PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Nintendo DS for a child that didnt ask for one?

khalloc
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
My DD's 7th birthday is coming up. People are asking me what to get her. I have no clue! She seriously has so many toys. She will say she wants Barbies, but she has about 20 barbies now and honestly they do not get played with that often.

She has 1 American Girl doll and a Pottery Barn Kids knock-off AG doll that she occasionally plays with. I have 2 sets of grandparents and 3 aunts/uncles that will be asking what to get her for her Birthday and then a month later they will be asking about Xmas.

My parents + brother always spend a bit more on her since my 2 kids are the only kids on that side of the family. SO I was thinking of telling them to get the Nintendo 3Ds XL. But I am not sure if I will regret it or not?

My DH is always complaining about the level of toys in our house and I thought this would be a good small gift that could get some use. We sometimes take car trips (4 hours) to visit my family so it could get use there. She likes playing on our old iPods and my iPad. It might be a good idea since people could buy her games for it for Xmas?

Would you get a DS for her?

The other thing I was thinking is that if she gets one and likes it that DS might start wanting one. He is only 4 though. I *could* get him that for Xmas so there are no fights over it, or for his 5th birthday in April. Or we could wait to get another one for him next Christmas (assuming he likes his sisters).

So DS or no DS?

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd get a tablet instead. More versatile. Since she doesn't have a DS game she really wants, I'd probably pass.

Other ideas- board games!

brittone2
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
digital camera?
Nook or Kindle? DS1 got a Nook touch when he was about 7 (saved up GCs and money) and it has been great.

ellies mom
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
No. I'd recommend something more versatile like an iTouch. The apps are a lot cheaper than DS games. It is a lot smaller. It has a camera and video recorder, which my girls use on my phone constantly (seriously, I probably have a hundred artistic pictures of teddy bears on my phone at any given time).

khalloc
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
No. I'd recommend something more versatile like an iTouch. The apps are a lot cheaper than DS games. It is a lot smaller. It has a camera and video recorder, which my girls use on my phone constantly (seriously, I probably have a hundred artistic pictures of teddy bears on my phone at any given time).

She already has an iTouch, but one without a camera. I'm not buying a new iTouch just to get a camera either.

We already have iPads too. (mine and DH's but I dont think the kids need their own)

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I'd still skip the DS.

kijip
10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
How about putting experiences or memberships on her Christmas list? Like tickets to a kids' symphony or movie passes or tickets to a nearby attraction? If she is not asking for it and is not into video games, I would be worried this would be just another thing that doesn't get used.

kijip
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Or is she going to take music lessons? My MIL bought My son a real guitar because he is signing up for lessons and that was a huge, huge, huge hit that has some functionality beyond toys. New and used instruments for kids are often about as much as the DS.