PDA

View Full Version : who bought your DD their first historical AG doll?

AnnieW625
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
DH wants DD1 to buy the doll with her Christmas money, which she should get about $300. I am thinking DH and I should buy it. It will be her big gift next to maybe another $20 gift (Coconut dog) and stocking stuffers. DD has circled everything she wants in the catalog and I would be fine with her using some of her Xmas money to get some of those things, mainly the outfits and such, but telling her she has to buy the doll on her own with her Xmas money doesn't sit right with me.

DD1 is 6/1/2 and while I know it is super important to teach kids about money I am for some reason thinking that a 6/1/2 yr. old isn't that sophisticated to understand that concept yet, esp. for a $100 item. I think it is better to start with the little items, and maybe take her to the store after Christmas or for her birthday in April and set a limit of how much she can buy, and then she can pick out a few things. Now in the next two years if she wants a second doll then I will be all for her spending her money, but up until now unless it is an item from the snack bar or a less than $20 toy bought with a Target gift card she hasn't bought much for herself.

Sorry that got a little long, but really just asking for opinions.

sweet_pea
10-30-2012, 02:42 PM
I voted "other" because my DD is too young for an AG doll yet, but I had one (Kirsten) growing up and I got it at age 8 or 9 from my parents (well, actually it was Santa Claus who brought it ;)). Most of the additional outfits/accessories I bought myself using my birthday money from other family members, although I did get a few more as gifts from my parents for subsequent birthdays/Christmases, including Kirsten's beautiful trunk, which was a great place to store all of her clothing.

AngelaS
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
My girls each bought them with their own money. They each get $100 from great grandpa at Christmas so it was kind of like he bought them.

citymama
10-30-2012, 03:28 PM
We're in a *very* similar place - except DD doesn't get much money for the holidays. So she saw the AG catalog and is obsessed. She wants Josefina AND a look like me doll. She wants grandma (who loves dolls) to buy her Josefina, and grandma will probably oblige. She wants to save her money to get a look like me doll. She has all of $18 right now and says she wants money instead of Hannukah presents. If so, she would get 2 dolls at Christmas which seems crazy. I'm trying to persuade her to get one doll, then see if she wants doll accessories or another doll for her 7th birthday. I don't know how to vote as it could be grandma, us or her own money that buys her first doll!

Incidentally, we are encouraging her to save and buy things with her own money, but I agree this is just a little too expensive to be the first big purchase. Maybe you could buy her the doll and she could save up for accessories?

AnnieW625
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
DH's parents and DH's grandma gives her $100 to $150 for her birthday and Christmas. I wouldn't let her spend it all. At least half would have to go into savings. That would be what my parents did when we were kids if family sent money for us. They would buy a gift and put the rest in savings for us. My MIL kind of scoffed and rolled her eyes when I used most of the money they sent to DD1 for her first Christmas to buy her some outfits and some toys so since then I have always just put the money in the savings, but I might have DH mention that DD1 wants something specific and see how she handles that.

cckwmh
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
DD got Marie Grace at age 6 from Santa. It was all she asked for. She wanted more AG stuff, including a pet and another doll. DD got a special award at school for being a kind and compassionate friend, so we took her to the AG store and she could pick out a pet.

She still wanted another doll, and asked if she could have a yard sale to sell her old toys for $ to buy an AG doll (she is turning 7 soon). We let her, and she got enough money to buy Kaya and her horse. I was certain she would have bought Cecille, as that is all she talked about wanting. She went through the entire store and held every doll, looked at the accessories, and picked Kaya. She is so proud that she paid for it herself and tells everyone she did. I was psyched it was her idea to get rid of toys!

KrisM
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
We bought DD's doll on a trip to the store. It was a surprise for her. No birthday, etc, just there to buy the doll.

If my DD got that much money for Christmas, I think it would be fine for her to buy it herself, as it's like it's from her grandparents. My DD gets $20 or so at Christmas and I let her spend it as she wants. If she got $300, I'd make sure some went into savings and some towards what she wanted.

If you don't get the doll for Christmas, would you get her a couple accessories?

AnnieW625
10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
If you don't get the doll for Christmas, would you get her a couple accessories?

I wouldn't buy the accessories without the doll first. Now if she was a year or two older I would give those a pre gifts and then take her to the store for lunch and to let her pick out the doll, which I am sure even as a 6.5 yr. old she would love now, but there is still an allure of Santa for her this year so I really think this will be her large Santa gift. Now if for some reason Marie Grace sells out online and at the store before Christmas (my plan is to order online with their free shipping promo and have it sent to my parents where we will be for Xmas) then I can see giving her some accessories and writing a letter explaining that we have to pick up Marie Grace in person at the store, but I have a feeling she'll be dissapointed if she does not get it on Christmas morning. I already told her I can't make any promises, but she rarely asks for something more than once so I want to make sure this works out for her.

