PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comedian?

marymoo86
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Maybe in my advancing age I am just out of touch with the newer comedians out and about now. I like "cleaner" comedy and a lot seems to delve into the not so clean stuff. Exception is I did love Dave Chappelle.

Other favorites:
Mitch Hedberg (now deceased)
"It takes forever to cook a baked potato. Sometimes, I'll put one in the oven even if I don't want one, cuz by the time it's done, who knows?"
"I love refried beans. That's why I want to try fried beans. Maybe they're just as good, and we're wasting time."
"When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was."

Also Bill Cosby!

hillview
10-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Stephen Cobert
Jon Stewart

blisstwins
10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Bob Newhart....seriously, I am so glad his show is back on the air!

blisstwins
10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Traci Ullman and Jennifer French too

hellokitty
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Jon Stewart

Louis CK (he is so good, I cannot imagine anyone not liking his sense of humor, it is a very humble type of humor and he talks a LOT about parenting)

Jo Koy (I love when he talks about his mother at wii bowling and also about parenting a little boy)

Kathy Griffin & Margaret Cho (yes, I realize that these two can be rude and crude, but I still love that they say what they want to say and aren't ashamed of it)

wellyes
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Louis CK is one smart cookie - but - he is crude.
Chris Rock

MommyofAmaya
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Definitely not your taste but my favorites are Bill Hicks and Russell Peters. :hysterical:

elektra
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
For stand up guys:
Eddie Murphy- My softball friends and I would watch Delirious and Raw over and over. I know he is totally crude but he is just the first one who comes to mind- it was my first appreciation of stand up comedy.
Bernie Mac- I was sad when he recently passed away! I loved his TV show too.
Eddie Izzard
George Lopez- Partly because I have never seen DH crack up so hard watching him.

General comedy:
I loved Chevy Chase in the Vacation movies, Fletch- he did get a little to weird for me in recent years though.

I also really like Jon Stewart too, and I really look forward to Bill Heder as Stefon on SNL. ;)

Oh and Will Ferrel- he is from my hometown! I just look at his face and crack up.

sntm
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I miss Bill Cosby. "Dad MAAAADE us eat the chocolate cake!"

DSO's retired small town Southern parents travelled to NYC to see Chris Rock :laugh

I love Mitch Hedberg also. Another favorite I dated briefly, so don't feel like outing :D

ETA: how could I forget Eddie Izzard? I missed a plane once because I was watching him on my computer. Love Bernie Mac also.

AnnieW625
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Love comedians!

Jeff Foxworthy, this guy is still funny. His Redneck album is still funny all these years later.

George Lopez, his comedy is like living in DH's extended family, it cracks DH up all of the time. I want to see him live.

Carlos Mencia, his TV show made him kind of rude and crude (which I didn't like), but I started listening to him when he was small timer on a syndicated radio show about 12-13 yrs. ago.

Adam Corolla, and Jimmy Kimmel. If The Man Show had a female fan club I'd be in it. I love those guys, especially when they work together.

Chris Rock

Bill Cosby is still amazing. I watch the Cosby Show every so often these days.

Kevin Smith, and Jason Mewes, I saw their live show they do at the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club last year and it was great. Not for the faint of heart is there is a lot of sex talk going on, but they are awesome. Jay, and Silent Bob live on.

George Carlin, I never really got into 70s comedians, but there was something about Carlin that made him soo likeable, and truthful.

scrooks
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Jerry Seinfeld
Wanda Sykes
Tina Fey
Chris Farley

OMG...that was my 3000th post! Glad it was something fun!

Indianamom2
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Bill Cosby
Bob Newhart
Bill Engvall
Jeff Foxworthy

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Kevin Smith, and Jason Mewes, I saw their live show they do at the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club last year and it was great. Not for the faint of heart is there is a lot of sex talk going on, but they are awesome. Jay, and Silent Bob live on.

I think that Kevin Smith's whole live show repertoire is available on his Smodcast network (http://smodcast.com/); he's been tweeting about live shows coming up, too, but they've been falling on days I can't do!

I absolutely love him because of how gracious he was to my brother Joe when we went to a signing event at our "local" mall about 12 years ago. I think it was an extension of the junket for Vulgarthon in Red Bank.

codex57
10-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Gabriel Iglesias - he's young (36) and clean. He's got one of his shows on Netflix.

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
To answer the question ...

George Carlin. The man was a genius. His fascination with language in general was absolutely amazing; he could have been a linguist with all that curiosity! He is greatly missed.

Chris Rock. Yes, he cusses quite a lot, but the points he makes about relationships, parenting and growing up are absolutely hysterical.

Bill Cosby. If you haven't heard his "Noah" or "Dad is great; he gave us chocolate cake!" bits, you're missing out.

Steve Martin. Another genius, in my opinion.

Kevin Smith ... and, by extension, the entire Askewniverse, including Scott Mosier, Mewes, Jen ... articulate and profane, thoughtful and perverse. There's nobody like him.

