PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end?

flashy09
11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I breastfed exclusively until 7 months and then started supplementing. This has worked really well until the last two weeks. Teething was the first issue - she was funny about sucking and didn't nurse nearly as long as normal. I figured it hurt to suck and would get better once the teeth pushed through and it did seem to briefly. Then she got a cold and it's been awful.

Sunday night was the first night of her cold and she slept terribly. I sat up in bed so she was upright and nursed her most of the night. She only would latch on for a minute or two and then pull off, cry, and latch again. Figured it was her cold making it hard for her to breathe and nurse. The day was even worse and I am pretty sure she had no breast milk and that night before bed she just bit down hard from the start and never attempted to suck. I tried and tried and all she would do is bite and bear down and pull off. Stupidly, I didn't pump that night - I was so tired from the night before and my breasts were totally soft and tiny anyway. The next morning tried her again....same thing. I pumped and got maybe 1/2 ounce total after close to 24 hrs without any real nursing. I have been pumping 3x a day (get 1/4 to 1/2 ounce) since thinking she would nurse better when not sick, but every time I try she immediately bites and finally now today she won't even go near the breast!

I always thought I would be fine stopping, but I have really enjoyed breastfeeding an older baby. She is so appreciative and gets so excited to nurse - makes all the early struggles so worth it! I never in a million years thought she would ever turn away and it's really breaking my heart! I thought there would come a day where I didn't offer and she didn't ask or notice. Not that SHE would totally reject it. I feel so nostalgic and sad and suddenly not ready for it to end. Maybe it's the hormone change, but I am kind of a mess! Is there any hope of repairing my supply and getting her to try again? I never yelled or scared her when she bit so that is not the cause.

If she won't latch and I am able to pump 1 to 1.5 oz per day, will she get any health benefits from such a small amount?

Blue Hydrangea
11-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand, so the more you pump, or she nurses, in general, the more you will produce. Supplimenting tells your body you don't need to make that much milk, which is in part why your supply has dwindled. If she's eating a lot of solids now, that can interfere with how much milk she has room for in her tummy as well. If you want to keep breastfeeding, drink TONS of water and keep offering her the breast, you can increase supply.

As for the crying when trying to suck, I'd look at taking her in the dr. to check for an ear infection. If that's all clear and it's just the stuffy nose interfering, I've had success with saline nose spray and nasal suction right before nursing, to help baby's nose clear, at least temporarily so she can eat.

flashy09
11-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand, so the more you pump, or she nurses, in general, the more you will produce. Supplimenting tells your body you don't need to make that much milk, which is in part why your supply has dwindled. If she's eating a lot of solids now, that can interfere with how much milk she has room for in her tummy as well. If you want to keep breastfeeding, drink TONS of water and keep offering her the breast, you can increase supply.

As for the crying when trying to suck, I'd look at taking her in the dr. to check for an ear infection. If that's all clear and it's just the stuffy nose interfering, I've had success with saline nose spray and nasal suction right before nursing, to help baby's nose clear, at least temporarily so she can eat.

Thanks so much. She is pretty much over the cold so not crying when sucking, but either immediately biting or turning her head and refusing. I think it must be due to how little milk I make instead of the teething or cold at this stage. My DH suggested pouring the drops I pump over the nipple so she is tempted by the smell and maybe will tempted to try again. I am not going to give up until I have to!

Green_Tea
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I went through this with DD1 when she was a little older than your DD. She was getting frustrated that I didn't let down quickly and then wouldn't want to continue nursing. I did three things:

1) Upped my fluid intake. I drank like CRAZY. Like 100 ounces a day. I also drank a single dark beer each night. A very seasoned maternity nurse recommended that when I took a breastfeeding class while pregnant. I figured it wouldn't hurt, could help ;).

I also found that drinking a glass of water WHILE I was nursing helped me let down faster. I have no idea why.

2) Took fenugreek.

3) Pumped. I didn't give her the pumped milk immediately, I stored it for another time - but it totally helped up my supply.

