PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had the flu shot in 1st trimester?

oneontheway
10-27-2012, 08:30 AM
I've had the flu shot twice before with my pregnancies but always in the 3rd trimester. This time I'm worried with three other little ones and LOTS of germs already this year should I get in the first trimester? It just makes me wonder if I hesitate to take a tylenol do I really want to get a flu shot so early. On the other hand we have already had 3 different viruses in the house just in October, I'm not getting enough sleep and I'm worn down already. If the flu hits it would be terrible on my immune system. Sorry to make this so long but anyone else gotten the flu shot 1st trimester?
TIA!

kaharris83
10-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I got it in 2009 the year of the H1N1 outbreak. I got it very early in my first trimester. This year I'm due 12/3 and I don't plan to get it until after the baby arrives.

Philly Mom
10-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I did. It is recommended. Pregnant women are at risk of having complications with the flu.

MSWR0319
10-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I called my OB last Oct when I was about 8 weeks and the nurse told me to wait till th second trimester. At my next checkup, I think around 13 weeks my OB asked why I hadn't gotten one. I told her what the nurse said and she was livid. She said the second tri info was eons ago and not accurate and that it was better for me to get the shot and not the flu. So I got the shot that day. I had a nasty stomach bug about 8 weeks later that wiped me out, I can't even imagine getting the flu pregnant. I'd get the shot.

scrooks
10-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I did with my dd. I believe I did it at the direction of my Ob.

HannaAddict
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Got flu shot with all three kids as soon as the vaccine available, once in first trimester with no ill effects and no flu. Scary during the H1N1 season since pregnant women in our area had died.

oneontheway
10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about getting it. I'll see my ob for the first time in a week and I'll probably get it then.

BigDog
10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
I got mine 2-3 weeks ago. I'll be 10 weeks tomorrow.

AnnieW625
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
With DD1 I didn't get it at all. No one even mentioned me getting it (and I don't recall protesting that I didn't want to get one, which I usually flat out tell a dr. no) and I was going to a pretty liberal dr. group/HMO that is all about flu shots.

With DD2 I got the flu shot at around 11 to 12 weeks. I got the H1N1 shot at 13 weeks.

llama8
11-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I didn't get it with either pregnancy. My OBGYN was not really for it either, which I found interesting as she is a top rated doctor.

I did a little research and was not pleased with some of the studies and statistics concerning the flu shot in early pregnancy. I am sure it is fine and so many people get it, but you may want to research it a bit on your own to make sure that you are comfortable with the information.

acmom
11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I got the flu shot in my 1st trimester with both pregnancies and the H1N1 during my first trimester with one pregnancy. My OB, plus my DH and my dad, who are both physicians, felt strongly that I get it, especially bc I was a teacher of young children and DH brings home who knows what from the hospital.

citymama
11-03-2012, 12:54 AM
I did in Oct 2009 just like the PP with the swine flu outbreak. I got both regular and h1n1 shots. No problems at all. With DD1, I got it in second trimester, all good then too. At the time, the head of the department at Yale New Haven hospital came down in person to implore me to get the flu shot, summarizing risks to me and baby without.

oneontheway
11-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm still really torn. Much of the research shows it is fine for baby and mother during pregnancy and birth but it was hard to find any long term studies following the children whose mother's received a flu shot during the 1st trimester.
I'm sure my doctor will urge me to get one next Tuesday.

roseyloxs
11-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Yes, although I didn't know I was pregnant at the time. I told them I was trying to get pregnant, so they gave me the shot that was safe for pregnancy. Turns out I was. DD is 3 and healthy.

oneontheway
11-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Yes, although I didn't know I was pregnant at the time. I told them I was trying to get pregnant, so they gave me the shot that was safe for pregnancy. Turns out I was. DD is 3 and healthy.

Do you know what the difference is in the reg flu shot vs. the pregnancy one? I would assume if I get it at the ob that it is for pregnancy but I will surely ask. Thanks.

kaharris83
11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Do you know what the difference is in the reg flu shot vs. the pregnancy one? I would assume if I get it at the ob that it is for pregnancy but I will surely ask. Thanks.

The only one they give pregnant ladies is the one without preservative. That is the only one recommended for pregnancy. I hate making decisions regarding shots. The OB nurse asked me no less than 8 times at one of my visits if I was ready for my flu shot. Luckily my doc put a note in my file that visit that I was declining it as I wasn't comfortable getting it while pregnant. The nurse hasn't asked since and my OB was supportive either way ad didn't push me to get it. Hope you're able to come to a decision you feel comfortable with.

citymama
11-03-2012, 11:58 AM

I think they make sure to give you the thimerosol-free shot. Here they use that for kids and at ob offices routinely in any case, but you should double check.

catsnkid
11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Little late, but I did. I must have gotten it 10-15 weeks in. The ob said it was fine, and I got it at my work flu clinic as always.

JenaW
11-09-2012, 07:22 AM
I work in healthcare so I ALWAYS got the flu shot as soon as it was available each year. However, in my very first pregnancy, I got the shot in my first trimester and ended up miscarrying. I have absolutely no proof it was related (I went on to have 3 more miscarriages and was ultimately diagnosed with an auto immune/clotting disorder) but one of the high risk OBs I saw said it was possible that the combo of my autoimmune issues and the flu shot could have triggered something leading to the preg loss. Therefore, I now decline the flu shot while pregnant, and get it in the hospital after I deliver if it's still flu season. I also recommend that my preg patients wait until they are out of the first tri to receive theirs. Obviously there are several ppl here (and irl) who have had one in their first tri without any issues, but I personally would not chance it unless I was extremely high risk for serious complications from the flu. Good luck with whatever you decide.