PDA

View Full Version : Holiday gift ideas for Parents/Grandparents/ILs- post yours here!

gatorsmom
11-10-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm just not sure which forum to put it in. I'd really like to start talking about gift ideas since Black Friday is coming soon! I save more money and shopping time when I'm well prepare, kwim?

I usually don't have too much trouble thinking of things for the kids. They provide AMPLE ideas. But I have a harder time with my ILs and DH. I think for my ILs this year I'm going to subscribe them to a wine club. There are some private vineyards that will any number of shipments of wine depending on the price you want to pay. My ILs are huge wine lovers. This is not a unique gift, however, since I got this for them a few years ago. :shrug:

As for DH, I have had some more ideas, particulary since we are building a new house. He wanted to put an ice maker in his garage but we could'nt find one that would be a good fit for us. So, I'm researching portable ice makers that he can plug in and use as needed. I've also ordered cordless headphones that would allow him to hear the TV while the rest of us are being noisy in the family room. This would prevent him from having to go in another room to watch TV alone. I'm also seriously considering getting him some outdoorsy clothes that are saturated with bug repellents to wear while he's doing yard work (our new house will be rather rural) to avoid ticks and mosquitoes.

I have no ideas for my aunt other than the usual gift cards to restaurants.

Anyone else thinking about gifts now?

Melbel
11-10-2012, 09:36 AM
I tend to get lost in the general threads and have trouble finding ideas that get buried with so many categories. I wonder if we could set up separate threads for:

DH/SO
DW/SO
Parents/Grandparents
Children - 10+
Children - 5-9
Children - 2-4
Children - Under 2

liz
11-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I like this idea! Separating by age group etc would be great, if possible. I have gotten so many ideas from the BBB over the years,
but I agree that some of those monster threads are overwhelming to go through.

Melbel
11-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Gatorsmom - do you want to change your title to cover the Parents/Grandparents?

I will be happy to set up the other threads. :)

gatorsmom
11-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Gatorsmom - do you want to change your title to cover the Parents/Grandparents?

I will be happy to set up the other threads. :)

Sure! Sounds like a good idea. I wasn't sure if these types of threads go in the lounge or "around the house." But if they need to move, that's something the mods can decide. :wavey:

liz
11-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Sure! Sounds like a good idea. I wasn't sure if these types of threads go in the lounge or "around the house." But if they need to move, that's something the mods can decide. :wavey:

It would be great to make these threads a sticky. I hope it stays in the lounge as there seems to be so much traffic in this forum- so hopefully there will be a lot of responses.

MamaMolly
11-10-2012, 02:02 PM
My ILs like wine, too. I found some really cool plastic wine glasses at the local fancy shmancy grocery. They are supposedly unbreakable and packable. FUN!

I was also thinking of getting them some of those Winecicles or Corkcicle or what ever they are. I missed out on them at the Gifting Grace sell out. Pout pout! ;) http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/corkcicle

inmypjs
11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I gave these to my parents and DH's parents. My kids and other grandkids in the family enjoy playing cards when they visit their grandparents, and these are great for the kids to use at their house.

http://www.amazon.com/Jobar-Playing-Card-Holders-Set/dp/B000V7P5FM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1352573746&sr=8-10&keywords=card+holders

mackmama
11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread, as I'd love some gifts ideas for our parents (ie the grandparents)!

cmo
11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
We gave this unusual bird house to both sets of parents last year, and it was well-received:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7E43
They have a couple other selections on their website, but this one is closest to the kind we got last year.

etwahl
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I give the same gift, every year, to all the grandparents - a shutterfly book full of pictures from the entire year. They Love it. That's really the only gift they want.