medium?

Twoboos
10-23-2012, 01:45 PM
If so, did you believe it or not?

Hmm, I should make a poll! (Although I feel like this is a topic for Fairy! ;))

candaceb
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
My sister went to one a few months ago (supposedly "the best in Boston") and the woman told her that my nephew has autism - he has been in EI for 1.5 years but had been evaluated several times and they have consistently said no autism. My sister actually called up the EI people and told them that he needed to be retested because of what the medium said. Based only on what I know from reading BBB for 3 years, I told her she should take him to a developmental pediatrician. She did, and they said no autism. I asked my sister what she thinks of the medium now and she didn't answer.

mommylamb
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I voted no, but I did have my friend's mother read my coffee grounds, with eerie results. And, I am a total non-believer, so when I say they were eerie, I mean it totally freaked me out. This was the first time I was meeting her, and she really didn't know anything about me. These are the two predictions that really freaked me out-

1. She told me that there was big news coming and that it would have a major impact on my family. Two days later, I found out I was pregnant with DS2.

2. She told me that I would be traveling for work and that there would be "5 bosses there". She seemed puzzled by that because she clearly didn't know what it meant. I, on the other hand, knew that I was planning a work trip the next weekend. I work for a group of politicians, and it just happened that 4 of them would be at the conference, along with my executive director, so 5 bosses were there. She had no idea what I do for a living.

lizzywednesday
10-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I've never been, mostly because I'm suspicious of most of them (especially if they do the John Edward thing with the snapping and the hand gestures) but my family has a fairly strong "psychic" streak to us, so we've never really thought it necessary to consult outside the family!

At one point I believed, but one of the housemates in a rental I sublet came home in tears from one she saw and the things this girl had been told were just awful. (And I hope my housemate didn't pay a lot of money for it because it was all wrong.)

I have had my handwriting analyzed (at Project Graduation when I graduated from high school) and my tarot cards read (by my ex-BF's sister, who was good at it) but more than that, it's not my thing.

That said, I do get a kick out of the Long Island Medium TV show. Or, at least, I did until she started schilling for some insurance company.

flashy09
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
I haven't and I am not a believing type of person, except my grandfather had an amazing experience with one....described a family murder (that was made to look like a suicide) without knowing his name.....and predicted his injuries in sports with poles (lost an eye, broke his neck in two different pole using sports!)

gatorsmom
10-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I believe that some people have some sort of a gift- not unlike Beethoven or Einstein- where their brain has an unusual ability that the rest of us don't. I think that ther are some people whose gift could be in the psychic area. But I honestly think those people are as rare as Beethoven or Einstein. Most of the mediums out there are pretenders.

I've never gone to one and wouldn't waste my money.

AngB
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I haven't, but I have several friends who have in my babyloss mom crowd of friends.

One of my friends lost her daughter and then a few months after her husband committed suicide. (He had left a suicide note but it was ruined so she had a lot of unanswered questions.) She went to one of the John Edwards things and was really, really disappointed, but found someone locally. He only charged them under $50 total for 3 of them (her mom, and MIL went too), he recorded it for them, and spent over 2 hours with them. He got a good "reading" from her husband but not so much from her daughter that had died in utero. Some of the things she said he relayed to them were downright eerie. Like they have a family picture in one of their bathrooms and whenever her mom is going to the bathroom, she talks to son-in-law. The medium specifically mentioned it, and not about my friend or MIL, but her mom, and that he hears her talking to him in the bathroom. They had never met this medium before and he had no way of knowing they have a family picture in the bathroom or that her mom talks to son-in-law. There were a few other things he knew, and everyone I know has been really impressed and comforted by it.

My friend ended up going back by herself for another reading and the medium tried to do a reading for almost an hour and only got a little bit, he had her reschedule to try for another time and did not charge her any money for his time. (And he also has a professional full time job, he only does this on the side.)

I'm still a little skeptical but would also kind of like to do it. DH is flat out against it (going himself, not me going) and said even if we learned stuff from DD that he wouldn't even want to know about it. I may do it next year sometime, mainly with the idea of going "for fun".

In this case, if the guy is scamming people, he definitely isn't making a fortune doing it, and even if it was all made up, for $50 my friend felt a lot better and got a lot of questions answered that bothered her...even if it was stuff that anyone could have answered, "No, it was not your fault." "Yes, he wants you to find someone else and get married again someday." "There is nothing you could have done to prevent it or stop him."...for stuff like that, if it makes them feel better, and they aren't spending a fortune on it, I don't really care if it's legit or not.

