PDA

View Full Version : Are your photo cards going to have whole family or just the DC?

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Just wondering...we wanted to do whole family, but we're at the beach today, and DH only packed an undershirt for the weekend. Kids only here this year.

belovedgandp
11-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Just the kids so far - this being our 10th year of photo cards. Hoping to do family portraits next year and having all of us in the picture.

katydid1971
11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
A mix of all three over the years. Last year and this we had pictures done by professional photographers so we used a picture of the kids on one side and the whole family on the other.

Momit
11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
We are still debating!

momtoonegirl
11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
We have the whole family for most years. One year we just had DD.

stinkyfeet
11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
We usually just send pics of the kids out...I enjoy seeing pics of whole families on cards, but DH and I prefer not to be on our xmas card.

goldenpig
11-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I usually do a collage with one to two pics of the whole family, one of each kid (and/or the two of them together), and sometimes me or DH with the two kids. Kind of a weird pet peeve, but it kind of bugs me when I get cards with only pics of the kids, as if the parents don't exist.

candaceb
11-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I end up with multiple card designs every year as I collect my deals. This year I already have 3 ordered and there will be at least 2 more... In general, I like to put DS on the front, and a family photo on the back.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 11:39 PM
A mix. A group shot and then some solo or small group pictures.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I voted "whole family" since all our cards have had a family picture, though last year's had a family photo on one side and a kids-only picture on the other.

This year, I know we will have one family photo..not sure if i will do the 2-sided thing this year...i think i may just do a one-sided card as a collage and have a couple kid-only pictures too.

And while I love getting all types of holiday photos, I am with goldenpig. I really like pictures featuring the whole family vs. just the kids... I want to see pictures of my friends too. I detest how I look in photos, and almost all of the photos i take are just of the kids but I love having family pictures and i love seeing those of others. Family photos are like a rare gem, IMO....if i want to see kid-only pics i can just go to facebook (says the person whose photo albums are like 99.99% kid only :))

queenmama
11-12-2012, 12:07 AM
I prefer the whole family but we just did our pics on Friday with DC only. I was having a majorly low self esteem day. :( I'm sure I'll regret it when we get the photos back since it's our first year with DD, but I can't change it now.

Lara

MontrealMum
11-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Kids-, or kid-, only. Not by (my) choice. DH refuses to make time to do a family picture. So rather than just do DS and me and deal with a lot of questions and puzzlement :tongue5: I just do DS. This way, they also get done on time :)

pomegranate
11-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I voted whole family, which is what I prefer and I got my act together enough this year to do a mini family photo session. But in past years I usually do just DS.

janine
11-12-2012, 01:48 AM
I like seeing the whole family too, but we've started to become like everyone else and just have the kiddos.
I don't like photos of myself but mostly it's because of lack of time/planning..getting a photog,etc - just never get it done in time so end up snapping a shot of the 2 myself and throwing a card together.

LexyLou
11-12-2012, 02:01 AM
We do the whole family if we can. We've started doing annual family photos since many photogs in the area do mini sessions which with retouched jpgs are less than $200, so we can get a nice family pic.

This year, the girls didn't really cooperate so we didn't get any great pics of them alone anyway. The family one isn't even that good but it's our best one, so we'll use it.

DD1 was diagnosed with Lupus in September and she's been on very high doses of prednisone since so her face doesn't even look like her. Plus she just wouldn't smile normally...what are you gonna do?

goldenpig
11-12-2012, 02:11 AM
We do the whole family if we can. We've started doing annual family photos since many photogs in the area do mini sessions which with retouched jpgs are less than $200, so we can get a nice family pic.

This year, the girls didn't really cooperate so we didn't get any great pics of them alone anyway. The family one isn't even that good but it's our best one, so we'll use it.

DD1 was diagnosed with Lupus in September and she's been on very high doses of prednisone since so her face doesn't even look like her. Plus she just wanted smile normally...what are you gonna do?

Alexis, your family is so adorable! Great pic! Both of your DD's are so cute!

kristac
11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

DD1 was diagnosed with Lupus in September and she's been on very high doses of prednisone since so her face doesn't even look like her. Plus she just wouldn't smile normally...what are you gonna do?

This a a beautiful picture.

Melaine
11-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Too lazy to get good family shots in the past. Not sure this year...very last minute as always.

AnnieW625
11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Undecided at this moment, but DH prefers the whole family if we are doing a photo card. I have drafted some collages as well as single print ones, but still think I prefer the single print one, which I was initially attached to. I have made my own cards in the past as well and usually just included a photo of DD1 or las year included a wallet size photo of our family that had been professionally taken.

LexiLou your photo turned out great! That might be my inspiration to get a better shot of my family as well:).

AnnieW625
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
duplicate post, sorry.

dogmom
11-12-2012, 09:31 AM
I only have my kids, they are much cuter. ; )

Although the trend to kid only cards and away from family cards prompted a childless friend of mine to write one facebook one holiday season:

"What happened to the family holiday card? My mantle is full of pictures of children that aren't mine and I don't really know. I look like a pedophile."

mackmama
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
DH and I like to see pics of the whole family on holiday cards. We usually receive cards that have just the kids on it, and we are always wanting to see the adults (our friends) too. So we will do the whole family on ours.

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm seeing a trend here. Like us, our intention was to do whole family, but it didn't work out this year. We almost had it together enough for a whole family shot. And yes, I could wait and do it later and try to get a whole family shot, but it's not happening. Those who know our story for this past year will surely be saying, "Gosh, I really wanted to see how WTG and her DH are holding up after moving 400x in the process of finding a new home."

We will strive to send out a whole family shot NEXT year, and maybe every other year after that. That sounds reasonable, right?

fauve01
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Kind of a weird pet peeve, but it kind of bugs me when I get cards with only pics of the kids, as if the parents don't exist.

:yeahthat: i like seeing the whole family! i like collage cards, but not when there are so many pics they are small and i can't see them very well.

we always do one big one of our whole fam. the last couple years i picked a card wtih one big pic in the center and one small to the side for a pic of dd by herself.

eta: having a family pic on the holiday card is a way to make sure we have a yearly decent pic of the three of us together and smiling, which is really important to me. :)

maestramommy
11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I voted whole family, but I like to pick the collage format, have the main pic of the whole family, and other little pics of the kids if I can find it.

maestramommy
11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I only have my kids, they are much cuter. ; )

Although the trend to kid only cards and away from family cards prompted a childless friend of mine to write one facebook one holiday season:

"What happened to the family holiday card? My mantle is full of pictures of children that aren't mine and I don't really know. I look like a pedophile."
:hysterical:

I wish people wouldn't leave out themselves either, no offense to you! I mean, I know the parents really, even if it is fun to see their kids grow up.

bigsis
11-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Most years, it's the whole family. But this year and a couple of years ago, we did just the kids. Some ppl complain, but what can I say? It's easier to get outfits for them. It's a nightmare shopping for myself :(