KrisM
10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't buy the accessories without the doll first. Now if she was a year or two older I would give those a pre gifts and then take her to the store for lunch and to let her pick out the doll, which I am sure even as a 6.5 yr. old she would love now, but there is still an allure of Santa for her this year so I really think this will be her large Santa gift. Now if for some reason Marie Grace sells out online and at the store before Christmas (my plan is to order online with their free shipping promo and have it sent to my parents where we will be for Xmas) then I can see giving her some accessories and writing a letter explaining that we have to pick up Marie Grace in person at the store, but I have a feeling she'll be dissapointed if she does not get it on Christmas morning. I already told her I can't make any promises, but she rarely asks for something more than once so I want to make sure this works out for her.

I'd get it for her. Let her go and pick out the accessories herself. Or if you know there is 1 or 2 that she'd love, buy them and let her buy them from you. I'm not sure how close to the store you are. If you're close definitely go and let her look!

AnnieW625
10-30-2012, 06:15 PM
I'd get it for her. Let her go and pick out the accessories herself. Or if you know there is 1 or 2 that she'd love, buy them and let her buy them from you. I'm not sure how close to the store you are. If you're close definitely go and let her look!

45 minutes or so, an hour max with LA traffic (it is in the one general area of the LA City limits I don't mind driving in so that is a huge plus!). The store is fun. I went there when I bought her the single Bitty Twin doll she got for her 5th birthday, and thought it was fun then. I think she would have a blast as well.

katydid1971
10-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I voted other because when DD was a baby the Kirsten was retired so MIL, my mom and I bought everything for her. My mom and I bought most of it MIL bought the bed and quilt. DD is 4 right now and I'm waiting to give it to her. She is still a little hard on things and I want her to be a little older so she can appreciate it and take good care of it. She loves dolls and is getting a Gotz 18 inch PBK doll for Christmas from my mom.

Liziz
10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I voted "other" because my DD is too young for an AG doll yet, but I had one (Kirsten) growing up and I got it at age 8 or 9 from my parents (well, actually it was Santa Claus who brought it ;)). Most of the additional outfits/accessories I bought myself using my birthday money from other family members, although I did get a few more as gifts from my parents for subsequent birthdays/Christmases, including Kirsten's beautiful trunk, which was a great place to store all of her clothing.

I was the opposite. Like you, my DD is too young....but when I wanted one growing up (and it was Kirsten, too!), I bought it with my own money, and then my parents gave me outfits and such as presents. My parents' rationale was the $100 is *a lot* to spend on a doll, and they wanted me to be really serious about wanting it before getting it. They didn't want to buy me a $100 doll I decided I didn't care about soon after. However, I don't remember how old I was! I think I was older than 6 1/2 though, so money might have "meant" more to me at the time....

Neatfreak
10-31-2012, 12:14 AM
I also voted other - her historical AG doll was DD1's Santa gift when she was 6.5.

brittone2
10-31-2012, 07:47 AM
We went to Boston with DH for a work trip around DD's 5th bday. We took her to the AG store in Natick, as we don't have any AG stores near our home (closest is 1.5-2 hrs). She picked out a Just Like You doll, so not a historical. That was her bday gift. She reaaaaally wanted the crutch/cast set, and so she spent some of her own money for that. The whole experience of going, etc. was great and a lot of fun. We did that instead of a party last year (I usually give a choice between an "adventure" or a party).

This year Santa is bringing Kit (DD will have just turned 6). She has been reading the books and now is much, much more interested in the historical dolls.

vonfirmath
10-31-2012, 10:08 AM
DH wants DD1 to buy the doll with her Christmas money, which she should get about $300. I am thinking DH and I should buy it. It will be her big gift next to maybe another $20 gift (Coconut dog) and stocking stuffers. DD has circled everything she wants in the catalog and I would be fine with her using some of her Xmas money to get some of those things, mainly the outfits and such, but telling her she has to buy the doll on her own with her Xmas money doesn't sit right with me.

It won't hurt her to buy the doll for herself.
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. BOTH of her kids saved up their birthday and holiday money to buy the 1 American Girl doll each has. The youngest started saving when she was 3 and bought at age 4.

khalloc
10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Just out of curiousity, when does AG have a free shipping promo? I was thinking of buying DD 2 "special occasion" dresses for her dolls for Christmas.

brittone2
10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Just out of curiousity, when does AG have a free shipping promo? I was thinking of buying DD 2 "special occasion" dresses for her dolls for Christmas.
Now through the 20th of Nov, IIRC. Code in the Lounge (eta: sorry, meant to say bargains board! Thanks to Kris for posting it for you below)...I just ordered DD's Kit doll while the code is good.

