PDA

View Full Version : Baby shower games - Ideas needed

BabbyO
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Give me your best baby shower games for people who DON'T like doing shower games.

My family generally doesn't like doing the game thing...but I know SIL's does...and it is a shower for her. So I want to do a couple games that all will enjoy.

No string around the belly to guess mama's size.

I'm thinking about doing the game where you name the candy bars based on the clues: So Baby laughs = Snickers; Twin boys = Mike & Ike, etc

Also thought about the game where you name the baby animals. Snakes = Snaklings; Whale = Calf, etc

Would love some other ideas!

TIA!

Let me know your favorite prize/gift, too! :)

lizzywednesday
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
We did the safety-pin game and gift bingo.

The "safety pin game" is a kind of icebreaker. Each guest was given a small baggie with 5 safety pins in it and told the "rules." We made it super-simple - you cannot say the word "baby" or else you will lose 1 safety pin to another guest who hears you say it. (You can have as many or as few "forbidden" words as you like.)

To keep it from overshadowing other parts of the party, at the end of a specified time limit (I think I only did this from arrival 'til the start of gift-opening) whoever has the most safety pins wins the game. IIRC, I also gave a prize to whoever had the least pins.

If safety pins freak you out, you can also play this with stickers.

We also gave away the centerpieces at my sister's shower by putting stickers with my sister's birthday, her boyfriend's birthday, my mom's birthday, my sister's "MIL's" birthday and the due-date for my sister's baby on the bottoms. Whoever had the birthday closest to each date got to take home the centerpiece.

Since I live near a Lenox china outlet, I found several small lamb figurines and mugs to give away as prizes. Because it was also during one of their "warehouse sales", I managed to spend no more than $30 on them.

flashy09
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Things at my shower...

1. Blind taste test of baby foods. Whoever guessed the most correctly won.

2. Had a contest who could spit a pacifier the farthest

3. No saying "baby" allowed....person (or people) win a door prize who win (very hard! Everyone was knocked out pretty shortly)

Will try to remember some more!

Momit
11-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I didn't want games at my shower either. My friend found one that was baby trivia (included some baby animal names, how many diapers does a baby use in his/her first year etc.) It was pretty fun.

candaceb
11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
The only shower game I like I'd baby shower bingo because it makes the gift opening more fun. Guests fill out their bingo card with gifts they think will be opened, and then mark them off as they are actually opened.

edurnemk
11-09-2012, 12:59 AM
I just attended a baby shower, aside from the guessing the mom's belly size, we also filled several baby bottles (we all pitched in with a few Avent bottles from our older kids) with lemonade and we all had to drink it, whoever emptied the bottle first wins. It's not as easy as it sounds, sucking a few ounces of liquid from a baby bottle, particularly if you use #1 nipples!

I've also done the blind baby food tasting, trivia, changing diapers on baby dolls or dressing them (whoever finishes first wins)

american_mama
11-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Not at all a traditional game, but I had a non-traditional baby shower where all the attendees already had two or more kids. Everyone wrote down a name they considered naming one of their children, but had to reject for some reason (clashed with last name, etc.) Then the rest of the group had to guess who had the rejected name. Then the original person would explain why the name was a no-go.

It was pretty fun and very nostalgic for the attendees to remember their own pregnant days (one of my goals of the shower). Even my MIL said something about DH's name that neither he nor I ever knew.

We did this with about 9 or 10 guests. You could also modify it for someone without kids, if they pick a name they like but don't think they could actually ever use.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
11-09-2012, 01:44 AM
I've done a baby Price is Right game. You get a bunch of random baby items (baby food, small pack of newborn diapers, diaper cream, baby tylenol, pacifiers, small infant toys, etc, etc) and tally up the actual cost of them. Then you let each guest take a guess at how much the total cost of the items was. Whoever is closest without going over, wins! It helps if you make sheets for each guest with the list of items and let them guess the prices individually and then total them. We went over the items' costs one at a time so that people could see where they were close or waaay off. Was so funny when friends with much older kids or no kids at all had no clue on what that stuff costs. As a bonus, the mom-to-be gets to take all the items used in the game home.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

sunshine873
11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
The only shower game I like I'd baby shower bingo because it makes the gift opening more fun. Guests fill out their bingo card with gifts they think will be opened, and then mark them off as they are actually opened.

This is a must! After the first 2 gifts, everyone other than the mom and her mom tends to start zoning out, having side conversations, etc. this keeps people watching, involved and entertained all the way through. Plus, it's not your typical cutesy game. It just makes something that's going to be part of the shower anyway more fun. A great option for the no-game crowd. :)

jjordan
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I agree that baby shower bingo is a good game for shower game haters. :) ESPECIALLY for a big shower where the gift-opening goes on and on...