PDA

View Full Version : Donate to Sandy relief through Amazon registry

anamika
11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Have you guys seen this? Amazon has a registry page to donate to the Sandy relief effort. I have heard that things get there super fast if you donate through the site.
Just wanted to share if others like me were unaware of this. I was planning to buy dipes and drop it off at the local collection place - this is so much easier!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wedding/32TAA123PJR42/ref=cm_wed_vv_page_2?ie=UTF8&page=2&sort=category-bucket

erosenst
11-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Just a warning - this is not being coordinated by Amazon.com, but rather a group of people. When the "Occupy" movement was big, they used the Amazon wedding registry service to get things they needed. This is similar - it's being coordinated by a group of Occupy members.

There are two problems with it:

* This is not part of a coordinated disaster relief effort. In most major disasters, there's waaaayyyy too much of some things, which actually hampers efforts. It's much better to give through one of the umbrella organizations that are trained to handle this. (Examples include the Red Cross and Salvation Army, although there are many others.)

* You are counting on the three people listed here to receive the goods and transport them appropriately. While I can be trusting...I am nowhere near *that* trusting.

anamika
11-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Ah okay. Thanks for letting me know.
It was mentioned on some other forums as being a good way to donate so I was less dilligent about checking it out. I didn't realize it wasn't coordinated by Amazon - though that would be cool, no?
Oh well, guess I will just buy the dipes and bring them to the location.

erosenst
11-11-2012, 11:52 AM
FWIW, Amazon historically does donate goods to major disaster areas - but when money is collected, it's via a button on the home page to send money to the red cross.