PDA

View Full Version : NYC - what to do for seats?

elektra
10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
It is likely that I will be taking the kids to NYC to accompany DH on a business trip, and also to visit my brother's IL's in New Jersey.
I *think* we can use public transportation the whole time, but I am envisioning a possible taxi trip at one point or another. I am also trying to figure out exactly how for the IL's live from the train station in New Jersey. My brother says we can technically walk.

Should I consider getting bubblebums as a sort of emergency back up plan?
DS is only 3.5 though. He is around 40 pounds though.

I can't imagine bringing our seats everywhere!

jjordan
10-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Hmm, maybe a RideSafer travel vest? That way it can be easily stored in a backpack, and it's not a huge deal to carry around. I wouldn't want to use it as a primary seat, but it sounds like you might only need it for a couple of short car rides while you're there anyway.

For a 3.5 year old, a seatbelt-positioning booster is really not going to be effective protection.

elektra
10-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Hmm, maybe a RideSafer travel vest? That way it can be easily stored in a backpack, and it's not a huge deal to carry around. I wouldn't want to use it as a primary seat, but it sounds like you might only need it for a couple of short car rides while you're there anyway.

For a 3.5 year old, a seatbelt-positioning booster is really not going to be effective protection.

Oh I had forgotten about those vests. DO you know the best place to purchase one?
Amazon only has the large size.

jjordan
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh I had forgotten about those vests. DO you know the best place to purchase one?
Amazon only has the large size.

I don't know about the best place, but here is a site with small in stock: Health Check Systems (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/safe_traffic_system.cfm)

If you are a member of car-seat.org and have access to the FSOT board, then you could post an ISO. But I don't think the small RSTV's come up very often there.

Joolsplus2
10-25-2012, 08:13 AM
For short trips where you can sit next to the 3 yo, I'd be comfortable with a Bubble Bum :o

jjordan
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM
For short trips where you can sit next to the 3 yo, I'd be comfortable with a Bubble Bum :o

Have you ever driven in northern NJ? People are maniacs! :eek:

Philly Mom
10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Someone who lives in NYC can chime in, but my friends who live there, do not use car seats for short cab rides. Most of the time they take the subway anyway. I would get the vests. As for NJ, I am not sure what town you are going to in NJ, but if it is walking distance from the train, then I would imagine it is residential driving and I would not see any problem with using the vest or bumble bum. I grew up walking distance to a train from NJ to NYC, the streets are fairly quiet.

elektra
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to talk to DH and then if he is up for taking public transportation from the airport into the city then I am leaning towards the bubblebums as at that point they would really only be for the last second cab ride decision either in the city or from the train to the house in NJ. I would not be driving all around in NJ- it would be just a few blocks, if we even do a car at all.
But if we want to do a car/ taxi into the city ( a possibility as we will have all our bags and it's just easier that way) then I think I will have to spring for the vests.

Philly Mom
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Are you flying into Newark, JFK or Laguardia? If Newark, public transporation is incredibly easy. There is no need to take a cab from there. My understanding is that the others are a bit harder, but I have only taken cars to the others.

lizzywednesday
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Are you flying into Newark, JFK or Laguardia? If Newark, public transporation is incredibly easy. There is no need to take a cab from there. My understanding is that the others are a bit harder, but I have only taken cars to the others.

The AirTrain linkup to NJ Transit from EWR to NY-Penn is super-easy; you basically transfer to/from the Monorail. I've taken it myself (from Newark-Penn to EWR) and so has my brother Joe.

At JFK, it's similar but a tiny bit more involved because you have to switch to the subway to get to Penn. I have not taken this one, but I've suggested it to friends so they can avoid the jitneys.

More info is available here:

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

BabbyO
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
I found out about the vest after a recent trip we took. At the time they only had the large or Pink vests available from vendors. I emailed Safe Traffic System, Inc (the company that makes the vest) and they said that they were coming out with some newer products so some of their vendors were opting to wait to order until the new product was available. However, the nice lady that emailed me back said that she could fill orders directly and gave me contact info. PM me if you'd like the info, I'm sure they could get you the smaller vest.

Joolsplus2
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Have you ever driven in northern NJ? People are maniacs! :eek:

Yeah, but a kid has to really be just as mature to sit properly in either a BB or an RSTV, and neither really has side impact protection, so I'd go with the cheapest option that I probably wouldn't use, anyway.

Minnifer
10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Former NYC resident here - IMHO public transportation from any of the airports is a total PITA esp w/kids - there's a car service w/car seats that people use that is totally fine (Legends). As a pp mentioned, within the city, folks don't use seats for taxi rides past the infant bucket seat/snap n go stage (yeah, yeah, I know, but they're not required and that's what's done).

elektra
10-25-2012, 02:41 PM
The AirTrain linkup to NJ Transit from EWR to NY-Penn is super-easy; you basically transfer to/from the Monorail. I've taken it myself (from Newark-Penn to EWR) and so has my brother Joe.

At JFK, it's similar but a tiny bit more involved because you have to switch to the subway to get to Penn. I have not taken this one, but I've suggested it to friends so they can avoid the jitneys.

More info is available here:

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

Former NYC resident here - IMHO public transportation from any of the airports is a total PITA esp w/kids - there's a car service w/car seats that people use that is totally fine (Legends). As a pp mentioned, within the city, folks don't use seats for taxi rides past the infant bucket seat/snap n go stage (yeah, yeah, I know, but they're not required and that's what's done).

I have flown into Newark by myself and done the AirTrain with the transfer into Penn Station. It was kind of a PITA with all my luggage, as well as being on an early morning commuter train, but it did make sense because I was by myself. I can see how with two kids, DH, my dad and myself, plus luggage, that it would not be easy, and while my DH is really against schlepping seats on this trip, I can just picture him looking at me and asking, "why did we not just get a car again??"
I have always taken taxis from JFK but I did see they have the AirTrain option there now too.
Thank you for that car service suggestion. My brother also suggested a car service (hopefully they have minivans?) and I was wondering about seats.

I feel like it's coming down to that now- the trip from the airport to the city- I think we would be covered with the emergency bubblebums outside of that.

mmommy
10-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Legends can be great. But just as often they send an infant bucket seat when you need a seat for a toddler and vice versa. We live in NYC and just don't take car services much (public transit is exciting to kids anyway). If I were visiting the city I'd bring the Bubblebums. They'd be better than nothing and better than lugging bigger seats. If Kegends let's you down at least you'd have an alternative to get you into the city from the airport.

AnnieW625
10-26-2012, 01:55 PM
If you end up deciding to rent a car or don't mind carting an extra bag around you are more than welcome to borrow my Safegaurd Go seat (it is a foldable harness seat that folds into a bag, it is not heavy like Radian) but I agree with Jools I think the BubbleBum might be the way to go.