PDA

View Full Version : What would you expect to pay for?

erosenst
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
DD (almost 9) is likely going to be invited to go to Florida with a friend and her family. While there are a few things that need to fall into place first (on both sides) I'm curious about how this would work.

As background, they would fly down, but stay with the friend's grandparents.

So - what would you expect to pay for? I'm assuming the flight....but incidentals? Some meals? (I'd also send her with a hostess gift.)

Just curious - thanks for the input -

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Flight and send eating out money and souvenir money.

crl
11-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Do you know if they plan to visit any theme parks? I'd expect to pay admission for her to anything like that as well as spending money and a hostess gift.

Catherine

o_mom
11-11-2012, 12:14 PM
If I were asking another child to go (so as the host family), I would probably ask for the flight, major theme park tickets and that they send souvenir/extra treat money. I would expect to pay for meals and smaller admissions.

Depending on how close I was with the family (which I'm assuming pretty close if they were taking my 9yo to FL), I would probably pre-arrange an amount of spending money and provide a matching amount for my own child so that they could equally decide what extras they were spending on. I would not want to be in a situation where the guest child had $500 to spend and I had to tell my child no over and over. Much easier to say "Girls, you each have $100 to spend on souvenirs and treats for the week" so that when they ask for something I'm not willing to pay for, I can tell them both they can spend their own money. If the whole family was getting ice cream, for example, I would expect to pay for everyone, including guest child. However, if the guest child wanted to buy candy at a shop and not everyone was getting some, that would come from the spending money. KWIM?

erosenst
11-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all on the theme park thing - they're going to the west coast so I hadn't thought about that, but there are some easy day trips that could/might be made.

Depending on how close I was with the family (which I'm assuming pretty close if they were taking my 9yo to FL),

It's a somewhat odd situation - the girls have been friends for 4 years , but we only know the parents 'conversationally'. They're divorced, and friend is with dad more than mom. Trip would be with dad - pretty sure I wouldn't let her go with mom, to be honest.

Both girls go to extended day, and to the same camp for much of the summer, and play there - between that, split custody, extracurriculars etc they don't play together outside of school (DD plays with other friends, especially some down the street) so we don't have the pick up/drop off chats.

Having said that, I would be totally comfortable asking about the spending money thing.