ETA: Another friend went to the same guy and he knew she was pregnant, she was only 5 weeks at the time and not showing at all and had not mentioned it.

JElaineB
10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
I believe there are real mediums but I know there are some fakes out there claiming to be mediums as well. I have no need or desire to go to one myself, however. I would consider past life regression though, if I could find someone who was close by and reputable.

edurnemk
10-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I believe there are real mediums but I know there are some fakes out there claiming to be mediums as well. I have no need or desire to go to one myself, however. I would consider past life regression though, if I could find someone who was close by and reputable.

:yeahthat: But I have gone to one, for fun with friends, some things they said were spot on others were completely wrong. I do think some people have a genuine gift, but most of the real ones don't make money off it.

My BFF does past life regressions and I've always wanted to do one, but I'm too scared, LOL.

I voted no, but I did have my friend's mother read my coffee grounds, with eerie results. And, I am a total non-believer, so when I say they were eerie, I mean it totally freaked me out.

My mom's best friend is amazingly talented at reading coffee grounds, she doesn't charge any money, only does it if she's in the mood, LOL, but she's NEVER been wrong about anything. A few years ago I went to see her and didn't tell her I was in the process of interviewing for 2 jobs (lets call them company B and Company D, I preferred the job for company D but the commute was brutal and I was pretty sure the salary would not be better than at company B). She didn't know it but I had an appointment that afternoon at company B where they would make me an offer, and I was still waiting for Company D's answer.

She told me that I would be offered 2 jobs, but that the first one was not the best option for me and that I would not like the offer they were going to make, that I should accept the second offer. At this point I was like "whaaaat?" 'cause apparently Company B was going to be the first offer and I knew it would be better than Company D's. Well, 2 hours later I'm in my car driving towards company B, my cell phone rings, I answer, guess who? Company D of course! And they made me an offer over the phone! So she was RIGHT, the first offer was not good!

This is just ONE of many freakishly detailed and accurate predictions given by her. But she's the only one I trust, 'cause she's a family friend and doesn't make money off it.

AnnieW625
10-23-2012, 04:45 PM
I believe that some people have some sort of a gift- not unlike Beethoven or Einstein- where their brain has an unusual ability that the rest of us don't. I think that ther are some people whose gift could be in the psychic area. But I honestly think those people are as rare as Beethoven or Einstein. Most of the mediums out there are pretenders.

I've never gone to one and wouldn't waste my money.

my thoughts exactly. I did have my palms read at Venice Beach once when I was 19 and that was kind of fun and eerily true. I think I gave a $2 donation. I might do that again, but yeah I don't think I would go and see a medium.

Fairy
10-23-2012, 04:47 PM
If so, did you believe it or not?

Hmm, I should make a poll! (Although I feel like this is a topic for Fairy! ;))

Flove! I'm so glad you did this one, I'm not the only funky weirdo! Ok, I voted, and believe it or not, yes, I've been to a medium, but it was all fiction. Now, i do absolutely believe in psychic ability of many kinds. Scientifically, I believe it is possible some I can explain and some I can't and just have faith that it's soemthign I don't understand. This chick that I went to the first time I do not believe. I believe SHE believes it (as opposed to someone cold reading me and trying to pull one over on me). But she was wrong on a great number of things. Nice lady, but either she has the ability and misinterpreted what she was sensing, or she doesn't have the ability she thinks she does.

Then i got my tarot done at the Renaissance Faire this past summer. Bogus. But I do not at all believe in any way shape or form in astrology-based ANYTHING. Why did I go? Why not, it was interesting.

Twoboos
10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
OK, I ask b/c I just found out there is "An Evening with a Medium" event nearby on Fri night. I am thinking of going - it's the night before the 4yr anniversay of my Mom's death, so I'm SURE anything that comes up, I'll be thinking it's real. (Medium: Does anyone have a mother? Me: OMG, it's MY MOM!!! <sobbing hysterically> :rotflmao:)

It's not 1-on-1, but a group setting. I have heard that those who have passed try to come through around the anniversary of their death. So maybe my mom will be around. But I don't know if I could handle it, I freak out very easily.

We'll see.

