PDA

View Full Version : Cosco scenara for 15 months old ff or rf

hehateme
11-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Ds1 is 3 years and 3 months old
Ds2 is 11 months old

Over the past 2 years I have I have to constantly argue with my wife to keep ds1 rear facing. We own radian xtsl's and peg perego prima viaggio convertible car seats with high rear facing limits. With the help of tis forum I have been able keep ds1 rear facing until now.

We are taking a long overseas flight in 4 month. Ds2 will be 15 months od and we are considering taking our travel carseat Cosco scenara for ds2. We will not take a carseat for ds1 who will be 3 years 7 months old.

Ds2 is 35 lbs and 40 inches tall at this time. Will he be safe and comfortable in the plane seat without a carseat.

For ds2 we will have Cosco scenara. I did searches and was surprised to learn that I should keep the carseat rear facing. When I told my wife about this she has told me that ds2 must be ff. she does not want him to see the back of his seat for 17 hours. I am trying to decide how safe ds2 will be in ff Cosco scenara in a 17 hour flight.

Thanks

legaleagle
11-12-2012, 12:42 AM
I think he'd be able to see you better rf'ing since you'd be facing him directly, and it's not like he wouldn't be looking at the back of another seat anyway. That said, I think it would be ok to ff on the plane if necessary for a baby over 12 months. Any carseat is a big step up from a lap baby both in safety and comfort for everyone involved. As for your DS1, will you not be driving on your trip (only PT)?

Multimama
11-12-2012, 01:09 AM
What airline are you flying? Have you checked their carseat policy?

I would be fine forward-facing a 15 month old on a plane if that's what your wife wants to do, but I find rear-facing much more convenient (easier to interact, no lost toys, etc.).

The FAA recommends using a carseat on the plane until the child is 40 lbs. At that size they are able to really benefit from the compartmentalization etc. that the design of the plane provides. Personally for a 17 hour flight I would want to bring a carseat for a 3 year old so that he would be able to sleep comfortably and I wouldn't have to be worrying about him undoing the seatbelt, etc.

mom2binsd
11-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Is you wife going to keep the 15 month old from kicking the seat in front of him??? While the safety impact of RF vs FF on an airplane are debatable.

I can tell you that RF a 15 month old will make it easier to feed them, recline them, help them fall asleep, look at them and keep toys easier within reach...just think of all the times he will drop something and you'll have to reach to the floor.

I also found it easier as the person sitting next to a RF seat that I had a little more shoulder room, when the seat is FF it is right next to your shoulders.

Do you have an infant seat that he could fit into? Then the discussion is over.

I think it's a toss up for the 3 year old, my kids sat in car seats on airplanes at that age as they were comfy and had a place to rest their heads. If you need a seat at your destination I'd just install it on the plane.

Can you also book two seats in front of the adult who is sitting with the 15 month old?

So you'd have DS1 in window and adult 1 and behind them DS2 RF at window and adult2 beside them.

Splitting them up can often be helpful.

hehateme
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
We are going to India and cars are very small there and nobody uses car seats so I am not even sure it will be possible to use car seats. We have another 5 hour car ride from the airport in India to our final destination. I fear that taking another car seat may make it very hard to get all our luggage in 1 car. The person picking us up will do so in a Toyota minivan but I am not sure US made car seats will fit in it. We do have chicco key 30 car seat and DS2 uses it right now so if he does fit in this seat we will take this seat instead of scenara. He will be more comfortable and it will have to be rear facing.

We are flying Delta/KLM/Air France. I will have to read their policies to understand their rules regarding car seats.

Many thanks for your helpful responses.