PDA

View Full Version : would you use either of these photos in your Xmas card?

AnnieW625
11-11-2012, 04:59 PM
please click on the photos below. This is my family and I will remove the link.

I am a little apprehensive about it because while I do look like myself my hair is pulled back, and I just look kind of sloppy (we were at the San Diego Zoo and my mom took the photos), but of everyone else I think it is pretty good and I can't guarantee that we'll get another great shot of the entire family like that. I mean the girls did a good job of covering up my middle as well so I think the photo deserve bonus points;). We are not having family photos taken this year so really that leaves maybe Thanksgiving as another shot of having a nice photo taken of us, but again not a guarantee. I already have a card design on Picaboo.com (from the Groupon) picked out and DH likes it as well.

WWYD?

MamaMolly
11-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I think photo 2 is a nice casual family shot. If you don't get professional (dressy, in a studio) holiday photos done then I think it is a great choice.

justlearning
11-11-2012, 05:03 PM
One year I used a casual photo like this of our family and then put it in a collage form with other photos from the year. I think it came out really well that way. If I send a Christmas card with just one large photo, then I try to make that a pic with us more dressed up.

You have a great looking family!

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I think you can do better. :)

We bought a tripod last year and took our own picture at home using the camera's timer. Worked great and we could make on the spot adjustments.

Eta- I've done collages most years bc I can use more of our favorites and "show off" our year.

bisous
11-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I think the pictures are cute! But YOU don't like the way you look in the photo. If I didn't like a photo of myself there is no way that I'd send it to all my friends and family! I've been in this position before and my friends have ended up with pictures of just the kids, lol. It sounds like not everyone is as vain as I am.

scrooks
11-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I think the pictures are cute! But YOU don't like the way you look in the photo. If I didn't like a photo of myself there is no way that I'd send it to all my friends and family! I've been in this position before and my friends have ended up with pictures of just the kids, lol. It sounds like not everyone is as vain as I am.

I am the same way... We usually just send pics of the kids!

AnnieW625
11-11-2012, 05:11 PM
One year I used a casual photo like this of our family and then put it in a collage form with other photos from the year. I think it came out really well that way. If I send a Christmas card with just one large photo, then I try to make that a pic with us more dressed up.

You have a great looking family!

I have this one as well (see link below), but it is from Easter, so it is 8 mos. old, and while it is nice I think it is a bit dated esp. since the girls are carrying Easter baskets.

I have done multi photo cards before (one photo for each month, there were 10-12 slots and then had a bigger photo of the family) and I liked it, but I am not sure I have that many good photos.

bisous
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Annie, I really like that last one! You guys like great! :)

momtoonegirl
11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
You all are a great looking family :)

I like the idea of a collage picture card using the picture from Easter, which is really cute, with one of the casual pictures in your first post. If you have opportunity at thanksgiving for another family photo op, you can add to the collage, or use the picture from thanksgiving alone if you like it better. Either way, you have some choices to work with.

Hippoharbor
11-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I like the first photo better than the second. I would want to have a picture, though, where everyone's faces are not covered by sunglasses. I like that this photo shows your family in a natural setting, but would make it a point to have another taken that showed everyone's faces and maybe do a collage-style card.

Beautiful family.

ellies mom
11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I would see if you get something you like better at Thanksgiving. But if you don't, I like the first photo. The girls have got really cute expressions and it seems to show their personality more.

brgnmom
11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Very cute! Both sets look good, but I'd also try one at home using a self-timer if possible. We still haven't done ours yet using the tripod/self-timer approach, but we are planning to next weekend, hopefully.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I like the first photo better than the second. I would want to have a picture, though, where everyone's faces are not covered by sunglasses. I like that this photo shows your family in a natural setting, but would make it a point to have another taken that showed everyone's faces and maybe do a collage-style card.

Beautiful family.

