PDA

View Full Version : Graco TurboBooster Colorz - reviews? ratings?

Babymakes3
10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
DS is 4 and about to hit 40 lbs. He's in a Britax currently in my car but I found the Graco backless boosters on clearance at Target today with the pads. I can't find much as far as ratings on these seats though. I'm not thinking for my car yet, more for when he is in DH's (this is rare) bc he barely fits in our spare carseat at this point.
At what point would you put your child in a booster like this?

Melaine
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I was wondering about these for backup but my girls are 6. I also saw them on clearance!

babystuffbuff
10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
As a CPS tech, I would not recommend a backless booster at four years old. I would do a highback booster at minimum, and preferably still have him in a harness. It is a huge step down in safety from a harness to a backless, and I would not recommend taking that step at that age. Even with a highback booster, he needs to be mature enough to sit back in the seat and not squirm around, not lean forward to reach for a drink or a toy, so the belt stays in the correct position to keep him safe for the entire ride. That can be tricky for a four-year-old (and even a five- or six-year-old!). There are harnessed boosters, such as the Evenflo Maestro, which would keep him in a harness longer and then convert to a booster in a year or two. The Maestro is $70 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Maestro-Seat-Booster-Adele/dp/B006PB2CQS

Hope that helps!

Babymakes3
10-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks! I knew i'd get a good answer here!

Simon
11-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I was wondering about these for backup but my girls are 6. I also saw them on clearance!

Ds1 is 6.5yo and about 40 lbs. He does not get a good belt fit with backless boosters (we've tried Graco and the Evenflo Amp). The shoulder strap is too close to falling off his side and the lap belt isn't low enough. If I get one on clearance, I'd only use it in an emergency and not plan to use it regularly at all.

AnnieW625
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
For quick trips or if you need a seat that is portable and or for occaisional use in the car I am okay with the TB for use with a 40lb., 4 yr. old as long as they are well behaved in the car. My DD1 used one from about 4/1/2 on in my DCP's cars (always safe and newish cars, a BMW 5, and a Mini Cooper) for the 10 minute ride to and from preschool. For anything longer than say 20 minutes or when my child might be sleeping at that age I was much more comfortable with a harnessed seat (DD1 used a Frontier, a Marathon, or a Safegaurd Go (when we traveled)). DD1 did not move to a belted booster until she was 5/1/2. I like the suggestion of the Maestro that was recommended. Had that seat been out in 2009 when we had to buy DD1 her Frontier I might have gotten that one instead.

My DD1 uses a Harmony Cruz as a back up, for other friends' cars, or for field trips, which at Target is about $15 or so. I would just look for one of those. If you can't find it at your Target I think it is available on Target.com or it is also at Wal Mart. They also make the Dream Time booster, but that is a Wal Mart exclusive I believe. She likes it more than using the TB as a backless booster, plus it is a bit easier to puzzle when you have 3 across than the TB when we have used it.

FWIW, DD1 rides in the high back Turbo most of the time unless we are going on a road trip and then we use the Frontier.