PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diaper starter..

Jupiter
11-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Can anyone suggest a place to start cloth diapering? I don't know if I'll like it and don't want to spend a lot if it doesn't work out. By I thought I could register for some. And suggestions?

roseyloxs
11-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Do you want to register for a few different brands or do you want to use one of those trial programs that are out there now? You could also look up what cloth diapering services are available in your area. My cousin chose that route and really liked it.

I would register for a couple AIOs, a couple AI2s, a couple pockets, and a couple prefolds+shells. Check out diaperpin.com for reviews.

My favorite brand is gro-via. Some don't like the lower cut fit but they have always been great for my kids. I started with the AI2s and moved on to the AIOs as I got lazy. I had some bumgenius pockets as well. I found them bulky but used them as overnight diapers with great success. If you get some AI2 diapers from gro-via or another brand you can use those shells with a prefold to try out that cloth diapering style.

okinawama
11-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I think if you're completely unsure of what you like and what would be the best fit for you and your family, I'd go with one of the trial programs that are available.

Usually the trial includes various types and brands of diapers, and you pay a flat fee upon ordering, and then after the trial period is through, you return the diapers and get all but $10.00 of your money back. This way, you're able to try out various diapers for a period of time and really all it's costing you is 10 bucks!
http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10
this is the program I've head most about.

Jupiter
11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
You could also look up what cloth diapering services are available in your area.

There are no services around :thumbsdown:

Usually the trial includes various types and brands of diapers, and you pay a flat fee upon ordering, and then after the trial period is through, you return the diapers and get all but $10.00 of your money back. This way, you're able to try out various diapers for a period of time and really all it's costing you is 10 bucks!
http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10
this is the program I've head most about.

Cool, I will look into this.

lizzywednesday
11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't remember where exactly you are, but this shop caters to the Monmouth County area and can provide in-person consults & classes for CD-ing:

http://snootybootydiapers.3dcartstores.com/Local-Customers_ep_49-1.html

If you can get there, it'd be great, but I think you are in Atlantic County? I can try to find something/someone closer through the babywearing group I'm part of.

Jupiter
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
If you can get there, it'd be great, but I think you are in Atlantic County? I can try to find something/someone closer through the babywearing group I'm part of.

Yup. I'd love to know if you find something.

edurnemk
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Jillian's drawers (http://www.jilliansdrawers.com) trial program. They also have amazing CS and a lot of helpful tutorials on their website.

wellyes
11-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Tons of places do trials - shop around - it was invaluable for me. The only potential problem is getting to try out diapers that are much nicer than you're willing to shell out for..... like test driving a car you can't afford.

mmommy
11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
The trial programs are great. The most useful thing to me was talking to parents who CD and could tell me about what they use, what their laundry routine is like, what their kid is built like, etc. I thought I'd love one thing, but turns out I like something totally different because it fits DD2 better and washing it is easier. I found other people's experiences really helpful to hear. If you don't know anyone IRL, I'd recommend peeking around on Diaperswappers for a bit.

lizzywednesday
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Yup. I'd love to know if you find something.

This is the Cloth Diapering Moms of South Jersey's Facebook page; the mamas there should be able to help with in-person stuff. It's a closed group, so you need to join to view discussions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/clothdiaperingmomsofSJ/

Jupiter
11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
This is the Cloth Diapering Moms of South Jersey's Facebook page; the mamas there should be able to help with in-person stuff. It's a closed group, so you need to join to view discussions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/clothdiaperingmomsofSJ/

Thanks!

brittone2
11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
With my DS1, I had no plans to do cloth but he was sensitive to commercial wipes (gentle, newborn, unscented, etc.) I ended up starting with cloth wipes and thought they were soooooo much easier to use than sposie wipes. Way more effective. It got me over the initial idea of washing poopy things in my washer, and so I decided to try some prefolds and covers. I ended up really liking it and built my stash from there. Prefolds are not a big investment at all and make amazing burp cloths, mini changing pads, etc. so they are great to have even if it doesn't work out.

I do think trial programs are nice. I know the covers that I liked for DS1 did not work for DD at all, and the ones that I loved for her were the ones I hated on DS1. DS2 was able to wear most of the covers we had left. And DS1 and DD were the exact same weight and length at birth...but different covers fit their body types differently, etc.

