PDA

View Full Version : To the lady at the orthopedist's office

KpbS
11-08-2012, 10:13 PM
who gave me the "shame on you, mommy" look for not knowing my child's current height, ffffbbttt! If you only had any idea how many other things I have on my mind....like DS2's broken wrist and about a thousand other things.

Melaine
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
What the heck? Who knows that stuff all the time off the top of their head??

LMPC
11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
For the love of pete!! Who knows *that*?!?!

123LuckyMom
11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Oh, please!!! I don't know my son's current height. The only reason I know his weight is because I had been weighing him frequently as he approached the RF limits for his seat. Get a life, judgemental lady!

belovedgandp
11-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Dude, I have to pause to give my own height and it has been the same for 25 years now.

So many other things in our brains than time to worry about that.

sste
11-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Um, I referred to my son once as "DS" in public! Waaaay too much time spent here and brain increasingly fried. Height? I don't know either kids exact height it is a moving target.

DrSally
11-09-2012, 12:54 AM
For the love of pete!! Who knows *that*?!?!

:yeahthat: she must not have children.

eagle
11-09-2012, 02:14 AM
she doesnt have kids. i have no clue how tall my kid is. two feet? three feet? hes short, thats all i know.

hillview
11-09-2012, 08:24 AM
wow crazy, no idea of kid's height

wellyes
11-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I know DD is tall enough to get into that IKEA kid area with the ball pit, does that count?

KrisM
11-09-2012, 09:12 AM
This strikes me as odd. If the kid is there, I could look and approximate within an inch or so how tall he is.

DietCokeLover
11-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Oh, your poor DS. Is he ok?

And I have no idea how tall my dc are! I measure them right before asking a carseat question.

doberbrat
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
This strikes me as odd. If the kid is there, I could look and approximate within an inch or so how tall he is.

I cant even do that! I know dd1's height b/c I just measured her a couple of days ago. And I know dd2 is >36in tall b/c thats how long her changing table is and she overhangs it. :rotflmao:

The funniest thing is when I try to make a drs appt for dd2 and they ask me her birthdate. Um.... 2010? 2009? I forget. :hysterical:

roseyloxs
11-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Ha. I can't remember what my child's height is after leaving a check-up. I had no idea that made me a bad mother. Silly me, I was just worried about keeping them well fed, happy, and teaching them to be responsible and kind human beings.

roseyloxs
11-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Ha. I can't remember what my child's height is after leaving a check-up. I had no idea that made me a bad mother. Silly me, I was just worried about keeping them well fed, happy, and teaching them to be responsible and kind human beings.

glbb35
11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I guess I am a bad mom too! I have no ideas of my children's heights and sometimes their weights! It isn't like I am weighing them or measuring how tall they are every day.

I agree she must not be a parent or just is just having a really bad day. Heck, I got asked my latest height and weight (prior to getting on the scale at the docs office) and I didn't have a clue. I stopped weighing myself it was just too sad :) Turns out after she checked both, my weight is of course higher than imagined and I have shrunk and inch! I am going downhill! Ahh- now I am going to deliberately forget those measurements! :)

You are not a bad parent, just a regular parent. Good luck with your child, I hope they get back to feeling 100% soon!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 7/11

arivecchi
11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
What?! I only knew DS1's weight by heart during his first year - you know - newbie parent excitement. ;) I would be happy to be within the general ballpark at this point! What a rude person!

ladysoapmaker
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Not only do I not know my kids heights and weights, I don't know their clothes sizes. And tis the season for me to be asked.

Jen

SummerBaby
11-09-2012, 07:43 PM
My DD just had her well visit 2 weeks ago and I can't remember how tall she was!

KrisM
11-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I can promise it wasn't me at your appointment :). But, I know my kids are 40-41", 46-47", and 52-53". They're about 40, 50 and 60 lbs. They're 4T, 6X, and 8 in pants. I guess I'm the freak and maybe that lady at your appointment :)

karstmama
11-11-2012, 05:04 PM
i only know because we had a dr appt week before last...and while ds didn't gain any weight at all for the past year or so, he's grown to 12th percentile!!

zukeypur
11-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Really? i have no idea how tall any of my kids are. the only thing I know is that DD1 is over 48 and DD2 is under 48 but over 36. The only reason I know that is because we went to an amusement park this summer and we live close to six flags. you have to be 48 to ride the good rides. :)

OKKiddo
11-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I know DD is tall enough to get into that IKEA kid area with the ball pit, does that count?

Exactly! I only know my kids heights in relation to required height for rides or play areas (as in, I know that the oldest two are definitely 42" or taller and the youngest is under 3 ft).

ahisma
11-11-2012, 11:40 PM
who gave me the "shame on you, mommy" look for not knowing my child's current height, ffffbbttt! If you only had any idea how many other things I have on my mind....like DS2's broken wrist and about a thousand other things.

I don't know ANY of my kids' heights. Or weights. In fact, DS2 was at the hospital this weekend, after weighed / measured being at the ped's on Friday. I still didn't know his stats and had barely had 24 hours to forget.

It's just not on my radar. It's not that I don't care, but I have 983,829 things going on. They're growing. None of them are on the growth chart, but the ped is not worried. They eat well. They're healthy and active. THAT is what I need to know, not the numbers:)

Globetrotter
11-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I get tense when they start to ask me these difficult questions :tongue5:

I always end up asking them for their weight as they both enjoy weighing themselves. height would be an approximation!

I am terrified that one day I will forget one of our birthdays during check-in!

kijip
11-12-2012, 04:12 AM
I can promise it wasn't me at your appointment :). But, I know my kids are 40-41", 46-47", and 52-53". They're about 40, 50 and 60 lbs. They're 4T, 6X, and 8 in pants. I guess I'm the freak and maybe that lady at your appointment :)

IIRC, you were an engineer? I assume you have strong spatial reasoning skills? I am not an engineer, but I have good spatial skills and always excelled in physics and math. I can usually tell you how big a room is +\- a touch or tell you immediately if a pair of used unmarked pants will be the right length. So I get knowing but my husband, who not so inclined, would be hard pressed to recall or accurately guess the height of pretty much anyone with any accuracy.

niccig
11-12-2012, 04:15 AM
I am terrified that one day I will forget one of our birthdays during check-in!

My mother would mix up our birthdays. She would have the day of one, month of the 2nd and year of the 3rd. Granted she had 3 kids under 4 years of age, . Finally she had us say our own birthday when asked.