PDA

View Full Version : S/O: How soon before the holiday meal do your guests arrive?

bostonsmama
11-10-2012, 03:26 PM
At my mom's house, guests are usually already there in the house (staying--all 10 of them), so it's MY family that shows up around 10am to start cooking and prepping everything. My mom usually takes a backseat others' cooking abilities, but anyways. This year it's at our new home, and we have tons of room for them to scatter and wander. I'm so used to cooking with an audience, having lots of extra hands to complete menial tasks, etc. I've never just said, "Hey, I'm making dinner, show up a half hour before it's ready."

So, how soon should we ask guests to show up, especially if they are NOTORIOUS for being late, sometimes as much as 2 hours (I'm serious)? To me the challenge is having everything come out hot at the same time since it's only a sit-down dinner for 8 plus one kid. If they come over 30min before, I'm not going to want to ruin their meal with appetizers, so should I skip that?

If you do apps, how far in advance do you have company come? If you skip apps, when do you expect guests to arrive?

Also, I don't have a TV, so it's not like they would watch a football game while I finish last-minute prep.

Philly Mom
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
We always do a cocktail hour with cheese, crackers, vegetables and dip. Cocktail hour is 45 mins or less while people arrive.

hellokitty
11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I want guests there at least 30 min before we eat. Apps are served about an hr or more earlier if there are house guests or those who are there early. Our biggest issue is one of my cousins is a jerk and will show up six hrs late or sometimes not at all. My parents have finally accepted that if he's not there when we are supposed to start, then it's too bad. Sadly, this went on for yrs before my parents finally listened to our complaints that they have a sh*tty nephew.

fedoragirl
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
30 min. and we skip appetizers because kids are hungry. We do light cocktails for the adults and then, straight to dinner.

wellyes
11-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I would have them come 45 minutes early and offer apps. Don't decide for them if it's going to ruin their appetite, only try to be a good host, know what I mean?

I would have a "dinner is at 1" (or whenever), and do sit down within 10 minutes of that. Don't wait for the late people.

gatorsmom
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
My grandmother always said she would start to serve dinner when her punchbowl was empty. Her punchbowl was magic too, since it seemed to refill a couple times before dinner. :D. . Course, that was a different era. But generally I think people start getting restless if they have to wait more than 45 minute to an hour for a holiday meal. It's nice to have time to catch up and chitchat before hand.