PDA

View Full Version : Super quick- good gluten free snacks to make or buy?

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2012, 09:57 AM
We just last night invited a couple over and she is eating GF. She can eat it, she doesn't have a known sensitivity so I feel ok cooking in my kitchen. I can easily go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I don't think I need a meal, just munchies. (If I did make a meal, I was thinking acorn squash soup and a salad with steak-ok?)

KpbS
11-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Your meal sounds good if you go that route or you could do chips and salsa, spinach dip, hummus, fruit, etc. For the dips most corn chips are GF and you could use some cut up veggies and GF crackers also.

SASM
11-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Your meal sounds fantastic to this paleo mama! Guacamole with cucumber "chips" and carrots with a little sunbutter are favorite snacks over here. We also like the creamy coconut tomato soup from Everyday Paleo. Another quick thing is Nigella's Thai Crumbled beef (or turkey) in lettuce wraps. Sorry no links...misbehaving iPod. Have fun!!!

ETA: Is she just GF or did she cut out other items as well? If paleo, corn, beans, sugar & dairy are out. When we are invited to a home I usually just mention gluten free, as the others are just inconveniences for the host but just asking. ;)

ETA...Here's the tomato soup...reprinting for me so thought I'd link it for you: http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/01/11/answering-questions-with-robb-andy-of-the-paleo-solution-and-a-recipe/
I use fire roasted tomatoes...yummy & quick!

BabbyO
11-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Hummus and veggies are always a favorite GF snack in our area...

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Ugh, she might be paleo but that was last month. She changes things up often. :). I'll double check!

AnnieW625
11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I would do Chex Muddy Buddies (http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=45860&CategoryId=342) using rice chex. If she eats them, great, if not then you have more to keep at home and eat for yourself!

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Annie, I just bought Chex yesterday to make those!

marymoo86
11-09-2012, 11:41 AM
If she is just GF/wheat free then Food Should Taste Good Tortilla chips are awesome. I love them with hummus or cheese. I get the big bag at Costco and they were just on special too.

For a sweet dip - you can take TJ's pumpkin butter mix with whipped cream cheese and serve with apples and GF ginger snaps.