PDA

View Full Version : Our first AG doll purchase....

scrooks
11-11-2012, 10:22 PM
....what accessories are a must? We just ordered DD McKenna for Xmas. She only plays with dolls sometimes but swears McKenna is what she really wants. Anyway...I ordered the practice outfit set as well as the doll and the brush. Any other must haves for a first time AG doll owner?

ellies mom
11-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Since she only plays with dolls sometimes, I'd call it good and see what happens. If she plays with it a ton, you can buy more stuff later. If it doesn't see much use, you won't be as bummed. She'll have a change of clothes which is a good start.

Neatfreak
11-12-2012, 03:38 AM
It's not a bad idea to wait and see. The only accessory that my DD picked out after she received her doll was the doll-sized sleeping bag. And she still hasn't ever chosen to get an accessory when she has birthday money or an AG giftcard. She's picked out a pet, new outfits, or books every single time.

brittone2
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
If you wait, you might also consider looking at some of the accessories from Our Generation (Target) or Journey Girls (TRU). We have some OG accessories that have been well made IMO, and I've read some decent reviews of Journey Girls items too (wheelchair/cast set, etc.).

When DD got her first AG doll, we bought it at the store for her bday. She also took along some of her own money and decided to purchase the crutches/cast kit, which has gotten a LOT of play. That might go well with McKenna, but I wouldn't jump on it if i you aren't sure she'd use it. And even then I might look at the Journey Girls version.

Twoboos
11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
If you wait, you might also consider looking at some of the accessories from Our Generation (Target) or Journey Girls (TRU). We have some OG accessories that have been well made IMO, and I've read some decent reviews of Journey Girls items too (wheelchair/cast set, etc.).

When DD got her first AG doll, we bought it at the store for her bday. She also took along some of her own money and decided to purchase the crutches/cast kit, which has gotten a LOT of play. That might go well with McKenna, but I wouldn't jump on it if i you aren't sure she'd use it. And even then I might look at the Journey Girls version.

Seconding the Target/TRU brands. They also have clothes at Michael's, and I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart has a 18"doll too, although I can't think of the name.

I saw a wheelchair and crutches/cast set at TRU which I'm pretty sure I HAVE to get for DDs.

scrooks
11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I checked out the stuff at Target and I think I am going to get her the carrying case/ backpack. I don't want her schleping the doll around house to house on Xmas day dropping parts left and right. Beyond that I am going to wait and see how much she plays with the doll. If she plays with her a lot we can let her pick some stuff out for her birthday in July.

vonfirmath
11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Note that the McKenna specific stuff is selling out FAST. It might not even be there by Christmas. So if there is something McKenna specific you want grab it NOW.

scrooks
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Note that the McKenna specific stuff is selling out FAST. It might not even be there by Christmas. So if there is something McKenna specific you want grab it NOW.

I think I already ordered the stuff we need. The doll and the outfits are, of course, on back order. Does anyone know if AG back order times are generally accurate?

vonfirmath
11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I think I already ordered the stuff we need. The doll and the outfits are, of course, on back order. Does anyone know if AG back order times are generally accurate?

On the AG board I am on, folks have been receiving their McKenna stuff BEFORE the back order date. So it seems their back order dates are quite conservative.

KrisM
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM

No, I think there is a huge amount of fluff time built in! I ordered the bars/beam in August on a Monday night. It was backordered until Sept 30. I got them the following Friday, so 4 days later. It was still listed on backorder!

I think in general, they put dates far enough ahead to be 100% sure they fill them by then.

OP - DD has the Journey Girl wheel chair and crutches. The wheel chair is probably them most played with accessory she has.

AnnieW625
11-15-2012, 01:54 AM
OP - DD has the Journey Girl wheel chair and crutches. The wheel chair is probably them most played with accessory she has.

Where do you get the Journey Girl stuff? DD1 has a broken leg (as of today) and I anticipate her being in a cast through Christmas this year. I was thinking of ordering her the AG cast set, but alternatives are always welcome!

lalasmama
11-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Where do you get the Journey Girl stuff? DD1 has a broken leg (as of today) and I anticipate her being in a cast through Christmas this year. I was thinking of ordering her the AG cast set, but alternatives are always welcome!

Journey Girls is ToysRUs. Wal-Mart's version is "My Life", and they also have a wheelchair and cast set for under/around $20.

KrisM
11-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Yes, Journey Girls is Toys R Us. Sorry your DD has a broken leg! I hope it heals quickly.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10816101

scrooks
11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Ok...the backorder estimates are definietly conservative. I got a shipping confirmation on McKenna today. She is on her way! Now I just hope the outfits ship soon.