PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going to DL for 1 day?

lmr1101
10-31-2012, 12:14 AM
DD1 keeps telling everyone she sees that she will be going to DL when she is 4. Well, we don't have trip planned and I keep trying to tell her we aren't going for her birthday. But now I've been thinking... we do spend a decent amount of time in San Diego over the summer.

How crazy would it be to leave San Diego around 6am, drive up to DL, spend the day and then drive back home. It's about a 90 minute drive so I figure both kids would sleep in the car. Plus, both kids are up, dressed and fed every morning well before 6am so that's not an early wake up for us.

I just don't want to feel so rushed in DL or feel like we spent a lot of money on tickets and then not get to see enough.

So, am I crazy for even considering this???
TIA

wencit
10-31-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't think it's crazy at all. Of course, when we visit, I only spend one day at Disneyland too, so take that with a grain of salt! Assuming you get there pretty much when the park opens and plan your day wisely, I think one day is plenty. It might be a looooong day, depending on how your kids do, but totally fine, IMO.

sariana
10-31-2012, 12:35 AM
If you have reasonable expectations as to what you can see/do, a one-day trip could work, especially if you can get a good deal on tickets. You will want to plan your day so that you minimize getting from one place to another and maximize activities/rides. With a four year old that is not too difficult to do because you can limit yourselves to two, maybe three, areas. (How old is your other child?)

I don't think it's crazy. But there are no "non crowded" days in the summer. However, the hours are longer, so you can get more time if your kids can handle it.

If they are not into parades, you can plan to do certain things during the parades and/or shows (Fantasmic etc.).

lmr1101
10-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I guess that's the problem, limiting MY expectations. When I go places I like to cram as much in as possible.

My younger dd will be around 22 months if we go in the summer. I'm sure my dds will be thrilled to just go on a ride or two and walk around to see everything.

I may need to give this some more thought and see if we can really do it.

PunkyBoo
10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Growing up in southern California, I only ever spent single days at disneyland. So its doable. Last time we went, it was for Punkin's 5th birthday and Boo was only 6 weeks old. DH took Punkin on rides while I sat / nursed/ tended too Boo and they only got on about 4 or 5 rides. But we did his birthday dinner at Goofy's kitchen and he was over the moon happy with that and didn't care about his many rides he got on.

lalasmama
10-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I guess that's the problem, limiting MY expectations. When I go places I like to cram as much in as possible.

My younger dd will be around 22 months if we go in the summer. I'm sure my dds will be thrilled to just go on a ride or two and walk around to see everything.

I may need to give this some more thought and see if we can really do it.

Keeping expectations reasonable, and you should be fine... but, if it's going to be a run-run-run trip that's going to be hard to enjoy, then I'd rethink it.

Is there any chance someone can watch the younger DD for the day? At 4yo, DD would have likely been able to handle the trip, staying up, missing quiet time, etc., but, adding a 22mo wouldn't have worked for such a long day.

My general thoughts/planning would be this:

Decide on DL vs DCA. For my family, it's easier to get through most of DCA in 1 day, but we haven't been there since Cars Land opened.

Try to get someone to watch the little one. (Otherwise, I don't think I would try it!)

Figure out what *you* want to see/do. List the top 3.
Figure out what DD wants to do/see. List the top 3.
Figure out if/what DH wants to do/see. List the top 3.
Merge all those things together and see where they overlap. This was the most important part of planning with DD/me/SO--trying to get everyone's priorities met. Thankfully, SO cared about 3 rides, and that was it, so then it was just what DD and I wanted. We had a lot that overlapped, which helped.

Know that you are 90 minutes away, and anything you miss, you can always come back for!

If it was me, I would attempt something like this:
Park: DCA only.
6:00am Hop in car. Drive through McDonald's or such. (DD thinks eating breakfast in the car from McD's is, quite simply, the very best meal in the world.)
8:00am Arrive at DCA.
9:00am Park opens.
CarsLand FIRST. It gets busy FAST!
Snack time.
Bug's Land. All the rides are great for kids. No height requirements.
12ish Lunch.
Ariel. 'Nuff said. It's Ariel, and she's my second favorite Princess.
Toy Story Midway Madness.
Aladdin! or Playhouse Disney Jr show
Turtle Talk with Crush (between show before and this one, provides some quality quiet time)
5:30pm Dinner!
Monster's Inc
Repeat any rides that are must do
Snack
World of Color
10:00pm Tired kid. Tired mom. Tired dad. Bummer drive home. Expect kid snoring :)

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
We did it a few years ago and plan to do it again in Feb.! You just need to be selective about what you do and just relax about it. See what you see and be happy. :)

lmr1101
11-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I love the idea of listing top 3 for each of us. That's a great way to make me focus on making sure everyone has a good time. I know when we get there, just watching my dd face will help me relax!

smiles33
11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Great advice so far. I agree with lalasmama that you should try to pick 1 park rather than park hopping. I prefer Disneyland itself though, with its iconic Main Street, castle and Matterhorn. I don't know how sensitive your 4 year old is, as the dark rides in Fantasyland can scare some. yet even if you skip all the dark rides (as we did), you can still go to all the character meet & greets (Tinkerbell, Princesses, etc.). That's what sets DLR apart IMHO-- the fantastic opportunities for an immersion experience beyond just the rides. Have a great time!

