PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use cloth?

JenaW
11-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Back when I first started on this board in 2002 (yikes!) cloth was all the rage. I used primarily with our first and partially with our second. I stopped for multiple reasons when preg with #3 - high water/sewer costs, the smell, the added laundry. #3 was a 25 week preemie wjo had an extended NICU stay and come home with some medical issues, so we never went back. However, around that time I switched to a diva cup and cloth pads for my use. Fast forward a few years. We now have #6, who is 19 mos and are expecting #7. DS has had multiple issues with sposies and gets horrible rashes with anything other than pampers baby dry and still often gets rashes with them. We are now on a well and have a septic tank so high water costs are no longer an issue. I also have two w/d and do AT LEAST one load of laundry daily, so adding in a diaper load shouldn't be too crazy.

I still have a decent sized stash, tho I have no clue what is in there. I had some fuzzibunz, a few wool covers, some prefolds, and some other fleece lined aio's. I know with my mama cloth a lot has changed in 7 years. I've gone from flannel, to fleece, to velour, bamboo, and silk. Are there similar options for dipes? Anything else I should know? I've researched washing issues with the new machines. I have a super capacity TL Bravo and a smaller FL whirlpool duet sport. What about "storage" options while waiting to wash? Before I used a synthetic laundry bag, but the strong ammonia smell was one of my biggest issues. I plan on reading through the CD 101 post, but the first posts are dated back in 2005. Any current users?

kaharris83
11-09-2012, 08:42 AM
We have used cloth for DS1 since his very first diaper. We have used a variety of different types of diapers but we finally settled on a hybrid system. At home we use Flip diaper covers with cloth gDiaper inserts. On the go/overnight we use flushable/biodegradable inserts. We also use cloth wipes. Just some terry fabric I got from the fabric store, cut into squares, and stitched around. We used a bottle of distilled water with a few drops of castille soap on the wipes. For DS2 we will use gDiapers covers for the first few months, like we did with DS1. We also have quite a few all in ones I want to try again. They never fit DS1 quite right. We have Fuzzibunz and Bumgenius in those. We use 2 large Planetwise hanging wetbags to store the diapers and inserts while waiting to wash them. We have never had an issue with smell, and we have been using the same two bags for 2+ Years. We use a TL older washing machine.

brittone2
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
How is the elastic on your FBs? Mine was shot after a few years so we did replace some in between kids. I had some prefitteds made for DD (6 years ago!) and the woman who made those for me fixed elastic for me in a bunch of our old FBs. We also bought a few new ones since they were our stand buy nighttime dipes for all 3 kids.

I haven't CDd since DS2, but he's been potty trained for about 6-9 months now.

With DD and DS2 I liked mutts for newborns (muttaqin baby) although they are outgrown pretty quickly. With DS2, for our stash I picked up a few snappiable fitteds (...meh on those because the fabrics I had worked better pinned, and I don't like pinning) from Bagshot Row Bamboo, 2 Flips (loved the covers for DS2), a few velour goodmamas I scored at a local consignment shop at the time (liked these), and a few others that are escaping me...DS2 was a big baby and we had some 3 stage fitteds that were really bulky but fit him forever. Totally can't recall the WAHM.

queenmama
11-09-2012, 10:28 AM
We do, but we only have two kids, including our CD baby, so we do a lot less laundry. I'm sure you're an expert compared to me in that department, and like you said, it's just one extra load here and there.

I went through a whole bunch of WAHM fitteds before finding the ones that fit DD best. My favorites have been Bububebe, Dunk n Fluff, Orange Diaper Company, Muttaqin... We're converting the whole stash to ODC because I'm fed up with trying to match soakers to their various diapers!

She did wear NBs for over 3 months despite being a big baby! We haven't tried flats yet but I have a giant stack of bamboo terry squares from ODC ready for when I get brave enough (I'm waiting until DD starts solids, and so far she isn't interested in BLW!).

We use wool covers/leggings exclusively, though I did just buy two PUL covers (one Flip, one Swaddlebees Capri) for when she's wearing tights under her dresses.

Lara

hoodlims
11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I'd go through your stash and look at elastic and Velcro on them. Then I would strip them with blue Dawn and sun bleach t get out stains and bacteria. As for a diaper wet bag, I use a Blueberry wet bag and line my diaper pail with it, no stink issues here. I was every 3 days or so and always sun-dry. Good luck and have fun!

