PDA

View Full Version : Becoming increasingly nervous about...

Twoboos
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
travel and bed bugs.

For some reason the idea of flying is completely freaking me out wrt bed bugs. MIL is coming for Thanksgiving and I don't know how to deal with it. I really can't ask her to strip down in the garage and leave her luggage out there, or keep it in the bathroom (not enough space in bathroom).

Plus we are flying at Christmas. I saw someone mention getting hardsided luggage, does this really help? I may pack all of our clothes in giant ziplocks and leave the suitcases in SIL's garage. Would this even make a difference? After sitting on the seats, etc. Ugh.

I am also starting to get skeeved/paranoid going to the movies.

Is this all a "real" worry, or am I moving into a phobia? I know for people who have had them, it's VERY real, I don't doubt that for a second. But what can I do to be proactive in preventing this, and not let it make me completely anxious?

rin
11-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I've had bedbugs, and it sucks, but I think you might be worrying too much. Honestly, they can be gotten rid of, they don't carry infectious diseases, and ultimately IMO mosquitoes are worse, we're just more used to them.

I don't think it's worth getting new luggage. Bedbugs are very small, can crawl into very tiny crevices, and they will creep into any bag you've got, hardsided or not. Here's what I'd do if you're really concerned:

When you get to a hotel, put all your bags in the bathtub when you first get to the room. Do a thorough check of the bed area for any signs of bedbugs, paying special attention to the seams on the mattress and any cracks/seams in the bed, headboard, molding near the bed, etc. You're looking for either small bugs (they look like little black sesame seeds, sometimes as big as apple seeds) or signs of their droppings, which look like very fine black spatter. Bedbug registries, IMO, are useless, because most infestations probably won't make it on there, and those that do may have been completely treated and be gone by the time you stay somewhere. Infestations can develop and be treated so quickly that I think the only way to know if they're somewhere is to check.

If you DO think you might have been exposed, when you get home take all your clothes and throw them into the wash on hot, then dry them all thoroughly. Keep all your suitcases/bags in the car or garage. If you live somewhere where it gets super hot, just park the car in the sun and it'll heat treat everything; if not, seal the bags up in plastic garbage bags until you want to use them next.

Frankly, though, AFAIK bedbugs don't do a lot of traveling on people and then crawling off, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting them from planes/movies theaters/subways/etc. I'm sure it *could* happen, but I think the chances are pretty small. They don't like to be out in the daytime, and they skitter away when they see people moving, so they're really unlikely to want to hitch a ride on a person's clothing. They like to get into baggage because it's another place to hide, but they don't want to be camped out on a person. They kind of like to do their business and run. :)

ETA: Unless your MIL was recently staying in a hotel, there's no reason to think she's any more likely to have bedbugs in her stuff than you all are. I personally would not say anything; I would be somewhat offended if I'd traveled a long way to go visit people over the holidays and they wanted to quarantine me once I got there.

citymama
11-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I think your anxiety about bedbugs might be worse than the critters themselves! It's no walk in the park but it's really not worth stressing about so much.

wellyes
11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
You are definitely moving into phobia territory. What you are saying sounds to me like if someone said there were worried about having a summer party because what if someone tracked in some grass that had a lyme disease infected tick on it? Should you have your guest strip down before entering the house?

Step back. You have plenty to worry about with all that travelling and family already!

kaharris83
11-11-2012, 03:05 PM
My DH travels a TON. Like a week a month or more. Lots of plane travel. Lots of hotels. He's never gotten bedbugs. Or brought them home. He doesn't do anything special. I don't think they're as prevalent as some may think. I used to be a flight attendant so constantly on planes and in hotels nightly and didn't do anything special either and never got bedbugs or brought them home.

Sometimes I have to step away from threads on the BBB or my anxiety levels will skyrocket. I hope you're able to enjoy the holidays without worrying about bedbugs. :)

Momit
11-11-2012, 03:49 PM
My DH travels a TON. Like a week a month or more. Lots of plane travel. Lots of hotels. He's never gotten bedbugs. Or brought them home. He doesn't do anything special. I don't think they're as prevalent as some may think. I used to be a flight attendant so constantly on planes and in hotels nightly and didn't do anything special either and never got bedbugs or brought them home.