:yeahthat:

i agree with this. out of the two you posted.. I like the first one better...your DD2's expression is SO cute, and the 2nd one seems to have more "glare" on everyone's faces from the sun. (eta: love the Hanna dress your DD2 is wearing...my DD has the same one )

I would consider possibly doing a collage though...I think the Easter pic you posted is nice too..plus maybe you can put a few more pics of just the kids or something,where they don't have sunglasses etc. I agree with another PP that it doesn't have to be recent, or holiday-themed, a lot of times holiday cards are more of a "highlight reel" of the year. one year i got a card from our next door neighbors and it had one family pic from their trip to Disneyworld, in August.

I personally would not attempt to take a family shot using a tripod. I have a tripod and a remote but i rarely use mine. Maybe its' just me, or maybe my kids are just too young to sit still but it never comes out well even after taking over 100 shots. My kids are just too impatient, and just move around too much and i always come out with some funny expression or something, as a result of telling them to smile or trying to get them to be still. It's really hard to tell how a pic would like if you're not seeing it..sometimes i think a pic will be good and then it turns out my stance makes me look really preggo, or DD's dress ended up being bunched up some weird way. I don't know, maybe i'm just picky :) If you have family or friends at THanksgiving that can take a family pic for you, i'd totally try that first before trying the tripod. I am really into photography but the idea of using a tripod for family pics, especially for holiday photos, gives me the heebie-jeebies :) The last time i did it for holiday pictures we just had DS (i was preg with DD) and i took over 60 shots and wasn't happy with any of them, and i think with the hormones and all and ds fussing i ended up in tears at some point (lol). But, i think my kids are exceptionally difficult camera subjects..they are never the ones to smile at the camera.

eta:i personally don't like how i look in 99.9% of photos taken of me..i often look sloppy or whatever. I always have our holiday cards with at least one photo of all of us though, bc i really like holiday pics that show the whole family, not just the kids.

traciann
11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't really care for any of the pictures because everyone is wearing sunglasses! You can't see eyes...and while its fine for a casual picture I would prefer to see faces for a christmas card.

cookiemonster80
11-11-2012, 06:24 PM

:yeahthat: totally

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I have this one as well (see link below), but it is from Easter, so it is 8 mos. old, and while it is nice I think it is a bit dated esp. since the girls are carrying Easter baskets.

I have done multi photo cards before (one photo for each month, there were 10-12 slots and then had a bigger photo of the family) and I liked it, but I am not sure I have that many good photos.

I like this one a lot better. :)

wellyes
11-11-2012, 06:36 PM
#1, everyone is smiling, genuinely. Dont' overthink it. Cute happy family photo, done. And a little reminder of sun at Christmas is not a bad thing.

bigsis
11-11-2012, 06:42 PM

I like this photo so much more than the other 2 from earlier posts because the sunglasses are too much and can barely see your faces---you shouldn't hide good looking faces :)

pomegranate
11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
What a nice family you have! I too would try to find a photo where your faces aren't covered up by sunglasses but if you don't have the time or think this is possible, then I like the first one best of all. Your expressions look great.

Which card did you pick from Picaboo? I got the Groupon too and am having a hard time deciding on the card style.

hillview
11-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I like the easter one best!

goldenpig
11-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I would see if you get something you like better at Thanksgiving. But if you don't, I like the first photo. The girls have got really cute expressions and it seems to show their personality more.
:yeahthat:
I really like getting photos of the whole family instead of just the kids on holiday cards. I'm friends with the parents, not the kids! You guys look relaxed and happy in pic 1, I think you all look great!

happymom
11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I think the first picture would work well if you do a colorful, "cute" card as opposed to a more formal card. Basically match the mood of the card to the mood of the picture, and then it will work well IMO.

misshollygolightly
11-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I haven't read all the responses, but my instinct is to take a new picture. There's nothing wrong with the ones you posted--I think all of you look great, and your hair looks just fine to me! BUT the fact that you're all wearing sunglasses makes it harder to really *see* you, if that makes any sense. I would try for a photo where you're not wearing sunglasses, IMO--grab your next-door neighbor or a friend at church or use a tripod.

