PDA

View Full Version : Time out for the political forum! - reopened 11/5

alandenisefields
10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Passions are running high in the political forum, so we've decided to declare a time out. We're going to put the forum on ice to let things cool down and then we'll decide where to go from here!

We may bring back the forum after a week . . . or wait until after the election.

Meanwhile, please no political threads in the Lounge while we and the mod team take a break!

Thanks!

Alan & Denise Fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS
Board owners

----------
Forum reopened 11/5 - please see announcement at top of Political Talk.

maestramommy
10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
LOL, I was just about to post a thread asking what happened to it! :p

Totally understand. Thanks to the Fields and mods for allowing a political forum at all!:thumbsup:

cntrymoon2
10-27-2012, 04:14 AM
In the meantime, can we have a sticky with links to some non partisan fact checking sites? I'm ready to do early voting tomorrow and came by here to find out where everyone recommends for fact checking :)

smiles33
10-27-2012, 10:18 AM
In the meantime, can we have a sticky with links to some non partisan fact checking sites? I'm ready to do early voting tomorrow and came by here to find out where everyone recommends for fact checking :)

I like the League of Women Voters' smart voter site: http://smartvoter.org/. You enter your address and it pulls up candidates and propositions on your ballot. They include links to websites, pros/cons arguments (written by others not LOWV), and it's a good starting point just to get a lay of the land. I usually follow up with google to see who is endorsing which side and why.

sunnyside
10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I totally understand! I was just coming to see what people were saying in here, and noticed it is gone!

janine
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Any chance of bringing this forum back with the Election tomorrow - or permit people to post on it in the Lounge? It seems unfortuante that we are not to discuss what is clearly on everyone's mind.

HannaAddict
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
It didn't seem like many discussions were really taking place.

wellyes
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd like to see an election thread.

I was active in the political forum, and I just want to say to the posters who I often clashed with (you know who you are :))..... I really learned a lot from our discussions. Sometimes it helped me feel stronger in my own view, sometimes it made me see a perspective I truly hadn't thought of, and a handful of times I even changed my mind about something. It was useful for me. Thanks to all who took part in the spirited debate.

mommylamb
11-05-2012, 01:09 PM

I was active in the political forum, and I just want to say to the posters who I often clashed with (you know who you are :))..... I really learned a lot from our discussions. Sometimes it helped me feel stronger in my own view, sometimes it made me see a perspective I truly hadn't thought of, and a handful of times I even changed my mind about something. It was useful for me. Thanks to all who took part in the spirited debate.
:yeahthat: I agree. Maybe I'm just nuts, but I enjoy the sparring. Even if it makes my blood pressure go up sometimes.

elbenn
11-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Yes, I agree. It would be nice to be able to post about the election.

Ceepa
11-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I was just coming to request the same thing. At this point it seems worthwhile to discuss the election.

StantonHyde
11-05-2012, 04:38 PM
And I will say, no, not worth it for this board.

niccig
11-05-2012, 04:40 PM

I agree. This election is especially divisive and close. Many people will be upset with the result, whatever it is.

citymama
11-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Ditto. Maybe we could have two non-partisan threads along the lines of "I voted" - as voting itself is a big milestone - and a second thread to discuss the final result. The threads could be started by a mod. with the rules of discussion up on the top. I think not having those two discussions would be awkward on these boards, but re-opening the entire forum would be a mistake.

wellyes
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Or, maybe, if there is a thread, people who don't care to be part of it do not open it.

We talk abortion sometimes here, and other famously controversial topics (movie snacks!) This election is very important to all of us. The idea we can never ever talk politics here is pretty sad.

elbenn
11-05-2012, 05:39 PM
The idea we can never ever talk politics here is pretty sad.

Yes, I agree. A wide variety of topics are discussed on this board. It seems that if people don't want to have threads about the election, then just don't go to those threads.

Cam&Clay
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I agree that it is very sad that we cannot discuss something this important because of a few people.

codex57
11-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree. This election is especially divisive and close. Many people will be upset with the result, whatever it is.

Isn't that the case with every election?

Globetrotter
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
The idea we can never ever talk politics here is pretty sad.

:yeahthat: Maybe open a thread with a reminder to be respectful of other's feelings..

rin
11-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Or, maybe, if there is a thread, people who don't care to be part of it do not open it.

We talk abortion sometimes here, and other famously controversial topics (movie snacks!) This election is very important to all of us. The idea we can never ever talk politics here is pretty sad.

:yeahthat:

I've really enjoyed the political forum this election. I'm not a frequent poster, but I loved reading it and getting different perspectives on the issues. I feel like my understanding of a number of issues was so enriched by the political forum. Yes, I agree that there was some poor behavior and some hurt feelings, but I wonder if someone might be willing to volunteer to moderate the political forum closely to ensure that everybody stays within the bounds of polite conversation.

niccig
11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Isn't that the case with every election?

I thought it was just me thinking it was as it's the first election I can vote in, so I'm paying attention. A few friends were talking and said they think it's more divisive and nastier. One said she can't remember a sitting president being called a R*tard. I won't type that word out in full. Maybe things just feel more so as you're in the thick of it and there's so much political info. now, you can't ever get away from it.

bisous
11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I liked the political forum. I felt like I learned a lot. Over the years on one issue I've done a complete 180 on my views, (going against the grain of my party) BECAUSE of a posting on this board. So I'd be absolutely cool with opening the forum again.

I also understand that it could be a little tense towards the end. I'm sorry for that and understand the reason for the reprieve, even though it makes me sad.

I personally do not feel that this election has been any nastier than any previous election. If anything, I feel like it has been tamer. Maybe it depends entirely on who you talk to and who you support during an election. I'm thankful that my IRL friends and acquaintances and also here on the boards I haven't seen any of the "cheap shots" that have been directed to either candidate. I'm grateful for substantial discussion on issues and not on race or religion and that's what I've been able to have this time around.

Whatever happens, here's to a clean, uncomplicated election! And whatever is decided on this issue (reopening of the political forum), thank heavens for the BBB, forever my haven for discussions on things much beyond bargains! :)

missym
11-05-2012, 11:13 PM
We've reopened the Political Talk forum. Please read the announcement at the top of the forum prior to posting. Thanks!