PDA

View Full Version : Oh no... Regression in kindergarten (long)

melwe
10-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Just looking for advice. My DD started kindergarten two months ago. Since then, she has had 4 (yes really) pee accidents, and today a poop accident. I don't know what to do. Sorry this gets long.

Just for background, I will start by saying that she was incredibly difficult to PT. She's very bright, but no interest until well after 3, almost 4. She was night trained before day trained. We have had regressions in the past 2 years. I usually try not to make a big deal about it. Right after she turned 4, she had an accident every single day for a month. I started a reward chart, where she got a "big toy" after one month with no accidents. The day we started that, absolutely no accidents for months afterwards. She has isolated incidents here and there since then, some at preschool, some at home.

So since starting kindergarten, her first accident she didn't tell anyone. A kid found a puddle in the class and no one fessed up. Her teacher said for the first time she has been teaching, she had to announce to the class "Okay let's everyone check our bottoms to see if we had an accident.". Second accident was waiting in line for the bathroom (understandable). Third was in the bathroom, just not in time (better). Fourth one was just like the first, although she admitted much sooner. Today she pooped during rest time.

So my mom and I have tried talking with her about different ideas to try to stop this from happening. 1. Empathy- My mom explained that she had an accident in kindergarten because she was too shy to ask her teacher to use the bathroom. 2. Brainstorming - We asked her if she had any ideas that might help. Her suggestion (dead serious) was to start wearing a diaper. 3. Peer pressure - kids might not want to play with her if she keeps doing this. She tells me "I'm not worried. My friends still want to play with me."

I'm sure a lot is transitional, stress, etc. Her teacher says she is doing great otherwise in school, but how do we get her back on track? I've thought about taking away some privileges (dessert or TV) but as DH says if she's not embarrassed at school, is that really going to motivate her? I hate to start a reward chart in kindergarten. I think she's a bit old for that but it worked before.

I've asked her teacher to make sure she uses the potty when the whole class takes a break. Her teacher is great and definitely is not keeping her from using the bathroom. They have one in their class that they can use anytime and she's fine with the kids just getting up to use it without permission. For DD, she said she can even use the hall bathroom without permission.

Any thoughts? Her teacher suggested maybe consulting with the pediatrician? I'm just at a loss for ideas. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

goldenpig
10-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Hugs. I vividly still remember having an accident once when I was 5 in 1st grade (I skipped K), it was so embarrassing. I got up to go to the bathroom but couldn't make it so I went back to my seat and peed in my seat. They took me out of class and had to call my mom to come bring me new clothes. So I really feel for your daughter.

I would definitely get your daughter checked by her pediatrician. It could be constipation causing the accidents, because the rectum full of stool causes pressure on the bladder. My 5 yo daughter tends to get constipated easily and there was a period a few months ago where she started having a lot of pee accidents (wet pants) and underwear streaked with poop. She was also having hard and painful BMs. I increased her fiber and gave her liquid stool softener and Miralax for about a week and it got better. She currently takes daily fiber gummies and never eats bananas, and is back to her usual self with no accidents.

Here's an article about constipation and bedwetting:
http://children.webmd.com/news/20120130/study-constipation-may-cause-bedwetting

karstmama
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
yep, i was gonna suggest you check that, too. the book is good & makes sense, though of course it might not be your dd's problem.

melwe
10-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I read the article. It sounds like a good place to start.

I talked to the nurse at the ped's office and right away she brought up constipation as well. Right now, she is starting to become more private about her bathroom activities, so I'm not sure if she is or not. With changes in schedule, she's probably eating and drinking differently so it may be playing a role.

I asked the nurse about UTIs and she said that is something we can check for. She also mentioned that she may be rushing and not emptying her bladder fully and had some suggestions about that. So I feel that we have some places to start.

Today, she was so excited because she had no accidents, so I gave her a big hug and told her I was proud of her. She had a big smile on her face. :)

123LuckyMom
10-26-2012, 04:52 AM
I'm glad your DD had an accident free day!!! If she was proud of herself, that means she does really care. You're checking out all the physical issues, which is key. If they all check out and she's still having accidents, I don't think she's too old for a chart. Heck, I'd love for someone to give me a star each night for cooking dinner and a present at the end of the month!!! I say, bring on the chart!

melwe
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't think she's too old for a chart. Heck, I'd love for someone to give me a star each night for cooking dinner and a present at the end of the month!!!

:ROTFLMAO: Isn't that the truth!