Tinochka
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I used cloth diapers on both kids since 6 months till PT (23, 27 months). I loved FB, but had some AIO in case if DH or MIL will be changing diapers. My first child had a horrible rash upfront when we started solids, we didn’t have any issues after we switched to CD. I tried BG, but I didn’t like velcro and cloth synthetic feeling, but I head they made some changes since. I washed them every other day. Some ppl don’t like stuffing pocket diapers, which didn’t bother me, because they were drying quicker than others. I didn’t like cleaning #2 from AIO. FB fit my kids very well.
While I think that the top load WM better, front load did the job too, I just added one drop of Dawn soap with Charlie detergent. I also changed the elastic on them.

daisymommy
11-09-2012, 07:11 PM
NAK
We do! Have with all 4 kids. Will post more later :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abh5e8
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
yes...we have used CD with 3 dc so far, and plan to with the next one. i'm still using the original bum genius OS pocket diapers i bought for dd (who is now almost 6). the elastic tabs are a bit weak, and i did buy some of the newer ones with snaps, but the old ones work fine. i also have some of the OLD fuzzibunz with the pointed tabs, those work fine too. my newborn prefolds have been through 3 babies, still look great. i have thirsties XS and S pul covers.

guess i'm not much help on whats new :) oh, but the new BG pockets with snaps are very nice.

for wet/dirty diapers, we have been blessed with an unfinshed - BIG- basement that hs the laundry, so i just toss all the diapers into the diaper basket at the bottom of the stairs. since its such a big space, the smell is never an issue. but, we are moving next week, and will not have that set up...still not sure what will do.

Jupiter
11-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I was thinking if I do this cd thing. I was thinking of either just throwing them in the washer until its full (it's next to the baby's room). Or a garbage can with a lid. Thoughts?

abh5e8
11-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I was thinking if I do this cd thing. I was thinking of either just throwing them in the washer until its full (it's next to the baby's room). Or a garbage can with a lid. Thoughts?

either would work...it will just be STRONG when you open the door or lid. :)

mmommy
11-09-2012, 11:20 PM
We use cloth. Mostly Flip covers with Flats. I don't have a drier, and this combo line dries really quickly.
I just keep the dirties in a wet bag/pail liner that hangs in our bathroom. No smell issues yet. My 3year olds night diapers can get crazy ammonia, so I spray those with a little diluted BacOut before I put them in the bag. No problems at all.

JenaW
11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
We use cloth. Mostly Flip covers with Flats. I don't have a drier, and this combo line dries really quickly.
I just keep the dirties in a wet bag/pail liner that hangs in our bathroom. No smell issues yet. My 3year olds night diapers can get crazy ammonia, so I spray those with a little diluted BacOut before I put them in the bag. No problems at all.

Can u tell me a bit about the Flips? I just googled briefly and I'm interested. I like that both the baby and my almost 2yo could potentially use the same. What do u use for flats? Will any prefold work?

mmommy
11-11-2012, 09:05 PM
The Flips are one sized shells made out of PUL. They're sold as "hybrids" with cloth or disposible insert options. We have used them with snappied flats or prefolds, trifolded prefolds, pad folded flats, and various other cloth options as well as with the Flip sposie and gDiaper sposie inserts. The rise snaps down, and I was able to start using them when DD2 was about 8/9 lbs, so pretty much right away. DD1, who is about 32 lbs wears one to sleep with a pad folded Hemp Babies flat and that gets her though the night.

I use mostly Swaddlebees flats, but really any flat or prefold would work. They also sell their own stay dry inserts which I liked. I just decided that the ease of washing flats is more my style, but pretty much anything (except a really bulky fitted) will fit under the Flip.
They're sold with either snap or Velcro closure. I like the snap, but DH prefers Velcro. They're both great. The tabs are a little stretchy, which is one of the unique things about them, and this helps you get a good fit.
They don't have gussets, and this tends to be something people either love (lack of bulk) or hate (risk of leaking, although I've never had a leak yet, even with EBF poo) about them.

edurnemk
11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
I have CD both kids, there's a ton of new options since DS (2008). With DS i had bumgenius 3.0. Pockets and Happy Heinny's. I got refresher kits to change the elastic and velcro on the BGs for DD, but they don't fit her so well. So I tried a bunch of new options for her (also 'cause I had no newborn diapers because with DS I started at 4 months): prefolds and covers, fitteds and covers, pockets and AIO/AI2. I'm really liking the Blueberry pockets and I'm head over heels in love with Tots Bots (both the Tini Fit and the Easy Fit). We just stopped using NB sizes about 3-4 weeks ago.