Sometimes they have accessories, etc. on sale around Black Friday. Other people will know more details. I ordered some stuff for DD's bitty baby last year around that time. Not sure if the dresses go on sale or not, as I'm a relative AG newbie.

KrisM
10-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Use code PF29096 for free shipping on $100 or more by Nov. 20.

khalloc
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks. Where do you put the code on the checkout screen? Is it after the page where you give them your credit card info?

I dont want to buy yet, but I am thinking I will order on Nov 20th when this code expires to get the free shipping.

AnnieW625
10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Katy, I debated about buying Felicity, Kirsten, and Samantha for my girls as well when they were discontinued, which honestly I think is kind of sad. I do however plan on buying Josefina for my girls if she does get discontinued because that is closer to her heritage than most of the other dolls, although the new doll Caroline is pretty close to DH's paternal side. Felicity was close to my dads side of the family as my great grandmother had family members who had been here since the Revolution.

It won't hurt her to buy the doll for herself.
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. BOTH of her kids saved up their birthday and holiday money to buy the 1 American Girl doll each has. The youngest started saving when she was 3 and bought at age 4.

I know in general it won't and last year when she told my grandma that she wanted an American Girl doll I told her she had to wait and save her money, but now that she is a year older and that is seriously almost the only thing she has asked for I would feel weird not getting it for her. If it was lower on her list then I probably wouldn't feel like we would be letting her down if we didn't get it for her.

KrisM
11-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks. Where do you put the code on the checkout screen? Is it after the page where you give them your credit card info?

I dont want to buy yet, but I am thinking I will order on Nov 20th when this code expires to get the free shipping.

When I click on my cart, there is a spot near the top right for key codes or promotional codes.

AnnieW625
11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Both DH and I decided to get her the doll plus the accessories, and the single book. I also got her the gym performance outfit for her birthday. Am debating about the gym set as well for her birthday; $85 seems like a lot :bag.

Thanks for the input.

KrisM
11-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Both DH and I decided to get her the doll plus the accessories, and the single book. I also got her the gym performance outfit for her birthday. Am debating about the gym set as well for her birthday; $85 seems like a lot :bag.

Thanks for the input.

It is a lot!

I have found that my DD, who is 6.5, plays with the 'stuff' more than the outfits. She changes their clothes a bit, but not a ton. She loves to have her dolls rollerblade, ice skate, sit in the wheel chair, etc. The more active things get a lot of play. I fully expect her to play with the beam and bar for a good amount of time.

Glad you ordered! She will be thrilled!

ETA: Don't forget to get a brush for her and a small spray bottle.

AnnieW625
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
It is a lot!

ETA: Don't forget to get a brush for her and a small spray bottle.

We already have the brush as I bought it to go with her single Bitty Twin doll. Still on the fence about the beam and bars set.

traciann
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
We already have the brush as I bought it to go with her single Bitty Twin doll. Still on the fence about the beam and bars set.

I would order the bar and beam set. Right now before it sells out. It has been difficult to catch in stock...all year long. Another board I read said that it has alot of play value. My mom purchased it for my DD who has McKenna and she is in gymnastics...so it wasn't something she asked for but I am certain she will love playing with. If she doesn't I could always sell for full price because you won't be able to buy it once it sells out.

FWIW my dd has a bitty baby for 3 years before she became interested in the larger dolls. I explained to her that it was a $100 doll and that she would need to wait until her 6th birthday (6 months). She got a My American Girl doll. For her 7th birthday my mom bought her Mckenna. She now says she wants Caroline...but I told her we would have to read each of the historical girl dolls books before she can get another doll. Three is my limit...and I want her to choose wisely. :)

Melaine
11-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh man, I would have looooved the beam and bars set....not to pressure you Annie.

Mermanaid
11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
We bought the bar and beam set to give for Christmas. Mallory's 8th birthday is Tuesday and she is getting McKenna. I almost can't wait to give it to her!

KrisM
11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I'd get the beam and bar. If you want, hold it until her birthday. There are enough here doing it for Christmas that we can let you know how it is! You can always return or sell to someone else.

If you want free shipping, there are some things in the sale section. Ice Skates for $7, a couple pets at $10 each, hair stuff for $10, a dvd for $2, etc. Good stocking stuffer things :) Since shipping is $10.95, I'd add a few things and get to $100. Or go buy it at the store :)