Jacksmommy2b
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
My great aunt reads tarot cards as a hobby and has done it for years. My mom (fresh out of a bad breakup) and I went to see her and she gave my mom a really detailed reading of her future husband. We both had a great time but sort of laughed it off as mom swore she would never marry again.

Four years later mom did marry again and when she and new hubby were moving we found the notes mom saved from the reading. It was flat out scary how dead on she was about how they would meet and about my step father in general.

It was enough to make this skeptic a bit more open minded. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

maestramommy
10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
No. I went to a MNO one year where they had a psychic, and that's as close as I've gotten to the nether world. Didn't consult the psychic.

Since I'm a Christian, consulting a medium or other seems like an act of bad faith, no pun intended.

JElaineB
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
OK, I ask b/c I just found out there is "An Evening with a Medium" event nearby on Fri night. I am thinking of going - it's the night before the 4yr anniversay of my Mom's death, so I'm SURE anything that comes up, I'll be thinking it's real. (Medium: Does anyone have a mother? Me: OMG, it's MY MOM!!! <sobbing hysterically> :rotflmao:)

It's not 1-on-1, but a group setting. I have heard that those who have passed try to come through around the anniversary of their death. So maybe my mom will be around. But I don't know if I could handle it, I freak out very easily.

We'll see.

You totally should go. It is possible your mom even put the idea in your head.

JElaineB
10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Since I'm a Christian, consulting a medium or other seems like an act of bad faith, no pun intended.

I'm curious about this, since mediums are communicating with those who are in the afterlife (i.e., heaven) and Christians believe in heaven, I don't see why it would be a problem for someone who identifies as a Christian? Unless your specific religion forbids it?

maestramommy
10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm curious about this, since mediums are communicating with those who are in the afterlife (i.e., heaven) and Christians believe in heaven, I don't see why it would be a problem for someone who identifies as a Christian? Unless your specific religion forbids it?

Well, depending on how literally you hold to scriptural teaching, both the old and new testament contain passages strictly forbidding mixing it up with the occult, consulting mediums, and having anything to do with divination. Traditional Christian teaching frowns on these practices as demonic. Rather, if you do these things, demons posing as agents of information will deceive and ensnare you. I think the reason for this is because you are trying to find out something that is really better for you not to know (like the future, and what the dead want to say to you about the future maybe), and that is not living faithfully. Living faithfully means believing no matter what happens God will be with you, so it's not something you should be worrying about, you should be living in the here and now as well as you can.

This may be more due to morality tales that actual scriptural passages, but there is plenty of ancient and contemporary lore on people who sorta dip their toe into harmless stuff, and before they know it they're in the clutches of Satan and all his minions. I have also heard IRL tales about this. Who knows what is really happening. And then there are those who say it's all bunk so it's a waste of your money when who you're really dealing with is a person who is very adept at reading you. Could be a little of both. For me personally it's just something I stay away from.

JElaineB
10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, depending on how literally you hold to scriptural teaching, both the old and new testament contain passages strictly forbidding mixing it up with the occult, consulting mediums, and having anything to do with divination. Traditional Christian teaching frowns on these practices as demonic. Rather, if you do these things, demons posing as agents of information will deceive and ensnare you. I think the reason for this is because you are trying to find out something that is really better for you not to know (like the future, and what the dead want to say to you about the future maybe), and that is not living faithfully. Living faithfully means believing no matter what happens God will be with you, so it's not something you should be worrying about, you should be living in the here and now as well as you can.

This may be more due to morality tales that actual scriptural passages, but there is plenty of ancient and contemporary lore on people who sorta dip their toe into harmless stuff, and before they know it they're in the clutches of Satan and all his minions. I have also heard IRL tales about this. Who knows what is really happening. And then there are those who say it's all bunk so it's a waste of your money when who you're really dealing with is a person who is very adept at reading you. Could be a little of both. For me personally it's just something I stay away from.

Thanks for your response. From what I understand (I've learned from others who know a lot more about this than me), I don't think mediums generally predict the future, since they are communicating with dead people who don't know any more about the future than we do, I think that is more in the realm of what a psychic might do. But I do think that someone who doesn't know what they are doing can draw out malevolent earthbound spirits who can create problems. Any medium who has any clue what they are doing, however, will be sure to invoke protection from God (or whatever word they use that is equivalent for them), and also will ask questions to ensure they know who they are communicating with (and I should note that most mediums work with a dead medium/spirit guide on the other side who assists in this process).

