PDA

View Full Version : How early did you successfully Ferberize?

123LuckyMom
11-11-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm losing it! DD slept great until 4 months. Then she was up every 2-3 hours until 7 months. For a couple of weeks now, she's been up nearly every hour, and I can't take it any more!!! She is teething, but I gave her a dose of ibuprofen last night in desperation (I had already asked the ped if I could) and no difference! I do often nurse her, because it's the quickest way to get her back to sleep, but she's just suckling, not eating. Sometimes she'll eat at about 4am, but I'd be thrilled if she'd just sleep through until 4! I'd wake happily to feed her! As time passes, it's getting harder and harder to get her to go back to sleep. The second she hits the mattress, she's up again! I'm sooooo tired that I'm impatient, so I don't wait long enough before trying to put her back down, and then she's up again! I've taken her into the bed with me-- same pattern. I'd rather she be in the crib, because at least when I get to sleep I can stretch out and lie on either side. I've been holding off Ferberizing because she's so young. We Ferberized DS at 9-10mos, and he did great and has been a good sleeper (with some intermittent issues) ever since. I just worry that DD is too young. What do you think? I know Ferber says 6 months is usually old enough, but I'm asking you guys for BTDT advice.

queenmama
11-11-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm not a Ferber kind of mama (I'm too big of a baby, to be honest!) but you truly get NO judgment coming from me, because I'm in the same boat and losing my mind along with my sleep. DD slept relatively well until the 4-month regression and now she thinks she has to nurse every 3 hours, including at night. Ugh!!!

I hope someone can offer you the help you need! Just wanted you to know you're not alone, and maybe if we end up in the loony bin we'll have adjoining rooms. ;)

Lara

Minnifer
11-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Well... I did it w/DS for going down at night at 6.5 months, out of necessity (long story, we had fallen into co-sleeping, but he was the kind of co-sleeper where I had to be lying next to him at.all.times or else he'd wake up, and it just became untenable). It worked, but it didn't go as smoothly as I would have wanted (I had night weaned my DD using a CIO method (more like Weissbluth's extinction) but much older (14 mos), and that went quickly/easily). With DS it took a while, over a week as I recall, and I had to be extremely consistent/diligent with the intervals, and DS was not the happiest camper during the process. If I could have waited until he was around 8 months, I think the added maturity would have helped and made it a smoother process. But he's been great at putting himself to sleep ever since, so I'm happy with how it worked out. Fwiw, I didn't night wean him until about a month ago so around 16 months, b/c I was ok w/night nursing as long as he would go back to sleep and sleep for several hours - for that I did extinction, and that went super fast and was easy.

Melaine
11-11-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm definitely considering it at this point (DS is 6.5 months). It's like 2 steps forward, 11 steps back for us! Like newborn waking, but not going back to sleep as well. We had one good night where he slept from 8-2 and then went back to sleep after feeding until 5 and I was praying that would continue but nope last night every 3 hours again and would not stay in his crib after midnight I had to put him in our bed out of desperation.

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2012, 09:32 AM
We did it with DD1 at 6 months. It took 3 days and worked like a charm. She is a great sleeper now, 2 years later.

TxCat
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
6 months - it took us 5 days, but we got there. I will say, DD has never been a good sleeper, and we may have to revisit Ferberizing again now that she's two. She typically wakes up anywhere from 1-3 times/night and we've usually gone in to find the paci, reassure her, etc. But now she wants us to sleep with her in the glider, take her into our bed, etc. I just don't think we can do it any longer. And I expect Ferberizing to be much tougher this time around. :(

Dr C
11-11-2012, 10:01 AM
~ 8 months with DS. Wish we'd done it sooner! Worked like a charm. At 6 he's still a FABULOUS sleeper.
Did more of a Weissbluth method--just shut the door and went downstairs and put on a loud movie. And I have to admit that DH did the dirty work on this one; I was working nights that week.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 11:04 AM
We were never successful.

AnnieW625
11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I didn't actually Ferberize my kids, but I asked my mom when DD1 was a few weeks old how long I should let the baby cry and she said no more than 10 minutes and then to start listening for different types of cries, "mad because I don't want to be here," "the tired, but I don't want to sleep cry," and the "I am in pain cry." For us it was mainly the first two cries I listened for and the first cry was usually just after they had eaten and so I knew they were no longer hungry. The "I am in pain" cry really didnt show up much until DD1 started teething, and then she would wake us up at night. For DD1 this type of sleep training worked well and I had her sleeping well by three months including consistently at night. With DD2 she had a hard time sleeping more than 90 minutes a day from about a month on due to reflux but she started sleeping through the night by seven weeks old. DD2 did not take more than a single 2 hr+ nap during the day (minus a car trip or being in her stroller) until she was about 8 months old.

Pre 2 months old we had great success with swaddling and for DD1 I liked the fleece Kiddopatumus blankets, and for DD2 I swore by The Miracle Blanket. We actually were able to use The Miracle Blanket with DD2 until she was about 3 months old.

crl
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I know zip about sleep training. I just wanted to mention that Motrin is more effective when it builds up in the blood stream. So if you think teething pain may be contributing to the sleep disruptions I would dose consistently throughout the day for maximum effectiveness.

Catherine

erosenst
11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
FWIW, most peds believe that by 12-13 pounds, and/or 4-6 months, babies can sleep through the night. (Initially, defined as 5+ hours, but growing to 8+ as they get older.)