I've helped a few friends locally...it is sooo much easier if someone shows you the different options (all in one vs. fitted plus cover vs. pocket dipe vs. prefold and a cover, for example). It makes more sense when you can see them clearly. Today at least there is more internet info and pictures of the options. Many friends would think AIOs sound great...just like a sposie. But then you can have downsides like they might take longer to dry, etc. (although today there are so many variations on all of the above options that that isn't always the case anymore with things like AIOs). So ITA that what you think you want to use may be different from what you like in reality. And then as baby grows, becomes mobile, etc. sometimes people find themselves moving toward a different system.

lizzywednesday
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
... So ITA that what you think you want to use may be different from what you like in reality. And then as baby grows, becomes mobile, etc. sometimes people find themselves moving toward a different system.

Absolutely agree!

We started with a dozen prefolds, a triple-pack of Snappis and two wool pull-on covers when my DD was 10 months old.

I have added ... two wool wrap covers, another dozen prefolds, a dozen doublers, four AIOs, a half-dozen fitteds and a pack of stay-dry fleece for the AIOs.

If we have another DC, I'm planning to add cloth wipes as well as a stash for newborn-sized butts. My DH may think I'm crazy for that, but he's not the one changing diapers and fighting rash after rash after rash ... frankly, I'm sick of the rashes.

Jupiter
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
My DH may think I'm crazy for that, but he's not the one changing diapers and fighting rash after rash after rash ... frankly, I'm sick of the rashes.

What are the diaper rashes from? I thought cloth diapers helped reduce rashes

edurnemk
11-12-2012, 02:18 PM

They do but some kids are sensitive to specific mateials. It's not common but some are allergic to fleece and other synthetic materials used in CDs. my DS was the opposite he got rashes from his organic cotton AIOs, because the dampness was too much for his sensitive skin (I changed him every 2 hours ormre often during the day but even so). So we switched to fleece pocket diapers and he did great.

I think in the PP's case the rashes are from the wipes (disposable) which is why she wants to use cloth wipes.

lizzywednesday
11-12-2012, 02:31 PM

I'm sorry - I wasn't exactly clear. We actually use disposables for the most part. I only use cloth at night.

My DD is allergic to most 'sposies, and they give her crazy rashes. So we've been fighting some kind of rash or another since she was in the hospital.

For our next kid, assuming we have a next kid, I fully intend on skipping all the 'sposie nonsense and going straight to cloth. Including wipes.

LizLemon
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Also, you can have issues of rashes from detergents and various washing methods. It's a bit like a science project at times. :)

Green Mountain Diapers has good quality prefolds, which we used for our newborn period. I thought they were a good and economical intro into cloth diapering. In my opinion, many newborn babies are too small too have a good fit from one-size diapers, even if they claim to fit to 7 or 8 lb. Kawaii makes an economical array of diapers, including some nice bamboo diapers and others that are very similar to BumGenius.

edurnemk
11-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Also, you can have issues of rashes from detergents and various washing methods. It's a bit like a science project at times. :)

Green Mountain Diapers has good quality prefolds, which we used for our newborn period. I thought they were a good and economical intro into cloth diapering. In my opinion, many newborn babies are too small too have a good fit from one-size diapers, even if they claim to fit to 7 or 8 lb. Kawaii makes an economical array of diapers, including some nice bamboo diapers and others that are very similar to BumGenius.

ITA, DD just started fiting in some one size diapers at 3.5 months, she's just over 12 lb, though she is a peanut. For the NB period we used a combination of GMD prefolds with covers and several brands of pockets and AIOs.

AnnieW625
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
With DD2 we did diaper service until she was 3 months old. I loved the service, but finally had to stop due to persistent yeast infections that started occurring around that time. I changed her every 2 hrs. during the day, but at night she was sleeping through the night from 10 pm to at least 7 am so I think that was aggravating the issue as well, but I think the culprit was probably also the detergent the service was using. We took a break for a year and started again using Fuzzi Bunz one size diapers (these were DD1's night time diapers) at night and they worked great so I bought some used Bum Genius sized diapers (they no longer make these, but you can find them used on diaper swappers.com, which is where I bought mine) and then we did it full time including at daycare till around May, now we just do them on the weekends (the daycare helpers were kind of resistant to them), and night.

We have had good luck with Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive (the dry max free ones only go to size 2), Seventh Generation (these run small so unless you have a tiny 6lb or do baby just start with size 1), Huggies Little Movers, and Costco diapers. DD2 got a rash from regular Pampers Swaddlers that have dry max in them. We never even tried Pampers Cruisers with her because DD1 back in 2007 reacted to the non dry max Cruisers they used to sell.