PDA

View Full Version : Kohl's exaggerated "original" prices?

♥ms.pacman♥
11-12-2012, 01:24 AM
i don't normally shop at Kohls and when i do, i usually have a great experience, and find great stuff there. But i get the strong impression they really tend to exaggerate their "original" prices. They tout things as "40% off" but then even with that discount, it often ends up being *more* expensive than if you bought it elsewhere at regular price!

I know most other retailers do this too (luring people with sales, slashed prices, etc off), but does anyone agree that Kohls seems like one of the worst offenders of this? I was just looking online to use my Kohls cash, and came across this Thomas & friends giant wall decal (mural). It says it's "on sale" for $24.49, and original price is listed as $48.99.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455248925174 27&crosssell=true

I knew that sounded crazy so I just checked on TRU site (usually my "standard" for what full retail price is) and the same exact decal (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2623580&cagpspn=pla&pla=plab) is $22! Craziness..that even at supposedly half off it would be cheaper to find something full price, at TRU no less. Similar thing with the other decals...even with half off theyr'e cheaper at BedBath & Beyond full price. I've noticed that in the toys this is especially common.

gatorsmom
11-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I really only buy my kids' clothes there and that with the sales prices their clothes are a good deal so I can't speak to the prices of any other departments. But I will agree that I would never pay full price for their clothes. They are outrageous.

Jcpenney was doing the same thing up until they rolled out their new plan last summer to not have sales. I got some clothes their a few months ago that were a really decent price. But I read that consumers are always looking for a deal and the new JcPenney strategy is not working. I'll be interestedt
to see the price of JcPenney's chrsitmas stuff and whether they stick to their new 'non-sale' strategy.

TRU is another store that routinely raises their prices before having a sale.

ett
11-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Kohls is really bad with their inflated prices, which is why I don't shop there. Macy's is the same; their stuff is always on "sale".

Globetrotter
11-12-2012, 02:48 AM
yes, it drives me bonkers, one of the reasons I avoid Kohls.

I put up with it at macys to get my INC. clothing.

jam224
11-12-2012, 03:02 AM
It drives me bonkers too. I agree that they over-inflate the original price on nearly everything. I hate that I can't trust that I'm actually saving money with their sales... instead, I'm always compelled to price check with competitors to make sure I'm *actually* getting the best deal. :rolleyes:

I guess it pays to do your homework, so good for you for checking TRU, OP!

MMMommy
11-12-2012, 03:08 AM
I noticed the inflated prices especially with their toys. Way higher original prices than other places. What a turn off!

brittone2
11-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Like PPs, it is one reason I rarely shop there. I just get tired of their games.

I think there are good deals to be had, and I do shop there occasionally, but the price stuff is ridiculous.

NJ_Mom2011
11-12-2012, 07:43 AM
I thought the worst offender of this practice was Babies R Us and its selection of Carters clothes. BRU is always claiming to have a "sale" on Carters but you can always find Carters cheaper at its outlet (with a coupon), Marshalls, JCP, or Costco.

Don't get me started on supermarkets. ShopRite give out these ridiculously long receipts, claiming that you "saved" hundreds, when I wouldn't have bought half the food in the first place if it were sold at its ridiculously high original prices.

TwinFoxes
11-12-2012, 08:22 AM
I think they're the worst offender. Now that people have apps with scanners in their pockets I don't know how they get away with it. Even if there are good deals, I just can't be bothered with their shenanigans.

maybeebaby08
11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
I think some people see deal or half price plus coupon and think its a great deal. I've tried to explain to SIL & MIL who mainly shop at Kohls that a lot of its not "deals" but they still really only shop there because they have a Kohls card with special discount (which is usually only 15%.)

I really like JCPenneys new pricing model for my clothes, I hadn't been in there in a few months and was pleasantly surprised when I found a bunch of clothes I liked at prices I'd pay. I figured it wasn't doing well when they started sending out coupons again.

AnnieW625
11-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I first noticed it a few years ago when I was shopping for housewares like an iron, and then again last year when I was looking for booster seat for DD1. Kohls had the booster seat marked at $20 higher than the manufacturer was selling it.

I like the JC Penney model mainly because I am bad at remembering my coupons. I wish Macy's would follow suit. I find their sales pretty confusing.

twowhat?
11-12-2012, 11:27 AM
I totally agree and I actually hate shopping at Kohls. The only time I shop there is when someone posts a crazy good deal, like the buy one get one half off that could be stacked with a 30% Kohls charge discount, with free shipping (though had to pay a handling fee), when the Radians on their website were already discounted...I think I got 2 radians for something like $165 each that way. I used to shop there for super cheap baby clothes when I needed them ($1-$2 for jumping beans pieces) but I don't anymore. I cannot stand going into that store now. There is just nothing special about it.

janine
11-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Michaels does this too. 60% off custom framing, but still comes out to be several hundred. So what it's normally $600 to frame a picture?

Melbel
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I have noticed Kohl's overpricing too, which is a main reason I rarely shop there. I do not mind the frequent sale model, but I lose trust when Kohl's original prices routinely exceed the manufacturer's suggested price.

minnie-zb
11-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes, I think Kohl's does this. I'm pretty cautious about shopping there. I've also noticed Joann's and Michael's doing more and more of this. Another store where this is a problem is Justice.

It amazes me this tactic works -- it might work once or twice, but don't people catch on and then they realize?

minnie-zb
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Michaels does this too. 60% off custom framing, but still comes out to be several hundred. So what it's normally $600 to frame a picture?