I'm using Allen's Naturally to wash since that's worked for DS's dipes, but I have a FL now. To store I use a Planetwise liner inside a Simplehuman plastic bin with a locking lid, and I sprinkle some baking soda and a few drops of lavender essential oil in it for odor control. I throw the liner inthe washer along with the diapers.

AnnieW625
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Can u tell me a bit about the Flips? I just googled briefly and I'm interested. I like that both the baby and my almost 2yo could potentially use the same. What do u use for flats? Will any prefold work?

I like the Flip system. We use the Flip covers and either the Flip brand prefolds or the organic Imagine prefolds from Nicki's Diapers. The only downside is that the Flip brand organic cotton inserts are $8 a piece, but they are essentially two sizes of diapers in one, a small one, and a large one for toddlers. I do love them, but it was more cost effective for me to buy the Imagine prefolds. They were $40 or for a large dozen. I am diapering a toddler though so I needed the bigger diaper. I am not sure what size Imagine prefold would work for a newborn. I actually wish I would have gotten the medium prefolds instead because the larges are a little long. One other advantage of the Flip cotton insert is that it is trimmer, but for almost 100% more in price than a regular prefold I am not sure it is worth it. The Flip system also has disposobale inserts (not flushable), which are nice to have on hand, but we don't use them much. They also have an insert called a stay dry insert which is cheaper, but we haven't tried it, just the disposable, and the organic cotton.

We also use Fuzzi Bunz one size, and the sized Bum Genius diapers (those are discontinued, but you can sometimes find them on diaperswappers.com, which is where I got mine).I have one Tots Bot diaper and I really really like it. If I were diapering a newborn I think I would use the Tiny Bots diapers. The Tots Bots are $20 or so a piece and I love the fit of it on my toddler, it was my diaper splurge (the only diaper I paid more than $15 for) so if I were having more kids I would definitely take a look at them.

We use the plastic trash can I got from the diaper service. I stick Renuzit stick ups on the top of the can. We use a Planet Wise liner and wash as well.

I usually wash the diapers with Charlie's soap and pre treat all non cotton diaper surfaces with Bio Kleen Bac Out. Every so often I will wash the prefolds with All Free or Costco Free detergent. I will also regurly bleach those. I will bleach the other diapers about once a month. I followed the basic stripping instructions on Pin Stripes and Polka Dots or Diaper Swappers; I can't remember.

jam224
11-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I still have a decent sized stash, tho I have no clue what is in there. I had some fuzzibunz, a few wool covers, some prefolds, and some other fleece lined aio's. I know with my mama cloth a lot has changed in 7 years. I've gone from flannel, to fleece, to velour, bamboo, and silk. Are there similar options for dipes? Anything else I should know? I've researched washing issues with the new machines. I have a super capacity TL Bravo and a smaller FL whirlpool duet sport. What about "storage" options while waiting to wash? Before I used a synthetic laundry bag, but the strong ammonia smell was one of my biggest issues. I plan on reading through the CD 101 post, but the first posts are dated back in 2005. Any current users?

I've cloth diapered DD since she was 12 weeks old. We use FuzziBunz OS exclusively, but I have the old style ones that were made in China, not Turkey. I had to have a couple of them replaced due to delamination, so I do have a couple of their new Elite diapers, and unfortunately, I don't love them as much as my China ones. They're more trim, the fleece has pilled more, and the snaps are a lot tougher. If I had to add more to my stash today, I would look into Charlie Banana because they seem to be similar to the old style FB. I have to praise FuzziBunz for their amazing lifetime warranty though. They're awesome in that respect.

I have a front-loading LG Tromm and LOVE it for washing diapers! I use 1 Tablespoon of Rockin' Green and wash my diapers on the Cotton/Normal setting with hot wash & cold rinse plus three additional options: pre-wash, extra rinse, and water plus. The whole cycle takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Every once in a while (about once every 2 weeks), I’ll wash the diapers on the Sanitary option, which uses extra hot water, to combat ammonia build-up (that cycle is much longer, at about 2 hours).

As for drying, I line dry the diapers using two of these awesome hangers from IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80189663/) and throw the microfiber inserts into the dryer for 50 minutes on low with 7 wool dryer balls.

For storage of dirty diapers, I use the FuzziBunz diaper pail (http://www.diapers.com/p/fuzzibunz-hanging-diaper-pail-white-67003), which I hang on the knob of her closet door. This diaper pail is SO SMART because I can unzip the bottom of it directly into my washer, so I don’t have to touch the dirty diapers again!

