PDA

View Full Version : do you buy stuff just because it is on super sale

AnnieW625
10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
like the Lego sets? I actually was getting irritated reading that post because I know there are people who just buy those things because they are on super sale. I have a 6 yr. old, and a 2 yr. old, but even in a few years as much as they love their Legos (the Duplos are still popular with DD1, even though she has the regular ones) I didn't see the point of schlepping all over town for something that may sit in a closet for a few years. I'dcrather spend my money then.

The closest I came to that was I bought a $100 Britax RA 55 from the Wayfair.com sale. I always knew we'd probably use the seat, although we did have a perfectly good Evenflo Triumph car seat that would have expired in September, and then we would have moved her to a Frontier. I am glad we bought it, but had we not used it I Honedtly could not have sold I on CL for more than I paid for it.

wwyt about things CBS or people that do this?

AngB
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I typically don't. I'll buy stuff for DS to use sometime in the future or stuff that is generic for a gift (like Aden and Anais blankets when there's a good sale and I know a bunch of people expecting babies.)
But not to resell, that can be a little risky and we just don't have the space for it. It has worked out a few times that I bought stuff for a good deal that I intended to use and didn't (like a John Lennon 'Imagine' crib mobile at a consignment sale for $5...it wouldn't fit on our crib...I ended up reselling it on Ebay for $50. Had no idea it was worth that much when I bought it but even that I think can be iffy.)

brittone2
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Not really. I keep a very, very small # of things in a gift closet, but nothing crazy. I will sometimes buy something like the Lego set to donate to Toys for Tots. I do that with some of the really amazing amazon deals that come up over the holidays. I didn't buy the Lego set this time,but thought about it as I could use it for DS1's bday gift. I already know what he's getting for Christmas, and this year they are each getting 1-2 rather expensive items and then verrrry little else other than books and a stocking. Each kid usually picks something out at the store for Toys for Tots, and then we frequently throw in a few extras, which might be a super deal like this, or one of the amazon holiday deals. Last year in my area the newspaper carried a story about how teens often end up with nothing from Toys for Tots, as people really want to donate cute kid toys. I ran out the last night we could donate, and picked up a fairly inexpensive mp3 player. This year I'll keep my eye out on super deals on electronics like that for teens this year.

Why let it irritate you? Some people have the space to store things and the time to price match. It is okay that it isn't a priority for you, but why does it matter if they do it? Lego is a pretty timeless toy...our collection is nice as MIL saved DH's from his childhood, and DS1 has been asking for Lego for the last 2-3 years now when people ask what he wants, so he has some nice kits. DH's siblings tease MIL for saving toys, but DH was really glad to have his Lego to give to DS1 when he was about 4-5 yo. If they have a place to store it...why not? If it isn't your thing, it isn't your thing, but why get irritated with someone else who may have the space to store it comfortably, or time to do the price match. Anymore I find myself not really wanting to run all over bothering w/ sales (thought about hitting the B&N clearance and then just felt like meh...kids really don't need little "extras' this year), but it doesn't bother me one bit when other people do it.

I used to have more of a sales goggles thing, but with three kids who have different types of toys, I don't really want to store much of anything extra.

anonomom
10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll admit I'm guilty of this sometimes. Usually, it's the Target 90% off sales that get me -- I still have a bag of felt hearts sitting around from last Christmas. We used them for DD's class Valentines last year, but I still have a lot left. I wouldn't have looked twice at them if they hadn't been dirt cheap.

As far as larger items, I am much more careful now than I used to be. Last year, I bought birthday presents for all of DD1's playgroup friends in July at Target when toys went to 75% off. Turned out we decided to do a group party without presents, so some of them are still sitting in my closet. Now I only buy when I know for sure where the toy will go. (On the other hand, I'll have a nice haul for Toys for Tots this year).

hellokitty
10-24-2012, 03:27 PM
When my kids were younger, I did this more often. Stocking up on stuff that I knew they'd use within the next few yrs. However, now that they are 7 and 8 (youngest is 3 and gets lots of hand me downs), it is more difficult to know what will suit their fancy. So, I don't really do this anymore. I still have a few items in my gift closet, stuff that most boys or girls would like, but I've really phased out buying ahead for toys for the most part.