Abbot & Costello. OK, they're both dead, but I've been laughing at these guys since I was 6. If you've never heard "Who's on First?" in any of its recorded iterations, you're missing out. The routine was inducted into Cooperstown!!!

Spike Jones. Not the director, the musician. He was popular in the 30s & 40s and did a lot with sound effects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvt4b_qwC_Q

'Weird Al' Yankovic. Yes, the "Eat It" guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI (He is also a genius.)

Allan Sherman. Again, blast from (your parents') past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjiWS__Mp0

I'll listen to anybody if I find them funny, though, "blue" or not.

Cam&Clay
10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Gabriel Iglesias - he's young (36) and clean. He's got one of his shows on Netflix.

Is that "Iglesias with an I?"

Cam&Clay
10-24-2012, 12:52 PM
We just saw Lewis Black a few weeks ago. He was great.

We have tickets for Louis CK on New Year's Eve. I cannot wait. He's my current favorite. I love his stuff on parenting. Whenever DS2 is insisting something is right when we know it is wrong, DH and I just look at each other and say, "Pig Newtons." When DS2 says something that makes no sense, we say, "Yes, sometimes dogs are brown."

Other favorites: Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, Bill Engvall, Frank Caliendo, Patton Oswalt (I have a connection to him so I have to love him!)

AngelaS
10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
We love Tim Hawkins. He's a Christian comedian, super clean and very funny.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Ron White (hiding)

hollybloom24
10-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Jerry Seinfeld
Larry David
Louis CK
Richard Lewis
JB Smoove
Kevin Nealon

gatorsmom
10-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Ron White (hiding)

:yeahthat: I love him.

Kathleen Madigan is my favorite. I love to listen to her on XM radio when I'm driving (without kids in the car).

I really like Bill Cosby though too.

mackmama
10-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Bill Cosby
Chris Rock
Dane Cook
Eddie Murphy
Chevy Chase
Steve Martin

MaiseyDog
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Brian Regan - we saw him live a few years ago and I don't think I have ever laughed as hard.

DietCokeLover
10-24-2012, 02:34 PM
We love Tim Hawkins. He's a Christian comedian, super clean and very funny.

:yeahthat: love the song about the things you should not say to your wife!

I also love Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld.

codex57
10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Is that "Iglesias with an I?"

http://fluffyguy.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Iglesias

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Brian Regan - we saw him live a few years ago and I don't think I have ever laughed as hard.

I <3 Brian Regan.

I've used "the big yellow one's the Sun" in conversations with DH whenever I need a non-sequitur.

3isEnough
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Jon Stewart

Louis CK (he is so good, I cannot imagine anyone not liking his sense of humor, it is a very humble type of humor and he talks a LOT about parenting)

:yeahthat: Love both of them. Sometimes I'm amazed at Jon's wit, he just cracks me up.

brittone2
10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
DH and I love old Bill Cosby. We rented Bill Cosby's Parenthood (or was it Fatherhood?) the night before I went into labor with DS1. I think I laughed so hard that night I caused DS1 to shift into a better position (had one huge movement in my belly while watching ;) )

These days I don't have cable but still love Jon Stewart and Colbert. We go through spurts of watching online.

sidmand
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
We just saw Lewis Black a few weeks ago. He was great.

We have tickets for Louis CK on New Year's Eve. I cannot wait. He's my current favorite. I love his stuff on parenting. Whenever DS2 is insisting something is right when we know it is wrong, DH and I just look at each other and say, "Pig Newtons." When DS2 says something that makes no sense, we say, "Yes, sometimes dogs are brown."

I love Louis CK though we keep starting his show and not finishing. But we've said the sometimes dogs are brown line many a time!!!!

Fairy
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Of all time? George Carlin

Also -->

Bill Cosby
Kathy Griffin
Eddie Murphy

There are others ...

jenfromnj
10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Love Louis CK, Jon Stewart and Colbert, as well as George Carlin.

My current favorite is probably Jim Gaffigan, we saw him live recently and he was very funny.

hellokitty
10-24-2012, 06:19 PM
My current favorite is probably Jim Gaffigan, we saw him live recently and he was very funny.

Omg, how did I forget Jim Gaffigan? He is so funny! If you have never seen his standup about his wife's homebirth, look it up!

oneontheway
10-24-2012, 06:21 PM
:yeahthat: I love him.

Kathleen Madigan is my favorite. I love to listen to her on XM radio when I'm driving (without kids in the car).

I really like Bill Cosby though too.

Love Kathleen Madigan, she is so funny! Now I wish I had XM radio.

azazela
10-24-2012, 06:34 PM
George Carlin - I don't think anyone even comes close
Louis CK - my favorite out of the comics performing right now
Kevin Smith - not really stand up but, man is he funny. Love the movies, love the book :love-retry:
Stephen Colbert/Jon Stewart
Howard Stern - again, not stand up, but Howard and his staff are hilarious!

maestramommy
10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't know too many, but not counting political satire, I love Bill Cosby, and Eddie Murphy. :D

stinkyfeet
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
DH and I like Russell Peters. Hes so funny and laid back when he's on stage.

lkarp
10-24-2012, 08:46 PM
I heard both Mike Birbiglia and Tig Notaro on This American Life and found both of them very funny.

