PDA

View Full Version : Scary! Almost had to use DD2's epipen today!

smiles33
11-10-2012, 12:21 AM
We were eating at a restaurant and DD2 ate some green beans tossed with sesame seeds and quinoa from DH's plate. Within a minute, she turned to me and said her lips hurt and I immediately saw that they were swollen with irregular edges and that red splotchy hives were appearing around her mouth and on her throat. I immediately pulled out her epipen (she has a known allergy to peanuts) and a Triaminic quick dissolve strip (which I *know* is not supposed to be offered to kids under 4 but DH bought them last year when we first learned of her peanut allergy).

DH read the instructions again on the strip and just said he'd give her 1/2 of a strip. Then he ran to the car for hydrocortisone cream and rubbed it all over her chin/throat, and around her mouth. Thankfully, the swelling immediately started to go down, the redness faded, and she wasn't scratching her throat as much. But I was still freaked out so we brought her to an urgent care facility and the doctor confirmed her lungs were fine, her airways clear, and that we were safe.

I reached out to our ped and found out that she would have advised giving the epipen right when the lips swelled and then called 911. DH and I talked about it afterward, as I would have just injected the epipen if DH hadn't said to give 1/2 the strip (I'm still relieved that he didn't overdose her since those strips really aren't supposed to be for kids under 4). He said he thought we should only use the epipen if it was clear she was having trouble breathing. Now it makes me think we need to be much more willing to use the epipen given how quickly these things move. DD2's reaction today was worse than the one she had with peanuts and the hostess assured me they do not use any peanut oil or peanut products at the restaurant. I did some quick googling and it seems sesame seed allergies are growing (and more prevalent in Europe and Canada than the US).

Thank goodness we had the quick dissolve strips. Sadly, it looks like both Benadryl and Triaminic discontinued their quick dissolve strips and ours expire in April 2013.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share our story for any other families whose kids have food allergies. I didn't know that you shouldn't wait until your DC is having trouble breathing to use the epipen!

zukeypur
11-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Whoa, close call! So glad she's ok! I hadn't heard about the sesame seed allergies, but I'll definitely pass that along to my SIL since my nephew as a peanut allergy.

There was a recent article in a pharmacy journal that said that expired drugs remain effective for years after their expiration dates. I would hang onto the strips if you still happen to have them in 2013.

bigsis
11-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Wow! I've never even thought of giving EpiPen for swollen lips due to an allergic reaction. Thanks for the heads up.

My 9yo DD had her first allergic reaction about 6 months ago. We thought it was due to the shrimp. She threw up a little bit and had Angelina Jolie lips. I didn't think much more of it, but obviously would not give her any shellfish after. The other day, she ate tilapia and again, threw up and swollen lips. So I guess it was the tilapia, which she also had the first time she had a reaction.

I just found out about the Triaminic quick dissolve strips and now it's discontinued? Grrrr!!!

Glad to hear your little one's okay :)

essnce629
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Poor thing! Glad you acted quickly and were able to prevent a more serious reaction.

I used to nanny for a little boy who had an anaphylactic allergy to dairy. I used to have to carry around an epipen with him, but thankfully never had to use it.

And I think sesame seed allergies must becoming more common. DS2's preschool, which is already nut-free, just became sesame-free as well because they now have a child there with a sesame allergy. No more bringing hummus to school for us!

KrisM
11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Very scary. I'm glad she reacted quickly and is recovered.

mytwosons
11-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Thankfully we've outgrown the allergies, but our ped allergist had instructed us to give the epi for any reaction neck and above because the reaction can get serious very quickly.

I'm glad your DD is ok!

smiles33
11-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks all for the support. I confess I can't even recall the original epipen instructions our doctor gave to us (except to "push hard" on the plunger so it goes through the clothing). Any reaction neck and above is a good rule to know about. We are going to get DD2 tested again for allergies to be safe.

megs4413
11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I started stockpiling the strips a while ago because they're so handy. Recently I discovered that there is a new option of a melt away Benadryl that works just as well. I got mine at target.

I'm glad your daughters okay. You can get a training device to help you relearn how to use the EpiPen . I'd ask your pharmacist or call your allergist about it. I have several and have used them to train my sons teachers and other caregivers.

smiles33
11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I started stockpiling the strips a while ago because they're so handy. Recently I discovered that there is a new option of a melt away Benadryl that works just as well. I got mine at target.

I'm glad your daughters okay. You can get a training device to help you relearn how to use the EpiPen . I'd ask your pharmacist or call your allergist about it. I have several and have used them to train my sons teachers and other caregivers.

Good to know about a new Benadryl melt away option, thanks!

We get the training devices with all the refills, so I know how to physically use it. I was trying to say that I didn't remember the rules re: WHEN to use it. My ped did not suggest we use it any time we saw a reaction above the neck, so I thought that was a good rule. It's MUCH more sensitive than what I assumed the rule was--hacking/coughing/breathing issues.

DrSally
11-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Very scary. So glad she's ok!

From what I've heard, is similar to what your ped said-- give epi at the first sign of lip/ mouth/ throat involvement b/c research shows people delay too long in giving epi, and at a certain point, it can be too late. So, sooner than later is the idea. Benadryl supposedly does not help w/ actual anaphalaxis, which thank goodness she was not experiencing.

For the epi, you're supposed to hold it in for 10 sec.

I was scared of sesame seeds too, since DS had a mustard allergy, which is also a seed. I avoided them for years, but intro them a few yeRs ago and he's fine. I would definitely avoid sesame seeds from now on, although the food item may have been contaminated with peanuts, it's hard to tell.

tribe pride
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Very scary. So glad she's ok!

From what I've heard, is similar to what your ped said-- give epi at the first sign of lip/ mouth/ throat involvement b/c research shows people delay too long in giving epi, and at a certain point, it can be too late. So, sooner than later is the idea. Benadryl supposedly does not help w/ actual anaphalaxis, which thank goodness she was not experiencing.

:yeahthat: This is what our allergist has told us as well. At first ingestion of an allergen, immediately give benadryl. If hives get severe, or at any involvement of lip/mouth/throat, administer epi pen.

DS1 is allergic to sesame (as well as all tree nuts, peanuts, milk, eggs, and shellfish). The difficulty with sesame is that it is not considered one of the top 8 allergens in the US, so the FDA doesn't require companies to include sesame on food labels. Some companies do by choice, but sesame can also just be included under terms like "natural flavors" or "tahini." So while sesame is easier for us to avoid than milk, because it isn't used as much in standard American cooking, it is harder to know whether a food contains sesame.

A PP was right that sesame allergy is more prevalent in Europe, and in the Middle East, too. In Israel, it is the third most common FA. From what I've read, researchers think it is more common there because diets in those countries include much more sesame, so consequently more people are exposed to it, and thus the # of reactions is higher. In the US, sesame is just not as common in "standard" American fare, so we have far fewer incidents of reaction. European countries and Canada consider sesame a major allergy, and require food companies to label for it. I'm hoping the US will follow suit as our diets become more "internationalized."

I'm so sorry about your DD's reaction, and glad that everything worked out!

MSWR0319
11-10-2012, 04:40 PM
So scary! I'm glad everything worked out. Do you have an action plan for your DD's Epi-pen? Ours says to Epi DS at basically anything more than a few hives. So in your situation, we would have epi'd. I'd have her tested for sesame if you haven't already. Our allergist had us withhold from sesame seeds until this last year, because he said a lot of kids with peanut allergies have a sesame allergy. Some thing aout the proteins being similar. He then tested DS this year and it was negative. I have yet to give them to him because it makes me nervous, but wanted to pass that along.