HannaAddict
10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Nope. I've always been amazed at the threads over the years with people buying tons of stuff because on sale and the co-ops that used be organized. I noticed it more often in the "boom years" 2004-06, probably because our income was much less then and I wondered how folks could afford it! I have felt like maybe I should, but don't buy in advance and don't buy kids' clothes in advance by seasons, no way could I predict size or what they will like.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I usually don't...if I don't need it, I don't buy it. Unless I KNOW i can get good resale on it (i've been doing a lot of ebaying recently), or unless I need a gift for someone in the next few months.

With the Lego Mine set, I actually have 8yo and 10yo nephews who are Lego freaks, and with Christmas just a few months away I figured that would be a good gift for both of them....i'm sure they'd be thrilled, and we would definitely wouldn't have spent ~$100 on a Lego set. plus I was eager to get my christmas shopping done..the past few years I nearly went crazy trying to buy everything for everyone, especially with 2 LOs in tow and DH who is often OOT. If i only had nieces who were into dolls, I wouldn't have bought it for DS and saved it..he's not even 3 and it probably would be 2-3 years before he could really played with it.

eta: though i do sometimes buy less expensive toys I don't need (under $10), especially if they are gender-neutral. i remember when those Melissa & Doug puzzles when on mega-sale on Amazon, i bought several for the gift closet. Being in a mom's group for toddlers/preschoolers I find we are often going to birthday parties for 1-4 year olds (a few a month ) and it is great to have gifts on hand and not have to worry about shopping for a gift the day before! I've given all of them out as gifts so it's not like they just sit there.

Minnifer
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Sometimes, but only if I think it's a really good deal and I'm going to use it either for my dc or as a gift. I don't buy to resell - seems like a huuuuuge hassle to me. And I don't usually go out of my way to hunt something like this down unless it really seems like a "must have" (rare). Guessing you saw my post on the lego set, lol - I had to go to Walmart anyway the other day so figured I'd check, but they didn't have it, then was in Target today and they did and I still had my printout of the ad, so I went ahead and got it. I was a bit on the fence about getting it, but I can already tell my DS is going to be a Lego kind of guy, and on the early side - if my buyer's remorse kicks in, as it sometimes does, I'll return it. I'll admit I like the thrill of the hunt, but I try not to buy simply to buy.:)

MSWR0319
10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't buy it unless I know or highly suspect we will use it. I don't keep a gift closet, although DS is 4 so may have a few things in the years to come. I did buy the Lego set because I think DS will like it for Christmas next year, it I only bought it because I had to run to Walmart and it's less than a 10 minute drive. I wouldn't have gone all over looking for it. If they had it great, if they didn't oh well. That being said, I do buy ahead for things like shampoo, deodorant,etc because I can't stand paying full price when I could use coupons and sales. I have one shelf in the basement I use for things like that and it goes no where else. It just depends on the situation for me. We have space to store things and I hate clutter, so it has to be a really good deal.

Pennylane
10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
When my kids were younger, I did this more often. Stocking up on stuff that I knew they'd use within the next few yrs. However, now that they are 7 and 8 (youngest is 3 and gets lots of hand me downs), it is more difficult to know what will suit their fancy. So, I don't really do this anymore. I still have a few items in my gift closet, stuff that most boys or girls would like, but I've really phased out buying ahead for toys for the most part.

This is me. I leave the bargains I can't use for someone that can :)

Ann

anonomom
10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh, I should also add that the one time I went a little crazy buying stuff "just" because it was on sale ended up working out well for me. I spent kind of a lot of money during the Gifting Grace frenzy last year, including several things that I wouldn't have purchased full price (or even at 50% off, but these were discounted 50% off already-discounted prices). Almost a year later, some of the things I got from that sale are my absolute favorite things.

123LuckyMom
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I never buy anything I wouldn't have bought anyway just because it is on sale, no matter how good the bargain. To me, it's not a bargain unless it's money I otherwise would have spent but now am saving. I have a friend who's a mega bargain hunter, and her house is filled with junk from tag sales and CL most of which she will never use. All those few dollars spent at a time do add up. I'm sure she wastes hundreds of dollars a year being "thrifty." I also think there are people who really could have used those things who won't have access to them because she is holding on to them. I see nothing wrong, though, with purchasing an item you know you want off season to save money, or deciding to buy that Lego set, for example, instead of another because that one is so much less expensive. I just feel strongly that I don't want to fill my life with things I won't use and don't need just because they were "bargains." I'm always tempted with off season kids' clothes, but I resist, because often they don't fit size or style wise when my kids are ready for them.