We used Weissbluth's extinction. We followed the rest of his book, so really didn't have a big problem with going to bed...but there were spurts where she'd wake up for no reason in the middle of the night. It never took more than a couple of nights to get her back to sleeping well. We also had to revisit a few times through age 3 or so for bedtime problems.

In full disclosure - while I say 'we', it was 'me' after about 8 months. DH couldn't do it, so I'd wait til he was out of town. I didn't like doing it either, but I knew it was best for all of us.

In addition to the loud movie, I recommend a medicinal glass of wine. (For you....)

Good luck -

StantonHyde
11-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I only really Ferberized DD once at 6 mos to get her to sleep in her crib vs. eh swing. She was so big she was burning out the motor! So the very first night, I went in every 15 minutes and patted her back and got out of there (and ate a Christmas cookie!!). It lasted for 2 hours. That was it. Never had to do it again. It was not fun but 2 hours of crying vs. endless sleepless nights--easy choice.

For both of my kids, when I wanted them to sleep through the night, I gradually decreased the amount they drank at each feeding. (per Ferber who said you had to stop having them drink in the middle of the night because that only caused them to wake up) DS was 15 mos so I was using bottles--so I decreased by .5 oz or so a night. DD was 8 mos so I just fed her one minute less on each side each night. They were both sleeping through the night within one week. No crying, no nada. Easy peasy.

twotimesblue
11-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I thought that all the 'sleep trainers' agreed that you shouldn't attempt any kind of CIO if baby is teething?

123LuckyMom
11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Okay, I'm giving the little sucker one last week... And don't worry, mrs_perry. I would never let my baby cry in pain. I can tell the difference. I gave her the ibuprofen only out of desperation. She was never crying pain cries, only angry, stop-putting-me-down-in-my-crib-when-I-prefer-sleeping-only-on-the-boppy-or-your-shoulder cries, or I-have-awoken-and-found-myself-in-this-crib-again cries. She has cried the I'm-having-trouble-getting-to-sleep cry on multiple occasions. A couple of times she actually did fall asleep when I waited a few minutes before going in, but usually she just wakes, and it turns into the angry cry. This is a child who NEVER cries during the day. She is the happiest, most easy going baby. It's just at night... I'm so tired, but I know I'm not alone! Thank you, kind mamas.

Kindra178
11-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I thought that all the 'sleep trainers' agreed that you shouldn't attempt any kind of CIO if baby is teething?

Actually, Weissbluth doesn't believe that teething should keep a baby awake.

MamaInMarch
11-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Actually, Weissbluth doesn't believe that teething should keep a baby awake.

Really? I have never read or been very aware of any sleep training info. We are an attachment parenting family. But I am very curious as to the thought process behind this. Would you care to explain his/her reasoning? Don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering...

Kindra178
11-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Really? I have never read or been very aware of any sleep training info. We are an attachment parenting family. But I am very curious as to the thought process behind this. Would you care to explain his/her reasoning? Don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering...

Just what I said. He believes that teething shouldn't keep a baby up crying at bedtime or middle of the night.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I know people love Weissbluth and have success but I don't get it. If I were teething or was hungry (have you ever gone to bed hungry? it's hard to sleep)...I, as an adult who loves sleep, might not sleep well. A baby may not sleep well either. I guess if you do the method "right" then the baby has the tools to go back to sleep? I assume that's the theory.

waver
11-12-2012, 12:42 AM
We did Weissbluth, successfully two times.

My DC1 was "extremely colicky," per Weissbluth definition, and we were beyond exhausted, so we ST'd early, on 4 month birthday, which seemed the earliest per Weissbluth. Very difficult, cried 2 hrs the 1st night, then 1.5 hrs the next, gradually better. Took 2 weeks, then DC1 STTN from then on.

DC1 is 7 and still a great sleeper, from 4.5 months of age and on, DC1 would rarely cry at night, maybe 1-2 times a year, when DC was having a fever. Teething wouldn't wake him up.

DC2 was easy baby, so we did the "2 hour wakefulness" Weissbluth guideline, so she STTN'd on her own by 7 weeks. Although easy as a baby, DC2 has had more issues with sleep as she has gotten older (after 3 years of age). For example, when DC2 potty trained, she would detour into our room at night for many nights. Or, coming back from travel, she has a harder time going back to sleep on her own. I wonder if it is because we didn't formally ST her. Teething didn't seem to wake her either, but both babies seemed more irritable during the day.

Similarly, my DC1 had terribly itchy rashy eczema skin his first year of life, and that didn't seem to affect his sleep either, even though I would think he might be so itchy he could scratch himself awake.

For us, the crying was so rare after training, that when we went in the few times, we would see that our babies had a fever or something.

kerridean
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
We also used Weissbluth with both DDs. They both had SEVERE colic and we started VERY early. I will not say how early bc I will get flamed. It worked like a charm and they have been wonderful, independent sleepers ever since. We recommend the book to all new parents.

legaleagle
11-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Right after 4 months with DS1 - for a week before he was up every hour/stayed awake screaming for a couple hours in the middle of the night. I have a medical condition that makes lack of sleep a serious health hazard so we went for it. I didn't follow any sleep training book exactly. I knew check & console just enraged him so instead I did the standard nursing/rocking put him in the crib. He screamed for a while, then feel asleep for an hour and started screaming again. Did the nursing/rocking, down. I think he woke and screamed one more time but then feel asleep for about 5 hours, and after that we never had terrible sleep again. Not fabulous but always a good 5-6 hour stretch and he was easy to put down at a reasonable hour.

I got very lucky with DS2 and DD who were both magical sleeping babies since birth.