PDA

View Full Version : Perfect (to peel) hard boiled egg???

babyonway
10-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I love hard boiled eggs but peeling them is the worst!!! How do u all do it so the peel easily. Currently I put the in water bring to boil then turn off and let them sit in the water for a while. Then I run cold water over them and try to peel and it is a nightmare peeling about 50 percent of the eggs. I buy the brown organic eggs from Costco.

Anyone have any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

elbenn
10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Here's how Mark Bittman says to do it, but I've never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

http://kitchentable.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/how-to-boil-an-egg/

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2012, 08:23 PM
I tap them from the bottom vs side. Seems to make peeling easier. I always peel under running water too

hannah
10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I put the eggs in a pot, cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and boil the eggs for about 1 min 30 sec. Then turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the covered pot for 13 minutes. I have good luck peeling my eggs. I tap the eggs against the counter and then peel under running water.

Penny's Pappa
10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
How to Peel Hard-boiled Eggs without Peeling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y)

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

mskitty
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Don't use really fresh eggs for hard boiling. Try to use eggs that are at least 1 week if not 2 weeks old. Fresh for frying; older for hard boiling.

mskitty

turtle12
10-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I add some baking soda to the boiling water.....works all the time!

karstmama
10-24-2012, 09:13 PM
i tap tap tap them to break the shell up pretty good, then start it open somewhere with a fingernail or something, then slide a spoon in. the spoon goes under the membrane and it all lifts off. learned this in home ec when i was a freshman & it's never let me down.

rin
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
How to Peel Hard-boiled Eggs without Peeling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y)

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

That looks awesome! I totally want to make some hardboiled eggs right now just to try it. Have you tried it?

happymom
10-24-2012, 09:45 PM
My SIL just taught me her trick and it has worked every time. I put the eggs into a pot with water and boil UNCOVERED for about 20 minutes. Shut off the flame, drain the water, and rinse with cold water.

I think the 2 key points are boiling uncovered (don't ask me why its makes a difference, but it does!) and rinsing with cold water.

Try it! It really does work.

Penny's Pappa
10-24-2012, 11:21 PM
That looks awesome! I totally want to make some hardboiled eggs right now just to try it. Have you tried it?

I have tried it, and it usually works. I don't leave it in cold water for very long, which might explain why it doesn't always work. I'll have to try that next time.

As for making them, I put my eggs in cold water, boil, remove from heat, cover, and let them stand in the hot water for 10 minutes. Perfectly cooked yolks every time.

LD92599
10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Lots of salt in the water!

babyonway
10-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Thank u all so much for the tips I am going to try them cause I LOVE hard boiled eggs but really struggle with the peeling

Thx so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

MolieMuts
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Lots of salt in the water!

That's what my grandmother told me also, put salt in the water.

Mikey0709
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I think above poster is right on....fresh eggs are impossible to peel!!! If u need to do a lot used a little older eggs.

brittone2
10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Older eggs, and liking the oven method lately, as my kids can go through 12-18 eggs in about 4 days (they'll eat hard boiled eggs as breakfast, as a snack, etc.)

Soulemama has some kind of pin trick for fresh eggs. A close friend told me about that method, as they own their own flock of chickens and give us eggs regularly. Those are hard to peel normally. I tried the pin thing once and it helped a bit, but they were still not the easiest. Maybe I didn't do it right.

mackmama
10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I run the egg under cold water, then roll the egg on a plate to "crush" the shell. I then peel it under cold running water, and it comes off super easily.