Cam&Clay
10-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Ron White (hiding)

We just got tickets to see him! No need to hide!

Cam&Clay
10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
http://fluffyguy.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Iglesias

LOL! Codex, I was referring to his bit about the woman on the phone insisting that you cannot spell Iglesias with an I! Thought you were a fan of his!

Cam&Clay
10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
DH and I love old Bill Cosby. We rented Bill Cosby's Parenthood (or was it Fatherhood?) the night before I went into labor with DS1. I think I laughed so hard that night I caused DS1 to shift into a better position (had one huge movement in my belly while watching ;) )

That was Bill Cosby: Himself. It is quoted around here all the time.

gobadgers
10-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I love Brian Regan. We have his DVDs and still watch them because they keep getting funnier! We went and saw him sometime last year too. His bits about driving himself to the ER and trying to get UPS to come pick up a package are so funny. And his material is completely clean - it seems so unusual to be funny AND clean.

I like Jim Gaffigan too. And DH and I crack up every time we see Dimitri Martin.

We saw someone on comedy central a while ago that was cracking us up too, but I can't remember the guys name. He talked about taking an excruciating flight to Las Vegas with a bunch of guys from Jersey. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I died laughing!! Maybe I'm easily amused though :)

eno0609
10-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I love Brian Regan. We have his DVDs and still watch them because they keep getting funnier! We went and saw him sometime last year too. His bits about driving himself to the ER and trying to get UPS to come pick up a package are so funny. And his material is completely clean - it seems so unusual to be funny AND clean.
:yeahthat:
DH and I also love Brian Regan! Saw him live a few months ago and he was great. We can watch his bits over and over. Love his airport stuff too and his facial expressions are so funny.

Ocean Zhang
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Tom Cotter, runner up in America's Got Talent 2012.

Karinyc
10-24-2012, 11:18 PM
George Carlin - I don't think anyone even comes close
Louis CK - my favorite out of the comics performing right now
Kevin Smith - not really stand up but, man is he funny. Love the movies, love the book :love-retry:
Stephen Colbert/Jon Stewart
Howard Stern - again, not stand up, but Howard and his staff are hilarious!

:yeahthat: Also...
Jim Gaffigan,
Bill Maher (great live)
Lisa Lampanelli (also great live & super nice)
Chris Rock (stand-up),
Cedric (only stand-up), & the other "Kings of Comedy"comedians
and, not to everyone's liking but, Bill Hicks, Paul Mooney, & Richard Pryor.
So sad about Mitch Hedberg.
Right now, I :love5: Louis CK.

Penny's Pappa
10-24-2012, 11:58 PM
My favorite is easily George Carlin. Put simply, the man was a genius. I could listen to his "Airline Announcements" all day. Even now I can't fly without chuckling to myself as his jokes run through my head (Seatbelt: High-tech ****!).

Others mentioned Kevin Smith. I went to "An Evening with Kevin Smith" event a few years ago and I laughed my ass off for 3 straight hours. He's not a comedian in the traditional sense - he doesn't tell jokes and he doesn't have bits (at least I assume they're not bits) - he just tells you about the absolutely insane adventures, meetings, relationships, etc. that he's had throughout his life. Hilarious stuff.

I haven't seen much of Louis C.K., but I like what I've seen so far. There's definitely some Carlin in there. His TV show is pretty funny. And, yes, he can be VERY crude.

MontrealMum
10-25-2012, 12:55 AM
I agree with many of the previously mentioned picks...

...but I feel like I ought to represent for the Canadians, because we're pretty good at producing comedic talent :canada:

My picks are: Mary Walsh, Cathy Jones, Rick Mercer, and Shaun Majumder. There are many, many more, especially those that don't really do standup, but those are my top picks.

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned either Whoopi Goldberg or Billy Crystal. I saw Whoopi at Just for Laughs a few years ago and she was amazing!

gatorsmom
10-25-2012, 01:06 AM
I forgot to mention Ellen Degeneres. I saw her about 20 years ago when she was doing stand-up and she was fantastic.

lizzywednesday
10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
I forgot to mention Ellen Degeneres. I saw her about 20 years ago when she was doing stand-up and she was fantastic.

After her sitcom, I caught one of her super-early filmed bits on Comedy Central or something and I laughed until I nearly peed myself at the "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" bit.

She is one funny lady.

cntrymoon2
10-25-2012, 11:45 PM
LOVE Mike Birbiglia, Jim Gaffigan, Adam Ferrara, Kathleen Madigan, Jon Steward, and the early standup from Ellen Degeneres.

We've seen Jim Gaffigan twice, he's hilarious in person. We have tickets to Mike Birbiglia in January- I'm so excited! I want to see his new movie Sleepwalk With Me, but it never made it to a theater near me :(