PDA

View Full Version : of course...

Melaine
11-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Tomorrow is the girls' first ever field trip and it is to a FARM no less. Like the coolest place they could ever imagine! They have been so excited.

DD2 just woke up with croup. They are going to be so upset not to go. It is going to be ugly.

crl
11-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Oh no!

:grouphug:

Catherine

ljackson
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
AFAIR I didn't have to keep DC out of school because of croup. Maybe you could check with your school or ped.

Ceepa
11-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry they're going to miss it. Can you guys go another time as a family?

And I would definitely NOT consider sending them.

AngelaS
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't keep them home for croup either.

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah, we were allowed at school too. On a field trip, they won't be sharing toys and won't be close to each other like at school either.

cuca_
11-09-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm so sorry! I would not take them. I think you are making the right call, Croup is a virus, and therefore contagious.

gatorsmom
11-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Our school says if they don't have a fever, send them to school. Chacha has a croup-y cough most of the winter with no fever. Unless he is coughing so much that he is disturbing others or can't study, I send him

glbb35
11-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't sent a child with croup, especially when it is new to school even for a long awaited field trip. IT isn't fair to anyone else to possibly get sick and your poor child will feel miserable all day and that just isn't fun.

Our school too says if you have a fever you stay home and if you have a fever on Monday, you stay home on Tuesday as well. Hopefully you can make up the field trip some other time. Two years ago DS had to miss a field trip that was expensive as well b/c he woke up not feeling well. I didn't want to put the teacher or other parents in a position where they would have to worry about him or if he got worse that I would have to come in and get him. He was mad at me but it turned out alright. Another class as it turned out didn't have a bus come for them so they ended up assigning them to another day the next week. Turns out several kids who had missed their trip went with this one class and it was a great trip.

Good luck and I hope your little person will be feeling better soon!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 7/11

LMPC
11-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Bummer. Last time DD had croup, the ped said as long as she didn't have a fever (24 hrs) she could go to school, etc.

Melaine
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm waiting for a call back from the ped. I'm not convinced it is the croup virus as DD2 has asthma and tends to get croupy with a cold. She has only had typical cough/cold symptoms, no fever or sign of infection. She seems to feel better than yesterday. However, I am concerned it will get worse tonight so I called to ask if they would call in a steroid just in case. Which means, we will probably have to go in for a sick visit just to get the script.

FWIW, we are homeschooling so this field trip involves me taking them to the farm (and meeting up with all the other families). My girls are so standoffish I doubt they would expose anyone anyway, but it's still not something I would typically do...I guess it depends on how she is acting after lunch.

elephantmeg
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd go. Especially since you'll be there and can take them home if she gets worse! We don't isolate for croup at the hospital (and we isolate for EVERYTHING) so kids with croup are running around with the other kids.

Melaine
11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Ped. called back and said to treat as cold and she thinks it's unlikely she would have stridor due to her age (6). I think she sounded like she had stridor but maybe because she has asthma? I'm going to play it by ear for the afternoon.

ljackson
11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I think my ped told me that even if another child does catch the virus it would probably just manifest itself as a cold for that child, and that it is not particularly catching as croup, if that makes sense. I would go.

Maxlee
11-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Ped. called back and said to treat as cold and she thinks it's unlikely she would have stridor due to her age (6). I think she sounded like she had stridor but maybe because she has asthma? I'm going to play it by ear for the afternoon.

FYI my 6 1/2 year old DD had croup a few weeks ago and had strider and her lips were blue. We ended up at urgent care and they said they had a number of older kids recently with really bad croup

Hope she is feeling better!

baileygirl
11-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Hope she is feeling better. For what it is worth my son (almost 6) had croup last month (which he has never had). He had to have breathing treatments in office, steroids and had a very high temp.

Melaine
11-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks all....last night she slept great and just seems stuffy today. We ended up going to the farm and it was wonderful...I'm really glad we didn't miss it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Yay! I'm glad you had fun!