PDA

View Full Version : Carseats for travel

mikeys_mom
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
We are flying with all 4 kids to FL in 6 weeks and I need some help figuring out which seats to bring.

We rarely travel by plane so I don't want to buy anything new for this trip, I just need to figure out the best options out of my existing seats.
On the way there we are likely taking a flight with 1 stop and on the way back we are flying direct. We are not bringing a stroller and I plan to check the carseats with the luggage. If anything gets lost I'll deal with it. My parents are meeting us at the airport and I can easily send them to Walmart or Target to get replacements.

DS - He is 8yo and uses a LBB. I can either bring a Clek Oto (the one with no armrests) or the Harmony Youth one. We will either check it in our luggage or DS will bring it as a carry-on. Leaning towards bringing the Harmony because it's lighter.

DD1 - She is almost 6yo and sits in a Montery at home. I plan to bring a LBB for travel. She sits nicely and we are not doing a ton of driving so I figure I'm ok with her in the LBB. Any reason to bring a HBB? Assuming she's ok in the LBB I'll bring a Clek Oto for her (we have 2 of them so I could bring one for her and one for DS).

Twins - They are 3.5yo and still in harnessed seats FFing. I have a Maestro that I will for sure bring as it's my lightest harnessed seat. My options for the 2nd harnessed seat are;

1) MA that she is currently riding in - Heavier and possible concern about airline breaking it. But, soooo easy to install.
2) MA that just expired in mid-October, so will be about 7 weeks expired at the time of travel. - Would this be safe? At least I don't have to worry about the airline ruining my main seat.
3) Graco Cargo - Much lighter than the MA but I find it sometimes difficult to install in some cars. I can typically get it in pretty tight but it can sometimes take a while to get it in properly.

What are my best options?

Joolsplus2
10-24-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd do Harmonys for both big kids, and I bet that the Cargo stacks neatly in the Maestro to wheel them around the airport? Should be an easy enough install with LATCH? I also wouldn't feel bad using a slightly expired Marathon for one last trip (it's your seat, you know if it's been recalled, know if all the parts are there, know how it was stored and used, etc.)

mikeys_mom
10-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Will the Harmony be a lot easier to deal with through the airport than the clek? I only have 1 Harmony but 2 cleks. If it's a lot easier I could pick up another at Walmart but I really don't have any use for it other than this trip. I've still got 3 years left on the cleks until they expire and I :heartbeat: those seats so much for my numerous 3-across carpool situations.

Good to know that it will be ok to still use the old MA. I know exactly where it has been the past 6 years - in constant use in my minivan. I'll have to see what our luggage situation is and how much we need to haul along to see if it's worthwhile lugging a heavier seat.

As for the Cargo, it should be ok with latch, but I still find it not the easiest to install. The shape of the base doesn't mesh that well with lots of vehicle seats and I need to really use lots of muscle to position properly and tighten. You are right that it will stack neatly in the Maestro for the dreaded airport. Despite the harder install, probably my best choice.

Thanks for the advice.

Joolsplus2
10-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I was just thinking the Harmony weighs a little less, and it can't be bent if you drop it (my Clek gets dropped in the garage, dh won't admit it, and the LATCHes have to be strongarmed back to straightness :tongue5:)