Momit
10-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I did get one of the Lego sets, to put away for next Christmas. Like PP, he will be getting his Dad's old Legos, but we've also said we want to give him a few new sets to combine with the old ones. My DH was super into Legos as a kid, and he is clearly looking forward to sharing that with DS. If I didn't expect DS to love Legos and play with them for years I would not have gotten the set. But since it was something I would have bought within the next year (not that exact set necessarily, but one like it) I got it - picked up at my nearest Walmart, where I had to go anyway for cat food.

The one place I do go a little overboard is on stuff like books, blocks, puzzles - we have more of those than we need because I can't always pass up a good deal.

I have picked up things for the gift closet and Toys for Tots because they were a great deal. Again I was going to get something, so why not buy what's on sale so for the same money I can have more things to give?

I don't ever buy with the intention of selling to make money.

KrisM
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Just because they're on sale with no intention to give them away, give them to my kids, etc? No. But, I do buy ahead on things that I'm 90% sure will be a good gift for my kids or someone else. I did buy the Lego set and will put it away for DS2 in a year or so. I have space to do that and I'd rather do that then spend more later.

I buy other things without a specific gift occasion in mind, but I pull some out for travel, etc. If I get a great deal on a DS game, I'll get it and save it for a long car trip.

I'm not sure why it would irritate you though. Why do other people's spending habits affect you, really? And if it does, don't keep reading the thread :).

Momit
10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Oh, I should also add that the one time I went a little crazy buying stuff "just" because it was on sale ended up working out well for me. I spent kind of a lot of money during the Gifting Grace frenzy last year, including several things that I wouldn't have purchased full price (or even at 50% off, but these were discounted 50% off already-discounted prices). Almost a year later, some of the things I got from that sale are my absolute favorite things.

Oh, ahem, I guess I forgot about Gifting Grace. I was happy with everything I got for myself, and super happy when I pulled out the box where I had stored the gifts and realized that my Christmas shopping is 95% done.

I do also buy clothes ahead. I have things in the next 3 sizes or so for DS. I probably would not do this if he were super opinionated about what he wears. But shorts, jeans, polos, tshirts etc. tend to look the same from year to year so I buy Gymbo, Tea, Kitestrings, Hanna, Lands End etc when they have great prices. Kai, Crocs and Stride Rite shoes too.

boolady
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure why it would irritate you though. Why do other people's spending habits affect you, really? And if it does, don't keep reading the thread :).

:yeahthat: As a threshold matter, I don't understand why it bothers you. Maybe that's the only way people can afford it, so they'll end up with an extra-great gift for their child or someone else. I have no idea why that would irritate me or provoke any reaction from me other than they got a great deal. It doesn't sound like people were buying things with no intention of using them or saving them to use as gifts, and if 3 years from now, they've got it laying around their attic, that's not my problem.

Do I normally do this? No. Would I do it if I knew it would get used? Yes. So as to the general question of do I buy things just because they are on super sale, I do if I am in need of or can use the item, including Hanna Andersson and Boden clothing, and things for our home.

Dream
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
The lego set was very tempting, I had to try hard to control myself from hunting it. I would gift it to my nephew but then they won't be visiting us till spring of next year so I just kept telling myself not to go looking for it. But sometimes I do buy things if its a great deal and I know I will use/gift some where down the road.

But I like to thrill of hunting down something.:bag

brittone2
10-24-2012, 04:10 PM
I do also buy clothes ahead. I have things in the next 3 sizes or so for DS. I probably would not do this if he were super opinionated about what he wears. But shorts, jeans, polos, tshirts etc. tend to look the same from year to year
Yeah, I actually have great luck buying ahead on kid clothes. DS1 will wear short sleeves year round (hates being hot, so he'll wear a tee and layer a sweatshirt over it if he needs to). DS1 basically likes 2-3 prs of khakis, jeans, and tees/polos, maybe 2-3 button down long sleeve shirts. That's been his thing for years and that's what he prefers to wear. DD is petite, and a dress will often fit her for 2 years or more (long the first year, knee length the 2nd year), and she can be pretty flexible on sizes because she doesn't outgrow things easily in length (sleeves, pant legs, etc.). Sneakers I'll buy the next size up if there's a good sale since my kids will wear them eventually regardless of season.