MamaMolly
10-23-2012, 09:39 PM
You know, I answered no but having read other responses I did have coffee grounds read once, and she was dead on. She also used matchsticks to predict Lula's gender, which of course was a 50/50 shot, but it also worked with Dolly. :)

Fairy
10-23-2012, 10:08 PM
You totally should go. It is possible your mom even put the idea in your head.

I agree, I would go. Cold reading is a nasty business, but Ithink there are signs of that that I would see immediately. But there is no harm in going as long as you don't COUNT on it that u WILL hear from your mom. Go with an open but skeptically careful mind.

reneed
10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I went to one and he spoke to me about specific situations that happened between my grandfsther and I before he passed. He brought up a dream I had about my grandfather. He knew specifics about my Dad's death. He was totally right about everything and even knew names. Blew me away and really left me feeling at peace. He was only 25. for the hour I spent with him and I feel like he was worth so much more!

KLD313
10-24-2012, 12:51 AM
I went to one and he spoke to me about specific situations that happened between my grandfsther and I before he passed. He brought up a dream I had about my grandfather. He knew specifics about my Dad's death. He was totally right about everything and even knew names. Blew me away and really left me feeling at peace. He was only 25. for the hour I spent with him and I feel like he was worth so much more!

That's wonderful! I've had similar experiences and it can bring so much comfort when you know it's real.

Twoboos
04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Just wanted to update this. I went to the medium a few weeks ago. A friend went months ago and said this woman seemed legit. A 30min visit was a Groupon so I picked one up.

This woman was the real deal. She hit things that were so random, there is no way she could have Googled me and figured it out. She said everyone who came into the room (a great aunt, my mom and my dad) were dressed up as if it were a special occasion. And in fact, it was my birthday.

I am glad I went. It was crazy. I was sobbing. I may go again, just to see what happens.

Pennylane
04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I never have but since my mom passed away, I wouldn't mind trying it. It would have to be a reputable one (if there is such a thing).

Although I'm not a believer, I would pretty much try anything to hear something about her again.

Ann

klwa
04-29-2013, 01:25 PM
No, and probably won't ever. I'm somewhere between "want to see what the fuss is about" & "what a crock".

Twoboos
04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Although I'm not a believer, I would pretty much try anything to hear something about her again.

Ann

That's how I felt, too. The medium said she could see my mom cooking and baking stuff for me, like my favorite cookies. If she had said she was baking a bday cake I probably would have completely flipped out.

gatorsmom
04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to update this. I went to the medium a few weeks ago. A friend went months ago and said this woman seemed legit. A 30min visit was a Groupon so I picked one up.

This woman was the real deal. She hit things that were so random, there is no way she could have Googled me and figured it out. She said everyone who came into the room (a great aunt, my mom and my dad) were dressed up as if it were a special occasion. And in fact, it was my birthday.

I am glad I went. It was crazy. I was sobbing. I may go again, just to see what happens.

I'm so glad you had that uplifting experience on your birthday. I hope it stays with you the rest of the day.

I do believe some people have an ability to see things the rest of us can't. And i imagine the people who can see things all "see" to varying degrees, kind of like having musical talent. And I firmly believe our soul lives on after our body dies. So it's very possible, IMHO, that she was legit. :hug5:

Happy Birthday!

hellokitty
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
I have never been to one. I tend to think that it's not real, or maybe just the ones that family members have been to have been bunk. Mil has a guy in south korea that she calls. We call him the voodoo man. Anyway, she used to call him quite often, but from what she said it seemed like he was wrong more often than he was right. I felt like he just told her what she wanted to her. My parents consulted with one, one time after a series of bad things and my mom got kind of pissed at the guy. He only had negative things to say, nothing that positive and of course, my dad ended up blaming a lot of the negative things this guy said on her (which is typical of him, he felt there should have been more positive things, but due to my mom, that's why there were so many negative things, honestly, my dad and his family are the types who seem to attract negative forces of the universe, he's even had a family member from the past who put a curse their family line, lovely), so she felt like it made her life harder being told negative stuff. My mom did say that the guy mentioned something about our property that made have pause, that he wasn't fake. DH went to some person while we were in New Orleans and I don't even remember what she said. Nothing memorable. I don't think I could go to one. I am more focused on the negatives and if one told me something bad was going to happen, then I know that I would become really anxious thinking about it, even if it was fake, I'd constantly wonder. So, I'd rather just not put myself in that situation.