PDA

View Full Version : where do you get your news from?

AnnieW625
10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I listen to talk radio the most because I spend an hour 90 minutes in my car commuting each day. I listen to one of two NPR stations (KPCC, and KCRW--I am a member of this station, but am slightly starting to prefer KPCC), and a local all talk station, KFI 640 (except I never listen between 9-12), and sometimes I listen two other stations (News 980, and KTALK 1150 as well).

If we happen to be watching the TV news at home it is a mix bag of local stations, but two independent stations are usually my go tos for local news, and I prefer NBC for the network national news or BBC News on BBC America.

I don't read the paper much anymore, but I check the Sacramento Bee and the OC Register a couple of times a week. My hometown paper is horrible these days and not worth reading so I cancelled my subscription, something I thought I would never do.

For more current commentary from both sides of the aisle I'll often read The Huffington Post.

(the poll is really for national options, but if the local news is the only thing you watch on your TV then choose other)

swissair81
10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
For domestic news, I try and read a selection of sites, because I find them all biased in some way. I read the NYT and WSJ (and sometimes Washington Post). If it's about Israel, I don't find anything local that is actually accurate, and I usually read Israeli (left and right) sites to find out what is going on for really.

citymama
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I rely most on the NYTimes.com for news. I also read the Post, LA Times, WSJ, AP and Reuters newswires online. I occasionally listen to NPR (I telecommute so no drive time news), I read the New Yorker cover to cover. I don't have a TV but I watch a few shows streaming (not news though).

tropicalmom
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
mainly nytimes.com but others on occasion. Prefer BBC News and PBS Newshour for TV news.

bisous
10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
NPR mostly. I hate newsprint and I haven't found an online free source that I really love. My only issue with npr is that I'm a visual learner and my retention for stuff I hear online is really bad. Like I'll catch the gist of an argument or a point but can't remember who said it or what program etc.

I'd love to recommendations for good online sites for news that are free!

maestramommy
10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
1)NPR -almost all daily news from here, as well as a few talk shows like Diane Rehm, Fresh Air, The Exchange (NH issues)

2) NYT when I see an article on someone's FB or Dh shoots me an article, or I see one HERE.

3) Atlantic - we have a subscription

4) Other - if I see something from Washington Post, or Huffpost. But these are almost entirely Op eds, not really news.

5) And ever since I heard Rachel Maddow interviewed on Fresh Air, I've had a crush, so sometimes I'll listen to her for commentary, because she's smart, articulate, and funny. :D

6) Oops, can't forget my town paper! Comes out every weekend. Actually quite informative on local and sometimes state doings.

Snow mom
10-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Can I claim I get my news here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7AreTsuFUOs

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
It's funny, I've always preferred ABC if I watch news bc my parents did. I loved Peter Jennings. I thought it was great that my parents had good taste. Turns out, before they had cable that was the only network they could get and they didn't really care for it.

I mostly listen to NPR or read CNN. I skim headlines on Slate. If I could stay up, I'd probably use the Daily Show for news. :)

mommylamb
10-24-2012, 08:32 AM
I read a lot of different policy focused papers for work, and my office is connected to a library service so I get daily clippings from a lot of trade publications and I have access to all the CRS reports as they come out. Most days I scan through Congressional Quarterly (CQ) Today, CQ weekly (obviously once a week), Roll Call, Politico and then read bits and pieces from a bunch of energy publications. I also read the Washington Post. I listen to NPR during my (way too long) commute.

I really don't watch TV news much at all. The only punditry show I enjoy is Morning Joe.

Melaine
10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
DH. he tells me the important stuff without bias.

hillview
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Daily, online
NYT
CNN

Occasionally
NPR (on the radio)

Rarely (like in hotel rooms)
CNN TV

katydid1971
10-24-2012, 11:33 AM
NPR and the Daily Show

Fairy
10-24-2012, 11:37 AM
There are too many overlapping choices, so i didn' vote. I get my news -->

* CNN.com
* NPR
* Local Liberal talk radio satation
* Local newsradio station
* Sometimes the evening news
* I tape the debates on msnbc, ABC, or NBC
* Huffington Post for interesting commentary on the news
* Jon Stewart? Hahaha! Kidding, I just laugh at the news there.

elektra
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
My favorite newsweekly is The Week.
I read articles on several websites, including a lot of industry-specific stuff for my job (ClickZ anyone? ;).
I probably start with CNN.com the most.
I find my way to HuffingtonPost often too.
I read the LA Times print edition.

Oh and US Weekly and People :ROTFLMAO:

Indianamom2
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
I generally get my news from talk radio and various sources on the internet (everything and anything goes there). No one place will ever be completely accurate and balanced, although some sources try a heck of a lot harder than others!

Globetrotter
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
NPR, PBS and CNN

I only watch MSNBC and Fox for entertainment value. :rotflmao:

Fairy
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Does www.blindgossip.com count?