PDA

View Full Version : How recent do photos have to be for Christmas cards? How about Halloween pics?

goldenpig
11-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I am such a bad slacker...I usually get photo Christmas cards printed but then end too busy to send them all out. Two years ago I actually sent out three years' worth of cards all at once! Last year I sent cards out to about half my list, but then petered out and still have the other half that I will probably send with this year's. :bag

So I'd like to actually get Christmas cards made and sent out on time this year for a change! I haven't been organized enough to arrange for a professional photographer for holiday cards, plus with the baby coming in a few months I think we'll just save the real photo session for when the baby comes.

How recent does the family photo have to be for Christmas cards? Here's a picture that I like of our family, but it's from June...is that too old? Also, what about Halloween pictures? I have a pic of me and the two kids in our skeleton pajamas/sweatshirts, which I like because it "shows" the baby. Would it be too weird to have a Halloween pic on our Christmas card? We usually have at least 4-6 photos on our cards, a mix of some of the whole family, some of the kids by themselves and together, and me or DH alone with the two kids.

Oh, and I already posted these pics on Facebook earlier...that shouldn't matter, right? (ie, not a "new" pic so many of my friends have already seen them).

(ETA: The second pic would be in addition to the first one...it would be part of a collage of about 5 or 6 pics).

Jupiter
11-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I've seen people due picture through out the year. Your first picture is so cute!

1mom2dylan
11-11-2012, 11:00 PM
The first picture would be great for a Holiday card! You all look great!

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I use pictures from the whole year!

Globetrotter
11-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I would do a collage with these two plus one or two more from throughout the year, which is what I sometimes do.. but I think the halloween pic is super cute as it shows the baby (judging from the previous thread, not everyone shares my POV :)).

candaceb
11-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I LOVE the first one. I vote no on the Halloween one unless you're doing a collage.

stinkyfeet
11-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Those are great pics, but the first pic is the winner in my mind!!! :thumbsup:

ZeeBaby
11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
First one is a great shot!

momtoonegirl
11-11-2012, 11:16 PM
I vote for the first picture. :) Cute family!

katydid1971
11-12-2012, 12:19 AM
We had family pictures done in July that we are using for our Christmas card. I agree with everyone, the first one is great. I would totally use it for your Christmas picture.

pomegranate
11-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I would just stick with the first photo - very nice for a holiday card! If you want to mention that you're expecting another, you could put that in the signature.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-12-2012, 01:15 AM
if you will just use one pic, i'd use the first one (great pic!). if you are going to do a collage of pics, i'd use halloween one..that is too cute!!

brgnmom
11-12-2012, 01:17 AM
if you will just use one pic, i'd use the first one (great pic!). if you are going to do a collage of pics, i'd use halloween one..that is too cute!!

:yeahthat: so cute! Love your family pics.

smiles33
11-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I love them both! I'm doing our first photo cards this year and chose a design with multiple photos so I could get some of the entire family and some of just the girls. Perhaps you can find a design that allows multiple photos as well?

LexyLou
11-12-2012, 01:47 AM
The first one is great! Definitely use it.

essnce629
11-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Either do a card with the first pic only or do a collage of multiple pics and include the Halloween pic.

AnnieW625
11-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Either do a card with the first pic only or do a collage of multiple pics and include the Halloween pic.

:yeahthat: and for you I highly recommend cardstore.com, especially if they are having a special that includes postage and then they will mail them for you! You can usually find coupons on retailmenot.com .

lizzywednesday
11-12-2012, 11:03 AM
DH wants to do a year-in-review photo collage for our Christmas card this year.

I've got no problem with that.

okinawama
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
WOW! Your pics are adorable! I feel like I haven't had a picture of everyone looking at the camera and smiling in 2+ years. You can't go wrong with either.

fauve01
11-12-2012, 02:37 PM
i prefer the first one because the whole family is in it! the second one is super cute, but if you used that as your main pic, i would wonder why you are in it and not your dh. i agree with the PP that it would be great to use if you were doing a collage card with lots of pics.

trcy
11-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I vote for the first picture. :) Cute family!
:yeahthat:

llama8
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Our Christmas card pictures are from July. A professional photographer came to the kids daycare and did black and white period pics dressed in old fashioned clothes. They are gorgeous and will be our xmas card pictures. As long as they are from the year, it really doesn't matter.

I like Pic 1 a lot. It would make a great xmas card pic.