PDA

View Full Version : Don't parents teach manners anymore?

KLD313
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
People are so rude and teaching their kids to be the same. I took my 2 yo to the mall for trick or treating since Halloween was basically canceled due to the storm. It was mobbed and she was in a stroller. People were lined up at the stores were giving candy but so many kids would cut the line the parents were either standing their watching or pushing them to do it. Crazy! I really wanted to run over their little feet with the stroller. :icon_twisted: I mean is all that worth it for a lousy little Dum Dum? Ugh!

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
BTDT. The worst is kid sections of amusement parks around here. I stay in line with my boys otherwise they'd never get a turn with all the other twerps cutting in line.

ArizonaGirl
10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
:yeahthat:

Truthfully, many times I don't even like being around other people's kids because they are so poorly behaved and lack basic manners.

Charlie
10-31-2012, 08:45 PM
I was shocked at some of the behavior I saw while trick or treating. Most kids just shoved their bags into someone's face and never said "trick or treat" or "thank you."

teresah00
10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
We went to the mall bc of the storm too. The lines were crazy and so many stores were out of candy. Such a huge turnout bc of sandy. The people cutting. In line were driving me crazy. Many people were patiently waiting but the few bad eggs ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellokitty
10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree that a lot of kids don't have manners. However, I also see that the OP's child is only 2 yrs old. When my kids were that little, I thought that older kids were awful too. Well, now I have older kids and some of the same kind of judging that I did when I was a FTM has come back to haunt me.

I have an 8, 7 and 3 yr old. The older two have been taught manners, but sometimes you wouldn't know it. We go through issues where if they are around other kids (ie: ToT situation, playground, etc.), and if other kids are pushing and shoving, sometimes others will follow suit and do the same thing, even though they've been taught not to. When we ToT, I wait on the driveway, since it is so crowded by the door and I think that a lot of parents do that and it adds to the chaos mentality of the kids, b/c their parents aren't there nagging them to use their manners and if they see another kid acting a certain way, they often tend to follow. I nag mine right before they walk up to each house to wait their turn and say, "thank you," but that doesn't mean that they'll do it. So, I'm not excusing the behavior of the kids you saw today at the mall, but my kids have acted like they didn't have manners before when they were definitely taught manners. They say that they, "forgot," when I ask them why they were acting rude. I suspect that my kids aren't the only ones who do this. So, while this is a bitching post, I wanted to share a different perspective. Parenting is humbling. Never say never, b/c as soon as you say you will never have a kid who does X, your kid will end up doing X, just to prove you wrong later on, lol.

KLD313
10-31-2012, 09:57 PM
I agree that a lot of kids don't have manners. However, I also see that the OP's child is only 2 yrs old. When my kids were that little, I thought that older kids were awful too. Well, now I have older kids and some of the same kind of judging that I did when I was a FTM has come back to haunt me.

I have an 8, 7 and 3 yr old. The older two have been taught manners, but sometimes you wouldn't know it. We go through issues where if they are around other kids (ie: ToT situation, playground, etc.), and if other kids are pushing and shoving, sometimes others will follow suit and do the same thing, even though they've been taught not to. When we ToT, I wait on the driveway, since it is so crowded by the door and I think that a lot of parents do that and it adds to the chaos mentality of the kids, b/c their parents aren't there nagging them to use their manners and if they see another kid acting a certain way, they often tend to follow. I nag mine right before they walk up to each house to wait their turn and say, "thank you," but that doesn't mean that they'll do it. So, I'm not excusing the behavior of the kids you saw today at the mall, but my kids have acted like they didn't have manners before when they were definitely taught manners. They say that they, "forgot," when I ask them why they were acting rude. I suspect that my kids aren't the only ones who do this. So, while this is a bitching post, I wanted to share a different perspective. Parenting is humbling. Never say never, b/c as soon as you say you will never have a kid who does X, your kid will end up doing X, just to prove you wrong later on, lol.

I get that but the parents were right there, pushing the kids into the line or to the front. No kids were there alone and only a few parents corrected their kids for cutting and pushing.

On a more positive note, my DD was reaching out from her stroller trying to touch a little girl dressed like a princess. I stopped her but the girl saw my DD, reached into her candy bucket and handed her a piece. So sweet! Kids like that make up for the fresh ones. Lol

hellokitty
10-31-2012, 10:10 PM
I get that but the parents were right there, pushing the kids into the line or to the front. No kids were there alone and only a few parents corrected their kids for cutting and pushing.

On a more positive note, my DD was reaching out from her stroller trying to touch a little girl dressed like a princess. I stopped her but the girl saw my DD, reached into her candy bucket and handed her a piece. So sweet! Kids like that make up for the fresh ones. Lol

That's very sweet of that little girl. Yeah, and some parents are the ones who need to learn manners!

s7714
11-01-2012, 04:05 PM
The parents don't have manners, so the apples don't fall far from the tree.