PDA

View Full Version : Ugh when will the cancer END??!!

gatorsmom
11-01-2012, 10:51 AM
I just found out another family member has cancer. In case you've lost count, that makes 9 cancer victims in the last 10 years.

2002 Mom's sister Marlene dies of lung cancer
2003 SIL has hysterectomy due to cervical cancer (but survives!)
2003 dad's brother Russ dies of prostate cancer
2005 Mom dies of breast cancer
2005 mom's sister Fran discovers breast cancer (but is still in remission yay!)
2008 mom's brother uncle David discovers terminal lung cancer
2009 dad discovers bladder cancer
2011 dad dies
2011 uncle David dies
2012 dad's SIL Aunt Connie discovers terminal ovarian cancer
2012 mom's brother Jimmy discovers terminal brain cancer

So Uncle Jimmy was just diagnosed 2 days ago. My cousins, which I am close to, let me know. They are a mess. Mom had 9 siblings and they were all very sweet, loving people which is amazing consider they were so poor they grew up in a ramshackle, tar-paper shack. All my cousins are freaking out thinking their parent is next. I am pretty numb, actually. My mom is already dead. Dad's gone too. I rode that roller coaster and have picked up the pieces of my shattered life. Is it terrible that I'm not a mess like all my cousins? I'm just numb and just don't feel like falling apart again. I'm so glad my turn is over.

wencit
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm so sorry. :hug:

Cancer is an awful, terrible, horrible disease. I pray someone finds a cure in our lifetime.

marymoo86
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm so sorry!

Is there anything in common with all of your family? Is it thought to be environmental, hereditary etc?

Hugs to you and PP&T!

AnnieW625
11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
hugs and prayers to you and your uncle and his family.

boolady
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm so sorry, Lisa. My family history doesn't read quite as badly as yours, but really only because it seems I have fewer relatives. It really is an awful, awful thing. :grouphug:

zukeypur
11-01-2012, 12:20 PM
So sorry.

Twoboos
11-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I am pretty numb, actually. My mom is already dead. Dad's gone too. I rode that roller coaster and have picked up the pieces of my shattered life. Is it terrible that I'm not a mess like all my cousins? I'm just numb and just don't feel like falling apart again. I'm so glad my turn is over.

You are certainly never going to feel as distraught as you did about your own parents! It's certainly not bad at all - I think numb and "btdt" feelings are right on. But you definitely know how they feel. (Just like I know how you feel - btdt myself and it's terrible to hear about but it doesn't hit you the same. Hard to explain.)

Hugs to you, it's a horrible disease that affects too many people. I also just found out an uncle has stomach cancer. :22:

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I am so sorry.

niccig
11-01-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry. That is just too much. :hug:

Melaine
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry. That's awful.

elektra
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Totally not fair. So sorry to hear that. I think it's totally understandable that your cousins would be more upset. You have already BTDT unfortunately.

MamaMolly
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Oh I am so sorry!! And of course it isn't going to be the same as when it
Is your own parents. I think the numbness is protective right now. P&PT for your family.

HonoluluMom
11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm so sorry.

hillview
11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I had to re-read that list twice. Wow. I've *only* gone through my mom's stage IV colon cancer and that was so hard, I really cannot imagine. You are one tough lady! Sending you P&PT.

JustMe
11-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm so sorry.

I get it, sort of I think. I lost both my mom and very dear then 40 year old friend to lung cancer just as the 2 biggest losses; there are more, and unfortuantely one I know is coming--another really wonderful person.

My parents have both died, although my dad did not have cancer. There is really nothing like going through that and its nothing I want to repeat in any way. Its hard watching others go through the same and, yet, there is nothing really the same as watching your own parents suffer and then loosing them.