Once my supply increased and I let down more quickly, we got back into our groove. I was super stressed out at the time, but we got over the hump.

flashy09
11-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I went through this with DD1 when she was a little older than your DD. She was getting frustrated that I didn't let down quickly and then wouldn't want to continue nursing. I did three things:

1) Upped my fluid intake. I drank like CRAZY. Like 100 ounces a day. I also drank a single dark beer each night. A very seasoned maternity nurse recommended that when I took a breastfeeding class while pregnant. I figured it wouldn't hurt, could help ;).

I also found that drinking a glass of water WHILE I was nursing helped me let down faster. I have no idea why.

2) Took fenugreek.

3) Pumped. I didn't give her the pumped milk immediately, I stored it for another time - but it totally helped up my supply.

Once my supply increased and I let down more quickly, we got back into our groove. I was super stressed out at the time, but we got over the hump.

Thank you. Do you think pumping for a minute or two on the stimulation phase so my milk is ready to let down before offering would help? Did you DD ever actually not latch on? That is what mine is doing today - turning her head away. She looks at the breast and her whole face crumples and she is so sad, like she wants to nurse, but knows there is no milk. It is just heartbreaking! I just want to get some sort of supply back so I can at least nurse her for comfort (probably mine) for a few minutes a few times a day. I will get pumping!

123LuckyMom
11-02-2012, 10:29 PM

2) Took fenugreek.

This exactly!!! Get your supply up and don't make her work for the letdown just now. More Milk Plus tincture worked even better for me than Fenugreek. Start the herbs right away, and keep pumping even if you're getting very little. You might even want to try to use a tube at your nipple with expressed milk to help your DD get a quick reward while you let down. Pumping to let down is another good idea. Do also get her checked out as she may still be having pain when swallowing. I'm so sorry for you guys! Your description of her little face crumpling-- well I could just see it, and I so feel for you! You can get over this hump, though, just act quickly! I had an episode like this with my DS-- more than one probably--and we kept nursing to 2.5. You don't need to stop now if you and DD are not ready.

mikala
11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
PP gave great advice. This page also has useful info. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/#linksstrike

I'd approach it from two angles simultaneously :how to maintain and boost supply and how to lure her back to the boob.

Try some skin to skin time in addition to any herbs and pumping. Oatmeal also seems to help my supply.

Green_Tea
11-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Thank you. Do you think pumping for a minute or two on the stimulation phase so my milk is ready to let down before offering would help? Did you DD ever actually not latch on? That is what mine is doing today - turning her head away. She looks at the breast and her whole face crumples and she is so sad, like she wants to nurse, but knows there is no milk. It is just heartbreaking! I just want to get some sort of supply back so I can at least nurse her for comfort (probably mine) for a few minutes a few times a day. I will get pumping!

I do think that "priming the pump" might help. If you can hand express a bit of milk or pump for a minute or two to expedite letdown, I bet that would improve things. If she can see/smell/taste the milk, she'll be more likely to latch on and work for it. I kind of treated DD like a newborn - I would express a few drops to encourage her, and that, combined with lots of fluids and other ways to increase supply, got us over the hump.

Nooknookmom
11-03-2012, 03:55 AM

All of that and try adding Fenugreek to your diet. I had to-my supply was SO low and DD2 was allergic to milk and soy so no supplementing for us I was her cash cow!

I had Many episodes where I thought it was the end (and cried) only to get my supply up.

I nursed till she was 4 ( only at bedtime by then).

Hang in there!!! I miss it now though :(

flashy09
11-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Thank you so much everyone!

I pumped last night for 20 minutes with no results and pumped this morning and again no milk, but my DH brought her the bedroom and she latched on and sucked for a few minutes each side. I did have to unlatch her off the right side when she clamped down at the end. I don't know if she got anything, but it made me feel a lot better!

Has anyone brought their supply back from how low mine is? I get nothing or just some drops the past two days.