I don't buy toys ahead much any longer, as I said, because their interests change, they are more opinionated, and I don't want to store it since we already have toddler toys, younger kid toys, and older kid toys.

ett
10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I do if I know I can use or gift it in the future. I don't buy ahead to resell. Like a PP mentioned, I do buy ahead a lot less now that the boys are older. I used to stock up a lot more on great deals to donate, but managing the stuff in the basement was just too much so I've cut down on that too.

baileygirl
10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I bought the set and am likely to buy any Lego set that is on sale 50% off or more. I have 23 kids (my kids, nieces and nephews) that I buy Christmas gifts for...a good part of them play with Legos, so I am always happy to get a deal on them. DS1 (5) had requested this set for Christmas, not because he has any interest in mining but because there are some nice pieces in it (i.e. drill, crane). DS1 and DS2 play with Legos for hours a day, so I am always happy to get a bargain on them. That said I try to only buy when I know who I am buying the item for, and when I am giving it to them (i.e. Christmas, birthday).

KpbS
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
I am only buying ahead now for clothing for DD but really I am trying to stop that too. I have a ton of boy clothing for my 2 and now that DS1 wears a uniform he doesn't need but a fraction of what he has. So that will be in great condition for DS2 and he will only need a thing or two here and there, likely 1 or 2 items.

We are stuffed to the gills with toys (in part due to buying ahead) and I didn't even open the lego thread! Now if I can manage to do the same for the Christmas season....wish me luck!! :tongue5:

hellokitty
10-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Oh and yeah, I totally forgot about clothes. I buy ahead too. It is so handy to just dig out a new bag of clothes in the closet instead of having to rush out and pay full retail price when my kids suddenly outgrow their clothes overnight! DS1 and DS2 are the same exact size right now.

Melaine
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I used to, and honestly, I probably still would if we had the space for it. I have 13 nieces and nephews and we have tons of friends with kids so buying stuff on deep discount always made sense to me. I also re-sell a lot on Craigslist. I admit I have made a lot of money that way. That seems to bother some posters here, but I don't really understand why. I spend a lot of time and effort and most people do not think it's worth it. The money is a way I can afford to buy nicer stuff for my kids.

Momit
10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I also re-sell a lot on Craigslist. I admit I have made a lot of money that way. That seems to bother some posters here, but I don't really understand why. I spend a lot of time and effort and most people do not think it's worth it. The money is a way I can afford to buy nicer stuff for my kids.

I wasn't saying I have a problem with it, just that I don't do it myself (I just made my first sale on Craigslist last week, yeah!) Now some of the people on Slickdeals who buy multiples of the same item just to resell and kill good deals for other people do irk me a little.

Multimama
10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
I used to do it all the time. I have been having such a hard time resisting that Lego Set! It's a great bargain and eventually it would make a great gift for my DSs. But we don't need it now so I am trying to resist.

I'm actually not buying anything for Christmas this year. I used to buy stuff so often that I didn't need just because it was on sale and would make an awesome future gift that I don't need any gifts this year! :bag

edurnemk
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
No I don't, no matter how discounted something is I won't buy it if I don't need it or wanted it before seeing it on sale. I will buy ahead (clothes for DCs) but it's stuff that I would've eventually bought/needed. I will scan sales to see if I find items that were already on my list.

Who was the poster who had a siggy that said "It's not a bargain if you didn't need it in the first place"? That's my POV, too.

crl
10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Oh and yeah, I totally forgot about clothes. I buy ahead too. It is so handy to just dig out a new bag of clothes in the closet instead of having to rush out and pay full retail price when my kids suddenly outgrow their clothes overnight! DS1 and DS2 are the same exact size right now.

I always have at a least a few things in the next size up. Somehow my kids grow overnight and I am glad not to have to go shopping on short notice. I do have a huge advantage on this as we don't really have seasons here. Long pants and short sleeved shirts work about ninety percent of the time here.

I don't buy a ton of gifts ahead because I don't have a lot of storage space and I don't feel like I guess very well ahead of time what my kids will like. But it doesn't bother me that other people do.

Catherine

maestramommy
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Nope. Not unless I'm pretty sure I need it in a month or so.

