PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Friendly film Saturday Nov. 10

larig
11-09-2012, 06:32 PM
At 10 am local time in AMC theaters around the country there will be screening of Wreck-It Ralph. (http://www.amctheatres.com/programs/sensory-friendly-films) A list of theaters participating is found at the link.

The program provides a special opportunity for families to enjoy their favorite films in a safe and accepting environment. The auditoriums dedicated to the program have their lights up, the sound turned down and audience members are invited to get up and dance, walk, shout or sing!

The idea for the program began with a request from a parent with an autistic child for a special screening at AMC Columbia Mall 14 in Columbia, MD. More than 300 children and parents attended the first screening.

We are thrilled to now offer the program at many locations nationwide — please see below for a complete list of participating theatres. As a leading theatrical exhibition company, we are so proud to be making a difference in the estimated 1.5 million Americans living with an autism spectrum disorder by offering families a chance to see a movie together — often for the very first time.

mackmama
11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow this is really cool - thanks for sharing.

larig
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM

no problem. Our OT turned us on to it. Next one is Dec 8 and is Rise of the Guardians. I don't know anything about the films, but sadly Sept 22 was finding nemo!! Wish I'd have known about it then.

hillview
11-09-2012, 07:09 PM
wow what a great idea!

jenfromnj
11-09-2012, 07:14 PM
We found this by accident over the summer and it's great! They didn't play any previews or commercials, kept the lights on a tiny bit, and the movie was not overwhelmingly loud as they can sometimes be.

elliput
11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
We don't have AMC theaters in my town, but on of the local theaters is now doing sensory friendly screenings also. I'm very excited to take the kids next weekend. :boogie:

bisous
11-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Cool idea. DS1 would have benefitted from this when he was littler!

alexsmommy
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for sharing - I'm passing it along to some parents who I know would love to take their DC to a movie.

Ceepa
11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I've seen movie theaters with these accommodations advertising in a couple different places we've lived. They always called them "family-friendly" as kids weren't expected to stay in their seat or perfectly quiet.

I wonder why it's being advertised as "sensory-friendly" instead. I think all young kids could benefit from this atmosphere.

elliput
11-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I've seen movie theaters with these accommodations advertising in a couple different places we've lived. They always called them "family-friendly" as kids weren't expected to stay in their seat or perfectly quiet.

I wonder why it's being advertised as "sensory-friendly" instead. I think all young kids could benefit from this atmosphere.
The target audience is children on the Autism spectrum, not just young kids. So there will be older kids with severe Autism who would normally not be attending a movie screening at all as it would be completely overwhelming.

TwoBees
11-09-2012, 10:44 PM

:yeahthat:

ECMom
11-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm proud to say I know that "parent with an autistic child" who got this program started!

TwoBees
11-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm proud to say I know that "parent with an autistic child" who got this program started!

:thumbsup:

larig
11-09-2012, 10:53 PM

That is AWESOME! :bowdown: Thank that parent for me!

larig
11-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I couldn't take DS today, because DH and I had plans to go out-of-town. BUT, my mom and dad took DS this morning. It was his first successful movie-viewing experience. DS loved it. I'm just thrilled about this.

Anyone else go?

Melaine
11-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Very cool!!