PDA

View Full Version : Some tasty low carb comfort food

echoesofspring
10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I have no trouble doing low carb during the summer, lots of salads, grilling, etc. But I find it harder in the winter, i.e. DH is doing primal (with a bit of dairy) and I'd really like to be making soups with beans, etc. And a lot of times the low carb casseroles just have to much fat or processed foods in them for me, even if fat may be ok, they just don't sound appealing to me. So we do a lot of roasted chicken/fish and veggies and we're getting kind of bored ...But I made these two recipes in the last week and they were good!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-moussaka/#axzz2A9Q27WVm
Ok, this takes a while to prepare, but after I had salted the eggplant, I roasted the slices in the oven instead of sauteing it, which saved some effort, sped things up. Pureeing the kale into the tomato sauce is a clever trick, but it does make the sauce green instead of red. I have been craving eggplant, and really wanted eggplant parm, but this was a good compromise for DH. He's pretty meh about eggplant, and loved it. I did up the meat quantity, as I had 2 really large eggplants and 1 really large kale bundle, and I wanted to make sure it was 'meaty' enough for my caveman ;) And I did throw some ricotta into the yougurt/egg mixture b/c, like I said, I really wanted eggplant parm.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/recipes/r-penzeysSlowCookerCarnitas.html
I'm not a carnitas expert so I don't know how 'authentic' this may be, but it was super yummy. As much as I wanted to serve it with beans and rice, we did a large salad instead. I made a 2nd batch for my IL, MIL was having surgery last week. The 2nd time I made it, it literally took 4 minutes to throw into the crockpot (I didn't do the final crisping in the oven for them since I didn't know when they would eat it). Roasted veggies on the side for that version (FIL is low carb/diabetic).

Beth24
10-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks. Those look great.