I love that with using CDs, we don't ever have to deal with diaper rash! On the rare occasion that we've used disposables during travel, I always use Earth Mama's Angel Baby Bottom Balm (http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/angel-baby/angel-baby-bottom-balm.html). It's also safe for cloth diapers and I love it!

JenaW
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much for all the helpful info. It doesn't seem like a ton of you started straight from the newborn period. I didn't either so I have next to nothing in the way if newborn-sized dipes. Did u wait bc it was "easier" or bc of sizing/leaking issues, or bc you hadn't decided to cloth yet? Most of my babes have been small with scrawny chicken legs and no-chub thighs (tho according to my ob, this current one seems big in comparison). I know I'll use sposies to get through the hospital and meconium phase but I was planning on starting right after that. But I also don't know what the gender of this baby is, so I'm stuck buying gender neutral stuff which is ok for some dipes, but I'd like some cute ones too. I guess I could look into some of the trial programs that were mentioned in the other thread like Jillian's Drawers. That would give me something to start with, as well as a way to try some new things. I have won a few dipes On ebay that I'm excited to try (a flip cover and some bum genius as well as some super cheap Chinese dipes) but these were all one-size so while they may work for my toddler, I doubt they'll work for my newborn, as none have ever been close to 8 lbs. I'm hesitant tho to buy a ton of newborn stuff if this babe is bigger and will outgrow it quickly anyways. It seems like in the past we've used newborn sized sposies for several months but often went through 12 a day!!

A few other maintenance q's. I don't remember ever "stripping" before. I'll google the blue dawn stripping someone mentioned. Is that basically to remove buildup? And a few of you mentioned bleaching -was that sun bleaching or do u really use liquid bleach on the dipes? I'm pretty sure I didn't have any special detergent in the past but on eBay it seems like a lot of people use Rockin Green. Also, we are a Boudroux's butt paste family but that stuff is so thick I'd imagine it's terrible for the dipes so I'll need to find a safe butt balm. I won a small wet/dry bag for using when out and I'm looking into ordering a large planet wise bag or something similar for home. So far Ive done well with eBay and CL. I also bought some pul at JoAnns and found an online tutorial to add a waterproof liner to training pants that I'm going to try with my 4yo who still needs a pull up at night and maybe start soon with my 19 mos old. I was shocked at the amt of make-ur-own diaper stuff there. If these work well, maybe I'll try sewing some dipes too. Maybe ;)

kaharris83
11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
We cloth diapered DS1 from his very first diaper. We used newborn gDiapers and Bumgenius XS AIOs. Then we moved to small gDiapers. The newborn diapers fit him for about a month. He was skinny, scrawny a little under 7 pounds at birth with chicken legs. He didn't fit the Flip covers until 5-6 months old. Once he fit those we started using them exclusively with gDiaper cloth inserts and gDiaper flushable inserts. I wash the inserts and diaper covers on a quick cold wash in my TL with Rockin Green. Then I do a follow up hot rinse. I hang the covers on the IKEA hangers a PP linked to and dry the inserts in the dryer. I've never had to strip my inserts and never had stink issues. I use Grandma Els diaper cream, but recently got Earth Mama Angel Baby to try. We very rarely, usually only when we are sick, get rash so it lasts forever.

edurnemk
11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Thank you so much for all the helpful info. It doesn't seem like a ton of you started straight from the newborn period. I didn't either so I have next to nothing in the way if newborn-sized dipes. Did u wait bc it was "easier" or bc of sizing/leaking issues, or bc you hadn't decided to cloth yet? Most of my babes have been small with scrawny chicken legs and no-chub thighs (tho according to my ob, this current one seems big in comparison). I know I'll use sposies to get through the hospital and meconium phase but I was planning on starting right after that. But I also don't know what the gender of this baby is, so I'm stuck buying gender neutral stuff which is ok for some dipes, but I'd like some cute ones too. I guess I could look into some of the trial programs that were mentioned in the other thread like Jillian's Drawers. That would give me something to start with, as well as a way to try some new things. I have won a few dipes On ebay that I'm excited to try (a flip cover and some bum genius as well as some super cheap Chinese dipes) but these were all one-size so while they may work for my toddler, I doubt they'll work for my newborn, as none have ever been close to 8 lbs. I'm hesitant tho to buy a ton of newborn stuff if this babe is bigger and will outgrow it quickly anyways. It seems like in the past we've used newborn sized sposies for several months but often went through 12 a day!!