PS DISboards folks says Carsland is still drawing huge crowds and I anticipate will for some time since so many people want to see it (lots of WDW fans who live back East are traveling to DLR for the first time). So that's another reason I'd stick to Disneyland for a 1 day trip.

lmr1101
11-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Smiles33 I think you're right.
If we are going for one day I would have to do DL. If it goes well we could always do this again soon and hit DCA next time.

Knowing my dd1 she won't want to go on most of the rides. She just keeps talking about seeing the castle where Cinderella lives. I think she'll love walking around Main St. and even watching the parades.

Twoboos
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I would say get to DL as early as possible, and hit the Fantasyland rides first. Those back up the fastest. (If you even want to do those, some rides are "dark" like Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad.) Mickey's Toon Town was a great place to meet the major players - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Goofy.

Have a blast! I totally want to go back to DL!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Have you been to DL before? I'd been to DW in FL a few times before going to DL and I was so disappointed by the castle. The one in FL is so big and grand. Just throwing it out there if you and dd expected it to be like the FL one.

smiles33
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Have you been to DL before? I'd been to DW in FL a few times before going to DL and I was so disappointed by the castle. The one in FL is so big and grand. Just throwing it out there if you and dd expected it to be like the FL one.

WDW visitors are ALWAYS disappointed by the castle at DLR. At WDW, the castle is the central focal point but at DLR, it's really Matterhorn, not the castle. I hear they sometimes have Mickey CLIMB up Matterhorn (on ropes) so that would be cool to see. Anyhow, the Howard Johnson Anaheim has a cool webcam that flashes between Matterhorn, Tower of Terror and other parts of the DLR. Here's a link to it on DISBoards:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2694546

Tenasparkl
11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Smiles33 I think you're right.
If we are going for one day I would have to do DL. If it goes well we could always do this again soon and hit DCA next time.

Knowing my dd1 she won't want to go on most of the rides. She just keeps talking about seeing the castle where Cinderella lives. I think she'll love walking around Main St. and even watching the parades.

At DL it's Sleeping Beauty's castle (just so she isn't disappointed!)

We go for day trips and I feel like we see enough to make it worth it.

lmr1101
11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

SnuggleBuggles: Thanks for the heads up. I ran the Disneyland 1/2 marathon the past 3 years and my dd has seen pictures of me running through the Castle so she already has a picture of it in her mind. I've only been to DW once when I was younger so I really don't have much to compare it to :)

Tenasparkl: I'm glad you corrected me. In case we go I can start letting her know it is Sleeping Beauty's castle so she isn't asking for the wrong princess!

Now that I think this is doable I just need to run it by my DH and make sure he's on board. He is the one that would rather just sit at the beach all day and relax on vacation.

smiles33
11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
P.S. I think the best thing to tell your DH is, "Look, I know this isn't your ideal vacation, but DD will absolutely love it and I think you'd want to be there to see the glowing smile on her face..." It worked for my DH, who really hates Los Angeles, didn't enjoy DLR as a kid, and did not want to go last year (he wanted to wait until our youngest was older).

He ultimately enjoyed himself (somewhat) and even wrote his own Trip Report on his college football website here:

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/9/19/2436659/dbd-9-20-11-disney-on-wheeeeeeeels

Warning: it's not PC as he had to rent an electric wheelchair due to impending hip surgery and refers to a lady who glared at him when he tried to enter the special parade seating section as a manatee....But many folks who read it on DIS told me they think he's pretty funny and your DH might appreciate the male perspective on the craziness that is DLR planning (yes, DH thinks I'm obsessive compulsive).

Tondi G
11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
If your DD wants to see princesses then you want to go to Disneyland. If you plan it out and use fast passes you can have a wonderful single day at Disneyland. You will want to hit Fantasyland first... then maybe toontown... then to Tomorrowland for Nemo submarines, autopia, buzz lightyear.... the head over to the Jungle cruise and Pirates of the caribbean... then over to the winnie the pooh ride.

Your almost 2 year old will have a great time too!