PDA

View Full Version : update in 12..DSLR or P/S to WDW

infomama
11-02-2012, 04:53 AM
I keep going back and forth on this. Last time we had a p/s and it was fine. Now I have the DSLR and think I should take it because it takes such nice pictures/I have more control over the shots and conversely I think I should leave it because it's more cumbersome/fragile.
Also..we have smart phones that take nice pictures but not high resolution (4s and droid razr).

WatchingThemGrow
11-02-2012, 06:54 AM
for us, point and shoot. Fun is more important.

KHF
11-02-2012, 07:25 AM
I took my DSLR and I'm glad I did. I bought a long strap for it so I could wear it easily cross body and I bought a neoprene wrap cover for it so I could put it in my backpack when I needed to. I don't ever carry a separate camera bag and I just took my favorite lens and left it at that. I was able to have plenty of fun, even with the bigger camera, and the higher quality of pictures that I got in return was well worth it.

belovedgandp
11-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I waffled when we went four years ago and so happy I took the DSLR. After getting spoiled by a much better camera the idea of going back was hard to swallow. Plus these were once in a lifetime shots I wanted to capture.

WDW isn't thrill rides, it's experiences. So I had the small case that fit in the backpack and left one lens on and never regretted it.

WatchingThemGrow
11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
for us, point and shoot. Fun is more important.

I need to add that we go for a day 2x a year, so it's not a once-in a lifetime thing for us, so ymmv. We keep our big camera packed for visiting with family members later in the week. Although, the characters are a lot more fun to look at than our family members!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I took my DSLR and I'm glad I did. I bought a long strap for it so I could wear it easily cross body and I bought a neoprene wrap cover for it so I could put it in my backpack when I needed to. I don't ever carry a separate camera bag and I just took my favorite lens and left it at that. I was able to have plenty of fun, even with the bigger camera, and the higher quality of pictures that I got in return was well worth it.

that is a good idea. I need to get a long strap. And a neoprene cover so i can put it in a diaper bag or something. I often have the same dilemma when we go somewhere with the kids (pumpkin patch, etc). I really, really love the quality of the DSLR pictures (and the ability to edit them in Lightroom). Last year I didn't take a dslr and i was kinda bummed at the pic quality...this year i made sure to take it and i was glad i did.

newnana
11-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks for asking this, I've been waffling, too!

It will be just DD and I (no DH)and a first trip (maybe only) for both of us. I ordered the PhotoPass + last night on sale for $149 instead of $199 so that I could be in the pictures and not be as worried about getting great shots and trying to just enjoy more.

I've been heavily debating what all I will have to be carrying. Thanks to other recs I got the overland donner bag and trying to decide how to not make it too heavy since I'll be the sherpa.

If you don't mind an add on, I was wondering if with the Photopass + (so I get the cd with all the images and don't have to pick/choose) you would still take DSLR? I'm thinking yes. thank you!

belovedgandp
11-02-2012, 09:51 AM
We went in 2007 and 2011 (guess I was off by a year above), but took the DSLR both times. Second time I didn't use it as much because we had the photopass. I LOVED buying the photopass. The 2007 trip there are 3 pictures out of HUNDREDS with all four of us in them. The 2011 trip I was having us all jump together in lots of pictures.

Photopass was nice for some of the character areas where Disney has a photographer. We did autograph books, so I could focus on the kids and interaction and not taking a picture.

I did use my camera a lot for candid things that make the story of the trip and character meals.

I typically travel light around home with the idea that if I really needed something we could go to the car. But Disney requires long days that mean I'm going to carry a bag of some kind no matter what might as well have things I like and need in it.

scrooks
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks for this thread! I am still waffling about which to take!

infomama
11-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Neck and neck!

infomama
11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
DSLR it is. I'm going to get a replacement for my broken kit lens. I liked it and it's fairly inexpensive as far as lenses goes. one week to go!

infomama
11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I took the DLSR and the separate video camera and while i have some nice shots I think I would have taken more video clips if I had a p/s. I love watching those clips so next time I'll take a p/s with hi def video!