PDA

View Full Version : First board game

williams44
11-01-2012, 01:24 AM
My daughter is 3. Is she too young for board games? If not, what would be good ones to start with. She loves floor puzzles, so I thought she might also like board games. Plus, I love them. :)

brittone2
11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Zingo

A Memory-type game (just start with a few pairs of cards). I love the Eeboo version, Life on Earth

ett
11-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Snails Pace Race

GvilleGirl
11-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi Ho Cheerio
Dominoes (Princesses)
CandyLandy

wellyes
11-01-2012, 08:25 AM
She is probably too young to play it correctly, but not too young to really enjoy the experience. I'd start with Memory. Haba Orchard and Busytown Mysteries are good ones. DD loved Cranium Cariboo at that age.

NewMom2007
11-01-2012, 09:06 AM
We love Haba Orchard and Zingo in our house. Get lots of play with our soon to be 3 year old.

Clarity
11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Haba Orchard, definitely. We also have Zingo and my girls enjoy a Haba "Socken Zocken" matching game.

wellyes
11-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Just wanted to add, I believe Hi Ho Cherry-O is essentially the same as Haba Orchard, so if you are being frugal you could buy that instead. But, our Hi Ho Cherry O didn't last long, it was pretty junky. Fun though.

Mommy_Mea
11-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Busytown gets lots of play in our house!

MMMommy
11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Candyland Castle.

Seitvonzu
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
candyland
chutes and ladders
busytown
hi-ho cherry (lasted fine in our house without that haba orchard price tag!)
memory but definitely limit the number of cards to start

we also have the ravensburger "first games"-- they are really cute. it's a little pricey but you get 4 different games :)

infomama
11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
I second Haba orchard. Great game!

mnosky1
11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
There are a few my 4 year old has been playing for a while - of the ones mentioned, I'll second a few of our faves- candy land castle (great beginner game - she's about grown out of it now) - regular candyland, zingo, memory of every type and sort. Pretty pretty princess is another one she's loved for a while and my older daughter loved around that age too. Tea party game (by eeboo), and eeboo's memory is very nice.
My DD couldn't get enough of caribou around age 3.5 but I had read (I think here) that the older version is better than the new version and lucked out to find it at a consignment sale.
I can't stand high ho cherry o- the board often gets dumped and cherries go rolling on the hardwood floor :)
Hullabaloo is fun for various age kids- although not a board game.
Elefun is popular for that age but I can't recommend buying it unless its secondhand for $2 or less (they have millions at consignment sales) because each game lasts about 5 seconds but kids seem to love it.
My DD now loves hyperdash and its so fun to play together but maybe 3 is too young- we have a Mickey Mouse clubhouse version that she could do when she was younger but wasn't as interested then.

wellyes
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Elefun is popular for that age but I can't recommend buying it unless its secondhand for $2 or less (they have millions at consignment sales) because each game lasts about 5 seconds but kids seem to love it.

That game is 92% setup, 3% adding batteries and 5% fun. Kids do have fun with it, though.

williams44
11-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I will check all of them out. One question about the Haba one. I just looked at amazon, and it looks like there is one called Haba Orchard and My First Orchard. For those of you recommending this one, are you talking about Orchard or My First Orchard. Or are they the same?

Thanks.

vonfirmath
11-03-2012, 12:35 AM
My daughter is 3. Is she too young for board games? If not, what would be good ones to start with. She loves floor puzzles, so I thought she might also like board games. Plus, I love them. :)

She is NOT too young for board games. My son was also a huge puzzle fan.

He started playing Candyland Castle and Go Away Monsters at 2 years old. Snail's Pace Race would have been good at this age too.

at 2.5 we added Haba Orchard to the mix. He also played Candlyland though he preferred Chutes and ladders

At 3 we added Gamewright's Hiss. Gulo Gulo. A domino game with pictures (though we didn't do so much of the "game" aspect. Just matching like to like)

At 4, Yahtzee Jr, and a game called Tsuro. Oh and he LOVES Hullabaloo. And Kids of Carcassone

ETA: Haba Orchard. They didn't have My First Orchard when we got it and he did fine with the full game.

specialp
11-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Busytown gets lots of play in our house!

:yeahthat:

hellbennt
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I learned about Family Pastimes games here:love5:

I wholeheartedly recommend Sleeping Grump!

Jai
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
DS likes to play Zingo and the Stormy Seas game (Hape). We have also played Busy Town.