PDA

View Full Version : Hysteroscopy??

Piglet
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I am not sure if you recall my IUD drama, but needless to say, it is 6 months overdue to be removed, happy as can be, nestled somewhere in my tilted uterus and is not planning to move out anytime soon (watch, if I get PG, the baby will probably be a month overdue and then will grow up to be the slobby 40 year that won't move out of his parents' basement either).

I finally (after being on a 6 month wait list) had an appointment with the gyno last week and she was unable to get it out with whatever tools she had at her disposal (good times). We don't have ultrasound in the gyno's office here in Canada so I have no clue if it is intact or even there (yes, we love our medical system... http://i1.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif ). I had an US done a while back and it showed the IUD was in place, but no strings are visible. The gyno was relying on that information to book me in for another attempt at removal with some sort of surgery required.

I just got a call from the gyno office that they are able to book me in for a hysteroscopy November 26 (local anaesthetic) or a D&C March 27 (general anaesthetic). The hysteroscopy sounds like the better plan, but I am freaking right out that 1) they will still not get the IUD out and 2) IT WILL HURT!!!!

Has anyone BTDT with a hysteroscopy with local anaesthetic? Seriously freaking out http://i1.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/blink.gif

bostonsmama
11-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Haha...Americans should learn a little from your post about socialized medicine, but as per your question, I don't think you'll have a problem with your hysteroscopy. It's just a tiny lighted cam they'll insert through the cervix to view the IUD's orientation, then possibly slip itty bitty tweezers through that scope (or another tube/scope) to pull the IUD out.

I've had a few procedures that were done without any anesthetic, an HSG where they fill the uterus with fluid and take x-rays, and a saline sonogram, where they fill the uterus (through the cervix) with fluid (from a syringe with a catheter tip) and do ultrasound. The latter was much less painful. I find that the closer to your period, the more likely you are to be tender. The closer to ovulation, the more likely your cervix is to be open anyways (for fertilization) and less uncomfortable. You can ask your practicioner about taking ibuprofen ahead of time to reduce cramping afterward. I would go with the November hysteroscopy.

Unless the IUD has grown into your uterine wall, they won't need to do a D&C, either way they'd find it out during the hysteroscopy. Also, there are no nerve endings INSIDE the uterus. When you cramp & have pain (labor, menstruation), it's usually irritation of the peritoneal sac, etc that causes it. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it hurting, although I've never had an IUD removed. I have had 3 D&Cs, though, and you just have normal period-like cramping from some bleeding and soreness from vaginal & cervical manipulation.

Piglet
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Haha...Americans should learn a little from your post about socialized medicine

You can say that again! Well one could argue around here that you get what you pay for... ;) The good news is that at least I am not on a ridiculously long wait list anymore, so I should at least see an end to this saga soon enough. DH was seriously telling me to book something in the US and just pay for it out of pocket (though I am sure it woul dhave cost a fortune). I shouldn't be so negative about it, since the US system is quite broken as well, but these past 6 months have been quite trying and I nearly lost it when they told me the earliest they could get me in for minor surgery was March 27.