PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Radio City Music Hall

ECMom
11-08-2012, 12:20 PM
We have tickets to see the Christmas Spectacular (thx Groupon!) and I am trying to figure out the best way to get there. Last time we went to NYC was pre-kids & we flew. We live in MD now so driving is doable. Does anyone have suggestions on where to park if we drive? Would a better alternative be to drive to PA or NJ & take a train? Suggestions on which city/where to park/train station to do so. We'll be going on a Monday.

Jupiter
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
In terms of driving to NYC, there are many parking lots where you pay like $20 and there is an attendant. You can usually drive around a bit and find one relatively close. As for a twain I would go to DC unless Philly is closer and take Amtrak to penn station. But from there you are either walking or asking a cab/subway.

If you are planning to see Rockefeller center or shop I night take the train, it's just easier to take a cab to penn and then rest. If you are only doing the show I'd drive.

ECMom
11-08-2012, 02:17 PM
In terms of driving to NYC, there are many parking lots where you pay like $20 and there is an attendant. You can usually drive around a bit and find one relatively close. As for a twain I would go to DC unless Philly is closer and take Amtrak to penn station. But from there you are either walking or asking a cab/subway.

If you are planning to see Rockefeller center or shop I night take the train, it's just easier to take a cab to penn and then rest. If you are only doing the show I'd drive.

We were planning to spend time in Rockefeller center as well. Amtrak from DC/Baltimore is ~$600 so it's cost prohibitive. Was hoping to use regional PA/NJ trains vs. Amtrak.

Mikey0709
11-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm in philly and last year we drove. I will try to find out the address of the garage we used - but it was pretty much as soon as we got into the city (easy in/out) and everything from there was walkable! It may be $20 for the tunnel and $25 to park - but i would totally drive again compared to the cost of train! (especially if you have quite a few of you or kids.

Another option is mega-bus - - which runs pretty cheap into NYC and the bus depot is easy to navigate and centrally located to walk everywhere.

I just like the option of being on my own time schedule - - which you can do when you have your own car!

candaceb
11-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Ever since we added DS to the equation, we drive when we go into the City. I usually look on Icon parking web site for the area where we want to park and then print out a coupon. Check the coupon limitations carefully though - some are only good on weekdays, some only until 5:00, etc.

here is the section for midtown west:
http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/neighborhood/midtown-west-parking/

KLD313
11-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I would drive. I live an hour outside of the city and could easily take the train but still prefer to drive. You can always find a garage to park in.

jerseygirl
11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Ha..I live 30 minutes from NYC and I drive in all the time. Its just easier for us logistically and financially when you factor in cost of tickets for bus/train, schedules, etc vs gas, parking, and tolls.

A

LD92599
11-08-2012, 11:31 PM
There's still alot of train issues and mass transit due to sandy. Drive in or drive and take the ferry.

ECMom
11-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses & link to the parking garages. I've found several garages in the area. Guess I'll take directions to serveral in case we find them full. Just never driven in NYC - Boston & DC the only large cities - so a little nervous about that. I couldn't check the fares/schedules for NJ rail due Sandy outages.

candaceb
11-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the responses & link to the parking garages. I've found several garages in the area. Guess I'll take directions to serveral in case we find them full. Just never driven in NYC - Boston & DC the only large cities - so a little nervous about that. I couldn't check the fares/schedules for NJ rail due Sandy outages.

Don't be afraid of the driving - it is definitely easier than Boston (I've never driven in DC) because the streets are straight! The one-ways can get problematic, but we usually plug the address of the garage into GPS and go straight there - we come in on the Henry Hudson Parkway and take that down to whatever street is closest to where we need to go and then cut across, so there isn't that much actual city driving when going directly to a garage.

jenfromnj
11-09-2012, 12:31 AM
There's still alot of train issues and mass transit due to sandy. Drive in or drive and take the ferry.

The ferry a good suggestion, as well, if you don't want to drive into Manhattan. If you park at the Weehawken ferry terminal, you can take the ferry across the river, and there are various shuttle buses that take you to different places, including right near Radio City.

Driving in the city really isn't so bad, though. The main issue during the holidays will be traffic, things get very crowded from Thanksgiving week through the end of the year in that area. Lots of fun things to do and see right in the area, as well--the big tree at Rockefeller Center (if you'll be going in December), FAO and the huge TRU, all the department store windows all decorated. It's a crazy but fun time to be in NYC.

(I also feel like there is a "practice, practice, practice" joke in there somewhere, but it's too far past my bedtime to make it work! ;))

Cam&Clay
11-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Did anybody else think the answer to this question was "practice, practice, practice?"

Cam&Clay
11-09-2012, 12:39 AM
The ferry a good suggestion, as well, if you don't want to drive into Manhattan. If you park at the Weehawken ferry terminal, you can take the ferry across the river, and there are various shuttle buses that take you to different places, including right near Radio City.

Driving in the city really isn't so bad, though. The main issue during the holidays will be traffic, things get very crowded from Thanksgiving week through the end of the year in that area. Lots of fun things to do and see right in the area, as well--the big tree at Rockefeller Center (if you'll be going in December), FAO and the huge TRU, all the department store windows all decorated. It's a crazy but fun time to be in NYC.

(I also feel like there is a "practice, practice, practice" joke in there somewhere, but it's too far past my bedtime to make it work! ;))

:jammin: Great minds!

jenfromnj
11-09-2012, 12:46 AM
:jammin: Great minds!

:wink2: