PDA

View Full Version : Apple butter?

flashy09
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Could I spread this on toast for my 11 month old? I am not all that familiar with it- too sticky?

lizzywednesday
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Why not?

There's nothing in it that would be an allergen. The only thing that might give me pause is if the particular brand used honey rather than sugar as the sweetener due to botulism concerns.

I gave my 11-month-old DD Nutella without thinking, but she didn't have any dairy or nut issues while nursing & I never gave up nuts, dairy or peanut butter. (IIRC, your DD has dairy troubles?)

flashy09
11-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Why not?

There's nothing in it that would be an allergen. The only thing that might give me pause is if the particular brand used honey rather than sugar as the sweetener due to botulism concerns.

I gave my 11-month-old DD Nutella without thinking, but she didn't have any dairy or nut issues while nursing & I never gave up nuts, dairy or peanut butter. (IIRC, your DD has dairy troubles?)

She does have a milk protein intolerance. I am almost positive there is no dairy in the apple butter I bought. But I am worried it will be too sticky to swallow. I am so paranoid when she eats! This is a seperate question, but would you give a CMPI baby eggs? It's not dairy, but I know can be allergenic and so makes me nervous. But I would love to expand her menu of soft finger foods! She's had no problems with any food so far.

lizzywednesday
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Take a deep breath. I think you're worrying a lot more than you need to, which is pretty easy with a baby! I know it's scary - my nephew was VERY allergic to soy & dairy as an infant but he is doing fine now at just over 2.

(1) Apple butter isn't like peanut butter texture-wise. It's more like jam than anything else.

(2) Nothing is going to be "too sticky" to swallow in small amounts.

As far as the eggs, I'm not an expert, so I'd rather not give any advice, but I'd call your DD's pediatrician to see what they recommend. I've been feeding my DD scrambled egg since before 1 yr old, but, again, she doesn't have any other issues. (Also, I make my scrambled eggs with milk & butter, which doesn't sound like it'd work with your DD!)

flashy09
11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
She loved the apple butter!

MSWR0319
11-05-2012, 09:41 PM
DS2 has MSPI. Our pedi allergist (DS1 has a nut allergy) told me no eggs before 1. I'm not sure if it's MSPI related or just in general, because I think I remember our pedi telling us at DS1s 1 yo checkup he could now have eggs, but that was 4 years ago so I don't specifically remember.

lizzywednesday
11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
She loved the apple butter!

Good!

Like I said, it's more like finely milled preserves than it is like peanut butter.