Okay, an exception would be clothing essentials, like leggings. If I KNOW they will need to size up next season, and they are in the bargain bin, then yes. The same for L's shoes because her feet are wide so I know she will not be able to inherit any of her sisters' shoes.

Pennylane
10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
:yeahthat: As a threshold matter, I don't understand why it bothers you. Maybe that's the only way people can afford it, so they'll end up with an extra-great gift for their child or someone else. I have no idea why that would irritate me or provoke any reaction from me other than they got a great deal. It doesn't sound like people were buying things with no intention of using them or saving them to use as gifts, and if 3 years from now, they've got it laying around their attic, that's not my problem.

Do I normally do this? No. Would I do it if I knew it would get used? Yes. So as to the general question of do I buy things just because they are on super sale, I do if I am in need of or can use the item, including Hanna Andersson and Boden clothing, and things for our home.

I think maybe the OP was talking about people who buy and resell things to make a profit, if I remember correctly.

Ann

ETA: Nevermind, I didn't read it correctly !!

Globetrotter
10-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I used to do this a lot when the kids were little and their friends were easier to shop for. Now that my kids have way too much stuff and their friends have specific taste, we pretty much stopped this with some exceptions (like the cute bracelets/hair ties dd and I found at NR).

However, during the crazy Borders sale I stocked up on a lot of timeless items and ended up donating a lot to the shelter and Toys for Tots, but that was a crazy sale. I have a bunch of new scholastic books to donate to the book drive.

OP, why does it bother you? I can see being irritated at folks who buy out the entire stock for resale, but if you don't want one don't worry about it. I have actually purposely left stuff for others out of guilt :D

citymama
10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Not really. I buy sale items only if my kids/family or friends are very likely to use them. I certainly would not leave my armchair to go get them! I've bought things I didn't absolutely need bc it was heavily marked down but have ended up getting lots of use out of those things. I will sometimes buy clothes or toys for the gift box if it's a steal, but I can't think of the last time I did so.

candaceb
10-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I will admit to buying stuff because it is a deal. Especially if said stuff is at Target. I still have a pink shopping cart on the gift closet thanks to a target deal someone posted here about 3 years ago...

Kungjo
10-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Love super sales, but as the kids get older, I'm less likely to pull the trigger for them unless I need them.

jgenie
10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm a sucker for a sale and the bargain forum has not been kind to my house. I spend all year buying toys and clothes on super sale and then spend the month of November assembling bags to donate to different charities. I really need the space my gift closet is taking up so I'm hoping to liquidate a huge portion of it this year and not refill it next year. A big part of it for me is that I can stretch the dollar so much farther than if I just donated the dollar but I've come to realize that it would be easier on me if I just donated the money to charity and trust that they will stretch it as far as they can.

ETA: I was tempted to go out and hunt for the Lego set but neither of my kids are interested in Legos yet. I'll probably be kicking myself next year but oh well.

essnce629
10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
No, not really. DS1 loves Legos, but not Lego City, so I didn't even think about buying the set. I did tell my best friend though who has an almost 5 year old DS who is Lego obsessed and doesn't care what sets he gets. His birthday is next month so I thought it would be a great deal for my friend and she did get it.

The only time I have bit the bullet a lot is around Christmas time when all the Amazon price drops happen. This is when I stock my gift closet for the year. I only buy stuff if I know it will be used as a gift though. Like I'll buy a bunch of stuff for 3-4 year olds because I know I'll be going to a ton of preschool birthday parties throughout the year. I woulldn't stock up on stuff for 9 year old girls since there's not really a need. If there's a really great deal on something I just don't need, I'll pass on it but still tell my friends or playgroup moms about it.

gatorsmom
10-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Normally, no. I usually have a running list of things I know I will need from our clothing roster, upcoming family or friend birthday gifts, or holiday gift ideas. If I see something onsale on that list, I'll get it, though it might not be needed for a year or 2.

kijip
10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
It's not a bargain if you wouldn't otherwise want or need it. I don't buy unless it has a realllllllyyyy good reason to be in my home.

lizzywednesday
10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
It's not a bargain if you wouldn't otherwise want or need it. I don't buy unless it has a realllllllyyyy good reason to be in my home.

:yeahthat:

I am tempted to buy ahead, but as I remember from my own childhood, kids' interests can change in the blink of an eye!

If I'm in need of a gift or something, however, I like to find a good deal!