A few other maintenance q's. I don't remember ever "stripping" before. I'll google the blue dawn stripping someone mentioned. Is that basically to remove buildup? And a few of you mentioned bleaching -was that sun bleaching or do u really use liquid bleach on the dipes? I'm pretty sure I didn't have any special detergent in the past but on eBay it seems like a lot of people use Rockin Green. Also, we are a Boudroux's butt paste family but that stuff is so thick I'd imagine it's terrible for the dipes so I'll need to find a safe butt balm. I won a small wet/dry bag for using when out and I'm looking into ordering a large planet wise bag or something similar for home. So far Ive done well with eBay and CL. I also bought some pul at JoAnns and found an online tutorial to add a waterproof liner to training pants that I'm going to try with my 4yo who still needs a pull up at night and maybe start soon with my 19 mos old. I was shocked at the amt of make-ur-own diaper stuff there. If these work well, maybe I'll try sewing some dipes too. Maybe ;)

With DS I hadn't decided on CD until after he was born, with DD we started when we got home from the hospital. I got a bunch of different newborn diapers for her to try before committing to one, there is no way a regular or small-sized newborn fits into a one-size diaper. We did prefolds (GMD and Imagine) with covers (Blueberry coveralls and Thirsties Duo), fitteds with cover (Kissaluvs size 0), pockets (Blueberry) AI2 (Tots Bots Tini Fit, Swadlebees Simplex) and AIO (Bumgenius XS and Little Joey's). DD is a peanut so not all of those fit right away (well, the little joeys did but I only had 4) so we had to use a combo of cloth and disposables. If I had to do it all over again I'd get all Blueberry pockets and Tot Bots Tini Fits, those were the one that fit her for the longest time. I like the Simplex but she took her time growing into them. The BG was too big for her slim legs, and once it fit she immediately outgrew the absorbency. The PF and cover were a good option, too. We started using one-size diapers at 3.5 months (about 12 lb).

Re: your other questions:
For stripping we use RLR Laundry Treatment (if you use Dawn DO NOT use it in your washer, it will ruin it, use the tub or something else).
For detergent, when we CD'd DS RnG was not available, I used Allen's Naturally and I love it. I've read RnG can ruin diapers in the long run, so I haven't tried it. A lot of people swear by regular Tide.
I've only ever used bleach when DS had a yeast infection.
For rashes we use California Baby diaper ointment since it's CD safe. If we need something stronger we use Triple Paste with a disposable liner or disposable diaper.
We use Planet Wise diaper liners in a garbage can with a locking lid.

HTH!

AnnieW625
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I swear by Butt Paste for diaper rash, but it stains polyester diapers pretty bad, so I got CA Baby one as it was readily available at Target and I needed it pronto, and I have been pleasantly surprised as I haven't really cared for many of the CA Baby products I had used prior.

If it helps any if I were a SAHM I would most likely do prefolds and a mix of Thirsties Duo Cover (not the duo diaper) and Flip covers for babies 2 months plus. The Bummis covers are awesome for newborns and smaller babies. Since I work outside the home full time I love having the option of an all in one diaper, all though for stuffable diapers the bum Genius 4.0 diapers are pretty great as are the Tots Bots diapers.

rachelndil
11-16-2012, 12:04 PM
We use cloth exclusively at home, but are required to use disposables at day care (3 days/week). I ordered 24 of the BumGenius Freetime with snaps before DD was born, and I LOVE them.

Wash with Country Save and use the double rinse cycle on my front loader, and 1/4 cup of bleach monthly (basically, following bumgenius instructions). Hang to dry on an over-the-door drying rack. One, very mild diaper rash in 6 months. I am tempted to just use our regular detergent (Costco clear he stuff), since she does not seem to be prone to diaper rash and we have not had any odor/stain issues at all. I don't have a local source for Country Save and had to order a huge amount at one time.

I've started using the Bumkins flushable liners (thrown away, not flushed) since starting solids. Never rinsed or dunked or sprayed - really, that just seems too gross for me. No stains or any complaints of any kind.

I'm actually on the boards trying to decide whether to travel with her bumgenius or ship a box of Costco disposables to my parents for the two holiday trips we will be making. I have a small car and her Vista takes up most of the hatchback. I prefer her cloth diapers, but they would take up a small duffel.

I highly recommend the BG Freetime!

rachelndil
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Forget to add: I use the PlanetWise Wet bags; I have 2, and just throw the dirty one in with the diapers. It hangs to dry as well. Love these, too. Also use their wet/dry bag to carry dirty CD in diaper bag.

I started with cloth wipes, and they were fine, but they didnt hang well (were stiff and wadded), so now I use Costco wipes.