Sometimes I have to step away from threads on the BBB or my anxiety levels will skyrocket. I hope you're able to enjoy the holidays without worrying about bedbugs. :)

:yeahthat: to everything (except I was never a flight attendant).

gatorsmom
11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm prone to paranoia. And I'm terrified of getting bedbugs. And since DH travels frequently and I KNOW he is not always good about checking his hotel room for bedbugs, I bought this: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/packtite-portable-bed-bug-heat-treatment-device-p-1336.html?utm_campaign=Product%20Feeds&utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=link&gclid=CMXAqOSTyLMCFQmmPAodKlAAIg

Its is outrageously expensive for what it is but as soon as DH comes home he puts his luggage in this and leaves it there overnight. I also then leave his clothes in a bag in the garage for a week. Since we have very hot weather in the summer and very cold weather in the winter, I'm hoping this will kill anything the heater didnt. The heater might not be perfect but it gives me peace of mind. So, I consider it a worthwhile investment.

hillview
11-11-2012, 08:29 PM
That is over the top IMO. DH and I both travel for work a LOT. DH travels about 50% and I travel about 30%. One of us is in a hotel about every week (often more often). No bed bugs. I check under the bed usually, expect DH does not. I think you have a better chance of being in a car accident (I don't mean that in a mean way, just in terms of statistics).

jellibeans
11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't think you are at all being too cautious. Here's my story...My husband and I have been so careful to pick hotels that are not listed on the bed bug registry. We check mattresses at hotels, leave our bags in the bathroom at hotels, etc. We are clean people. I wash sheets once a week, shower before getting into bed and in the morning, etc. We are educated people, which does not at all mean anything but to say that ANYONE can get bedbugs. Well, last week my 4 yr old had itchy bumps on his legs. I took him to the doctor because I am that mom who goes to the dr for anything and the dr said it was bedbugs. I didn't believe her. We called an exterminator and he brought a dog out and confirmed it. We have not traveled at all since moving into our brand new house in June(when I say brand new, I mean all that existed at our address 8 months ago was dirt).
The only possible way that we could have gotten bed bugs was from when my sister, bil and nephew came to visit.
One of the best ways to help yourself is to buy encasements for your mattresses and box springs. Also, wash all bedding in HOT water after guests. After my family left, I didn't wash the comforter that they used and when we lost power from Sandy, I put it on my sons bed for an extra comforter.
The exterminator is coming tomorrow to spray and de bedbug our house. We have been working our a$$es off this weekend washing all clothes, blankets, towels, etc and bagging them up.
Also, my 4 yr old is the only one that has bites. The dog that came to inspect didn't even find bedbugs in his room(though the trainer said the could still be in the middle of the bed, too far from the dog). The dog did find bedbugs in our spare room and my bed(gag). My husband and I do not have any bites. And we have yet to find any sort of evidence (dead bug, blood on sheets, excrements) in any of our beds.
Sorry to freak you out with this but honestly I don't think you can be too careful and you do NOT want to have to deal with what we are dealing with right now.

hellokitty
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Twoboos, I don't think you're being paranoid. I actually have the same concerns. We are going on a trip unless than two weeks and yes, bedbugs are on my mind. I personally know ppl got got bedbugs whirl traveling. So it does freak me out as well.

doberbrat
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, I DO think you're being paranoid, but I'm RIGHT there with you!

Last time my mom came, I had her put her stuff in those space bags and when she got here, the luggage got tossed in the wash along with her 'traveling clothes'.

I have refused to stay in a hotel in nyc b/c I'm too freaked by the bed bug possibility.

So, really, IDK what to say......

JamiMac
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I also think you're being too paranoid! My DH also travels almost weekly and our family travels a lot too. We don't really do anything special (except I check beds) and so far, have been able to avoid them. Enjoy your vacation and try not to worry about it too much!

