PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a first scooter for a three year old

CharlotteMommy
11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Thinking about giving this for a Xmas present for DS. Thank you!

kep
11-05-2012, 03:29 PM
The Mini-Kick scooter. We now have three of the Maxi-Kick scooters... we love them that much. Super quality, easy to ride, great customer service.

bekahjean
11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree with the mini/maxi kick suggestion! I would most likely buy the maxi for a 3 year old. I got my 4 year old a maxi kick. My two year old prefers his brother's maxi kick to the mini that he got. The handle on the maxi telescopes up, while the mini does not. Also, the wider platform makes it easier to ride. Lastly, the difference in weight limit is huge. Mini kick goes up to 45 lbs, maxi goes up to 120 lbs.

Mommaof3
11-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I got my DS the ybike glider for Christmas, he will be 2.5 then. The ybike got better reviews than the minikick on Amazon. It only comes in green or pink though...I got mine for a great price with the 30% off promotion going on with YoYo.com and Afterschool.com You have to be a first time customer to get the 30% off. It was shipped in 2 days too!

Clarity
11-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I agree with the mini/maxi kick suggestion! I would most likely buy the maxi for a 3 year old. I got my 4 year old a maxi kick. My two year old prefers his brother's maxi kick to the mini that he got. The handle on the maxi telescopes up, while the mini does not. Also, the wider platform makes it easier to ride. Lastly, the difference in weight limit is huge. Mini kick goes up to 45 lbs, maxi goes up to 120 lbs.

This. I wouldn't bother with the Mini-Kick. With the Maxi's telescoping handlebar at the shortest height, it is even with the fixed height of the Mini-Kick. The footbase is a smidge wider on the Maxi which might get in the way of a child with shorter legs but I don't think it's too big of a problem. It doesn't bother my nephews or my dd2. Plus, I think there is more room for her feet one the Maxi and as a result feels more comfortable on the Maxi. I wish I hadn't wasted the $$ on the Mini and had just gotten two Maxi's when I bought them.

Neatfreak
11-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Definitely the Maxi-Kick!

maybeebaby08
11-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Agree with the Maxi Kick, DD1 got it at 2.5 & has had no problem riding it. 2 years later still the most used present, and in great shape. Worth every penny.

roseyloxs
11-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Agree that mini/maxi is the way to go. We got the mini for our then 3 year old ds. Two years later he got a maxi for his 5th birthday. The mini was then handed down to his 3 year old sister. DS still chooses to ride the mini about half the time. I think its a bit lighter but I have never asked him why he prefers the mini (the maxi is in his favorite color, the mini is not).

So if you have kids that you can pass the mini down to then I don't think its a bad purchase. I certainly don't regret it. HTH.

ahisma
11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Another vote for the mini. Both of my boys got a mini when they were about 3 and were able to quickly it very adeptly. When DS1 was 5.5 yo he moved to a Maxi. DS2 is 4 and is still on the Mini.

Because the Mini is lighter they can control it better. DS2 is able to ride the Maxi at 4yo, but not in the same way. When he rides the Mini he clearly has full control over it and can maneuver it very well - we ride through a nearby college campus and people literally stop to point at him and watch him, he's a scooter master on that thing - hills, tight turns, riding it "flamingo style", etc. With the Maxi he can scooter for transport but cannot maneuver it nearly as well.

I do see the utility of starting with the Maxi but there is no way that they would have had the same experience starting with it.

marymoo86
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I got the maxi for DD's 2nd birthday. She's 35" and it is the perfect height at the lowest position. The board isn't too wide and actually gives her a bit more stability. If there was a 2nd baby that could get use out of the mini I would have considered going that route but just didn't make sense financially to have to shell out for both.

CharlotteMommy
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the Mini and Maxi scooters are a big favorite on this board. Just checked them out online -- holy $$$$!! Do these things ever go on sale?

KrystalS
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
If you go with the Maxi, the code TOOBIGFORMINI gives you 30% off.

CharlotteMommy
11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
If you go with the Maxi, the code TOOBIGFORMINI gives you 30% off.

Thanks for the code. Which website?

Jai
11-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the code. Which website?

http://www.kickboardusa.com/

nabigus
11-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Mini/Maxi: Best kid purchase to date, hands down. Ds rides it all the time. He wore out two sets of wheels on the mini, and has been through a set of back wheels on the Maxi. (It's very sturdy and durable, and the wheels are replaceable.) Thumbs up.