PDA

View Full Version : Disability insurance

diamond
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
My dh has minimal disability nsurance thru work. Any way to supplement it? Thru which company? Any recommendations? Do they do physical exam as life insurance? Ty

hellokitty
10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
We went through our the insurance agents that do our home/car insurance. They offered us a disability plan pkg. It was expensive, but I have a family member who went through a situation where his disability insurance saved their butts. So, that scared us into making sure we got it. I don't remember if DH had to get an exam or not.

hillview
10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
we have one through Northwest mutual.

rachelh
10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
There are alot of supplemental insurance companies that offer plans thru employers. I would check with his HR department if they have any reps they bring in as a benefit to the employees. One that comes to mind is AFLAC but there quite a few out there.

HannaAddict
10-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Some plans will let you supplement through work and it is usually cheaper than stand alone. But many employer plans also won't let you supplement. We have it through NW Mutual, just be aware, disability is more than term life insurance and the odds are greater you will use disability than life insurance. Good thing to get, many people don't think about it.