PDA

View Full Version : IIHS Booster Fit Ratings 2012

Joolsplus2
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
http://carseatblog.com/19174/booster-fit-is-better-than-ever-2012-iihs-booster-ratings/

The list of Best Bets gets longer every year. The same old design of the Dorel 3-in-1's that they've used for 10+ years never gets changed, so they still fail (cynically, I say they are such a profit maker as they are, they won't change anything unless they get sued because a child is injured in one :/). That's why I steer everyone towards the Evenflo Symphony when they insist on 'the last seat I'll ever need' ;)
Britax is also disappointing me with the Parkway, seriously, they know how to make absolutely perfect-fitting boosters (Starriser Comfy fit every kid at every age), they need to draw on that old knowledge bank.

arivecchi
10-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Julie, what is the issue with the parkway?

We've been really happy with our monterey so far!

Joolsplus2
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
It's in the 'check fit' column for backless mode. But also just based on the like dozens of kids I've seen where it's a questionable shoulderbelt fit (an adjustable-width belt guide would fix that, I think), It just leaves me kind of 'meh' about it (I mean, I like it better than lots of other seats, but compared to the 'omg it's amazing!' fit their other seats used to have, it just makes me sad...)

hanaum02
11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
My 5-year old is now ready for a booster. She is currently in a Sunshine Kids Radian in one car and a Britax Marathon in the other. She hasn't outgrown either, but we are comfortable moving her a booster. So we do NOT need a harness/booster - just looking for a good, high back booster. We would have gone with the Britax Parkway SG, but if that's not a great fit anymore, what would you recommend? We're willing to spend up to about $100, but would rather not do more than that for a booster.

Thanks for your help!
Michelle

Joolsplus2
11-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Can you put your 5 yo in your 8 yo's seat and see how the fit is? If it's good, grab some more and you're good to go (or get a backless for the 8yo? The Evenflo Amp is a really nice--and fun/colorful for older kids--choice).

hanaum02
11-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Not sure why I didn't think of that. Guess I was interpretting it as "not a best bet - don't get it". But, to your point, if it fits my car and kids well - then it's fine? And by fitting well, I assume you mean:
- belt is across top of legs, not abdomen
- belt is at right height on shoulders
- comfortable for them
Is that right?

Thanks!!
Michelle

Joolsplus2
11-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Yup, you got it. Give it a shot and see how it works :)

hanaum02
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks to adjustable headrest (and thing that the belt goes through), it fits her very well in both of our cars. We'll stick to that!

Thanks so much for your help!
Michelle