Twoboos
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Well, I DO think you're being paranoid, but I'm RIGHT there with you!

Last time my mom came, I had her put her stuff in those space bags and when she got here, the luggage got tossed in the wash along with her 'traveling clothes'.

I have refused to stay in a hotel in nyc b/c I'm too freaked by the bed bug possibility.

So, really, IDK what to say......

Wait, how did you wash the luggage? Did she use a duffle bag or something? Because MIL is bringing a suitcase, which I can't wash...

I am comforted and yet more alarmed by these responses, LOL. I am also getting paranoid about our housecleaners using their vacuum instead of ours!!

doberbrat
11-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I asked her to use duffle bags (and told her why! My mom is even more neurotic than I am about bugs) and the one bag that couldnt be washed on hot, I used the steamer on. My steamer gets REALLY hot so I was pretty sure it'd be ok.

Hmm, the more I write this out, the crazier I sound to myself..... :hysterical:

hillview
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM
I am also getting paranoid about our housecleaners using their vacuum instead of ours!!

Ok well I am not paranoid BUT this wouldn't work for me.

Melaine
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm extremely paranoid about this and think you are being wise, not overly cautious. But I have a clinical anxiety issue. So I really am not sure where that leaves us.

Twoboos
11-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Ok so here's what I'm thinking. Maybe I'm being paranoid, maybe not. But I KNOW I don't want to get bed bugs in my home.

I am going to talk to MIL about packing her stuff in giant ziplocks, and then will put her suitcase in a large garbage bag, and leave it outside for a night or two. It will probably be below freezing which I think kills everything, right? (I do have to figure out how to approach her on this - maybe I'll have DH do it. ;))

I'll do the same for us when we travel at Christmas, ziplocks and leaving the bags outside. And make sure we wear clothes that are washable on hot.

This leaves me to wonder, doesn't it get below freezing in the cargo hold of an airplane? Wouldn't that kill any in the luggage in transit? Or do they have to be at that temp for a period of time that would be longer than a typical flight?

marie
11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
From the EPA:

While freezing can kill bed bugs, temperatures must remain very low for a long time. Home freezers are usually not cold enough to kill bed bugs. Putting things outside in freezing temperatures can kill bed bugs, but it can take several days when the temperature is 0° F and almost a week when the temperature is 20° F.

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/factsheets/bed-bugs-faq-fs.html

Twoboos
11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Ok, so much for that.

So is there anything I can do to be proactive here? (Besides take a Valium? ;)) Both when travelers come to us, and when we travel? We are not staying in hotels, it's just planes.

gatorsmom
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Ok, so much for that.

So is there anything I can do to be proactive here? (Besides take a Valium? ;)) Both when travelers come to us, and when we travel? We are not staying in hotels, it's just planes.

You could get that suitcase heater. Or take a Valium. I don't think there is any guarantee you wont get them. But these might provide the peace-of mind you are looking for.

Twoboos
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
You could get that suitcase heater. Or take a Valium. I don't think there is any guarantee you wont get them. But these might provide the peace-of mind you are looking for.

I just might do this (ETA, and take a Valium anyway. ;)). I also found this one, it's about $100 less, but sounds just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/ThermalStrike-Expedition-Bed-Heat-Treatment/dp/B004ZMS8P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352918100&sr=8-1&keywords=thermalstrike+expedition

gatorsmom
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I just might do this (ETA, and take a Valium anyway. ;)). I also found this one, it's about $100 less, but sounds just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/ThermalStrike-Expedition-Bed-Heat-Treatment/dp/B004ZMS8P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352918100&sr=8-1&keywords=thermalstrike+expedition

Oh, that appears nice and BIG. The one I bought was the only one on the market when I was looking. DH thinks I'm nuts but even he agrees he does not want to deal with a bed-bug infestation. I agree that maybe we are overreacting a bit and bedbugs are not all that big of a thread but I read the nightmarish posts from people who've BTDT and I just don't want to take that risk. An ounce of prevention and all that, kwim? :)