If the sunglasses don't bother you at all, or if it really is too much trouble, then I think the pics you posted are fine.

elbenn
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Yes, the easter picture is great.

Momit
11-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I also like the Easter one. The lighting seems a lot better.

We are having the same discussion in our house. I found a few family pics from vacations, but DH wasn't wild about them so we are using plan B, which was a quick run to the Sears portrait studio for a pic of just DS.

hollybloom24
11-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I like the third choice - maybe crop it to get some of the background out and focus more on the family! Very cute!

Pennylane
11-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I like the second one much better! I also like the Easter picture. Could you do one of the family then one of each child?

Ann

trcy
11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
:yeahthat: You have a beautiful family.

katydid1971
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I like the second one better, its a better angle. I would try for something else though if possible.

hwin708
11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I would try for another shot if you want a group pic for you card, just because, as others have mentioned, the sunglasses obscure your faces. Which is kind of the point of sending a picture, lol.

Otherwise, I would use the Easter pic, since the lighting is better and everyone looks good. I would just crop it tightly, eliminating all the background and your DD's basket at the bottom. Essentially cropping about an inch above your DH's head, an inch on each side of your arm and your DD's back, and directly below your other DD's raised hand. That puts all the focus on your family, and eliminates most of the Easter vibe. And it's a really cute family pic!

oneplustwo
11-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Can I just say you guys are so stinkin' cute! :) I love all three photos. If you use one of the first two, crop them a good bit to bring the focus in on the 4 of you. I thought you looked great in the first two photos, and then when I saw #3 I thought, wow, there is one hot mama. My vote would be for using two photos on your card ~ one of the first two and the third.

Globetrotter
11-11-2012, 11:05 PM
You have a gorgeous family!! The lighting is off in the zoo pics and that would bother me, but then again I'm persnickety about card pics and how I look (I'm rarely satisfied with family pics). I like the Easter one a lot - wow, you look amazing! - and I would use that as part of a collage.

I would try again at Thanksgiving. I find it very difficult to good family shots so you could at least try to get some good shots of your adorable girls for a collage and attempt to get a family pic also.

mariza
11-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't really care for any of the pictures because everyone is wearing sunglasses! You can't see eyes...and while its fine for a casual picture I would prefer to see faces for a christmas card.

Exactly! It's a nice family shot, you should frame it and display it at home but when I get Christmas cards I want to see faces :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovebebes
11-12-2012, 01:49 AM
i am not a fan of an Easter photo for the card-i prefer photo #1 out of the two original ones that you posted. If I was to do that photo on the card I would photoshop and make it black and white and crop so it looks a bit more artistic. And-I agree with people that sans sunglasses would be better.
Do you guys have an iphone? I swear iphones take some amazing shots...you could all snuggle up in a bed and take shots of yourselves and turn them into black and whites-voila, super natural and real adorable family shot!
ps if you need help in photoshop/cropping/making b/w id be happy to help :) (im a secret photoshop nerd)

LexyLou
11-12-2012, 02:13 AM
When we have years that I don't love any family pics of us I do multiple pictures so there's not just one big picture.

what about your DC's school pictures? Did they turn out well? Maybe you can do each of their school pics and then one from the zoo (I like the idea of making it black and white).

essnce629
11-12-2012, 02:29 AM
I like the Easter one way better. Maybe do that one and a single pic of each kid.

citymama
11-12-2012, 03:38 AM
I like the photos! It's so rare to get everyone looking in the same direction, let alone smiling, eyes open, looking nice. I like the natural action shots way more than staged matchy ones. I say go for it! Unless *you* are not happy with the pic - you want to be excited about the card.

I might suggest a multiphoto card, with two cute close up pics if the girls plus this one. That way the main focus is on the kids but everyone also sees the happy family.