PDA

View Full Version : WWYD-cancel/reschedule party or wait and see?

mousemom
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
DS's 4th birthday is tomorrow. We have his first real party with friends scheduled for tomorrow morning and he's very excited about it. He woke up yesterday with his nose running. Otherwise, he felt fine all day yesterday - no fever, played, etc. Seems to be the same today - clear runny nose, but lots of energy so far. He sometimes has allergies, so it could be that. In the past, his colds often turn into sinus/ear infections after five or six days.

I have no idea if we could even reschedule with the venue, but if we wanted to do that we'd have to try and do it this afternoon. Also not sure when we'd try and reschedule to - next Friday/the following Monday would be the only options for us, but if he does really get sick, he might not be better by Friday and by Monday people might be starting to get busy/travel for the holiday.

So, WWYD - try and reschedule this afternoon since there's no way to know how he'll feel tomorrow and we don't want to expose others to germs? Or go ahead and hope he's feeling the same/better tomorrow and just cancel last minute if he's worse?

crl
11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I'd go ahead with the party.

Catherine

ahisma
11-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I definitely wouldn't cancel for a runny nose. Enjoy the party!

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Sniffles? No way would I cancel.

Green_Tea
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Go for it! I'd never cancel for a runny nose. Happy birthday to your DS!

mousemom
11-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the responses. So, you'd all just wait and see? I agree that I wouldn't cancel if he feels the same tomorrow as he does now. But if I wait till tomorrow to decide, then my only option is to cancel, instead of trying to reschedule. Also, won't other parents look at us askance if his nose is running and he keeps asking for tissues? Especially if he does then get worse and end up missing school on Tuesday?

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I think this wont get worse. Our preschool used to say, "if kids didn't come to school with runny noses, we'd never have anyone here!". I'd sympathize with you if your little one had the sniffles at their party and would understand that rescheduling was a PITB. If he gets sicker after the party, apologize to other parents if you see them in person, if you want to.

MamaMolly
11-11-2012, 01:44 PM
If I went to your kid's party and saw the birthday boy asking for a tissue I'd think the mom was a rock star because my allergy prone kids are far too happy to run around with a goopy nose, or wipe on an arm, etc.

IIWY I'd have the party and Have fun!

AnnieW625
11-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I would have the party.

When DD1 turned 5 I could tell the day before that she was coming down with an ear infection. I let her have her party, it was in the backyard at home so no party place, but as soon as it was over I took her to urgent care and low and behold it was an ear infection.

Kungjo
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Colds are nothing to worry about. Kids get them all the time. Have the party

hillview
11-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd have the party.

wellyes
11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Have a fun party!

mousemom
11-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone for reassuring me. I think we're a little more germophobic than most, so sometimes it's hard to judge what's ok. He didn't get any worse today - still no fever, running around playing, eating fine, so I'm really hoping it's just allergies this time and not a cold. As long as he wakes up feeling the same/better tomorrow, I think we're good to go!

smilequeen
11-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd have the party too.

My middle son got sick (like 103 fever) the morning of his birthday party one year. I did not cancel it. But he did not go. His brother did birthday boy duties for him. I figured I couldn't reschedule and it was pretty late to cancel, so why not let the other kids have fun...

I wouldn't even notice if the birthday kid had a runny nose...but I'm a total non-germaphobe.