Framing is really expensive. I've spent over $500 on large pieces and this was back in the early '90's. It was a private frame shop.

happy2bamom
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
We avoid Kohls because of their inflated prices. Their "biggest sale of the year" usually makes their prices comparable to their competitors. Their strategy must work though because most of my friends shop their regularly and always talk about the deals that they get.

hellokitty
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
My sil used to work at kohls and she verified then inflated prices when I complained to her about it. The key to kohls is to utilize coupons and discount codes while having a firm idea of how much things actually do cost compared you stores that don't jack up their full price. I've stopped shopping at tru. Even with a coupon I can find better deals online or at target on sale. I hate how overpriced they are. Lego is the worst there.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't shop at Kohls because of this exact reason. Ugh. Hate it!

ellies mom
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, I think Kohl's does this. I'm pretty cautious about shopping there. I've also noticed Joann's and Michael's doing more and more of this. Another store where this is a problem is Justice.

It amazes me this tactic works -- it might work once or twice, but don't people catch on and then they realize?

I can't speak for Kohls but Justice hits an age group that just doesn't have a lot of other options. DD1 is nine and she is getting into that tween stage where most of the clothes at Gymboree and Crazy 8 are too "babyish" for her but she is too small to shop at the teenage stores.

I hate shopping there. I almost never buy anything full price at Gymboree but I don't feel ripped off when I do. If I don't get at least 40% off something at Justice, I feel completely ripped off. DH got DD1 a $100 gift card for her birthday. She is over the moon but I'm dreading going into the store to spend it (she is long and skinny so trying on is a must). Apparently, today there is a 40% off sale with an extra 20% off. So, that is on our schedule for the day.

As for Kohl's, my friends who have boys seem to have a lot of luck there but I haven't. Every so often my husband would get sucked into a "sale" there and insist we buy something. And almost every time, they'd shrink or fall apart after just one or two washes. I finally got him to understand that it wasn't a bargain if they could only wear it once and that the stuff at Target was much better quality for consistently better prices.

daniele_ut
11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
i only look at the final price of an item when I'm shopping at Kohl's. Their original prices are pretty ridiculous on most things. I've gotten a lot of great bargains there when I'm comparison shopping, though. You really need to be a savvy consumer at Kohl's.

JustMe
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
It seemed to me, it didn't used to be this way about 4 years ago. I remember during the times I had a 30% of coupon and there was an early bird sale, I'd walk out with a bag full of clothes for dd for around $20. Now, yes, I have noticed things are inflated even with the sales. Sometimes there are some good deals to be found, but you have to look carefully and know your prices.

squimp
11-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I think Justice does the same thing. There is always a 40% off coupon so nothing is ever the true price there. I just make sure I never pay full price for anything.

llama8
11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I never look at the original prices when shopping at kohls. They are very inflated. I think most of my family's wardrobe comes from kohls, but I know when I am getting a good deal. I only shop there when I have a 30% off coupon and get kohls cash back and the item is on "sale". Only then do I feel like I am getting a bargain.

belovedgandp
11-12-2012, 04:36 PM
I never buy anything at Kohl's unless it is at least 40% off according to them and then use my Kohls CC for another 15% off minimum.

There are decent deals to be had, but ridiculous prices to walk in and pay up front. I can stock up on DH jeans, polo shirts, and basic pieces for me regularly. The shoes are hit or miss along with the kids stuff. Toys have to be more like 50% or more off before they come close to a sale price elsewhere.

I have had good luck with their customer service; exchanging pants that were way old. But they have gotten stricter on some of those policies.

inmypjs
11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I feel like I get a lot for my money at Kohls and shop there quite a bit. I do think their original prices are inflated, but it doesn't bug me. I just don't look at them. I only go when I have a 30% off coupon and they are giving Kohls cash.

BabbyO
11-12-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't look at the original price anywhere. I shop at Kohl's regularly...but it is mostly on the clearance racks and with coupons. I've always said if you EVER pay full price for ANYTHING at Kohl's you are paying way too much.

Now that said...Kohls is significantly more convenient for me to get to than Penney's, TRU/BRU, or any stores at the mall. I also find they are very forgiving with returns and exchanges and in general I've had excellent customer service.

wifecat
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I only buy at Kohls during the 30% off everything/free shipping/$10 Kohls cash back on every $50. And I only buy stuff already on sale.

It's a pain because you have to check every item to see whether it's really a deal, but I just play their game right back at them. I've gotten some fabulous Kohls deals over the years, but it is a bit of work to not get scammed.

khm
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
They've been doing it forever, for toys anyways. I don't do much clothes shopping there. My son is 8. I remember distinctly when he was an infant buying a Fisher Price aquarium crib thing at Target. It was $24. The following week, I was a Kohl's and decided to buy another one. FP stuff was 50% off. Whoot.

When I got to the checkout, I noticed it rang at $24. I pointed out it should be half off, she futzed around with the computer and said, "oh the regular price of that item is $48". EYEROLL.

On a later trip, I was returning something and noticed they do have a sign posted that says something to the affect of, "Original prices" used to determine sales prices are prices that merchandise may or may not have ever been sold at. So, basically, they are completely made up.

I assume the sign was some sort of CYA legal disclaimer? I dunno. It struck me as hilarious though.

scrooks
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
My DH was telling me that micheals got sued for their 50 % off framing "deal". Apparently there is a law (I don't know if its state or federal) that to be able to advertise something as "on sale" it has to be the regular price a certain percentage of the time. I guess micheals ran their framing "deal" for 30 weeks straight and someone caught on and sued. I find fake inflated pricing really annoying!

anamika
11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
That is awful. We caught that at a TRU which was going out of business and I was so mad!
But you know, I never look at the sale price/original price. For me it is what I am willing to pay for the item. If it's 90% off and still more than I think it is worth, it's not a deal for me. Maybe that's why I like shopping at Kohls!

ang79
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't look at the original price anywhere. I shop at Kohl's regularly...but it is mostly on the clearance racks and with coupons. I've always said if you EVER pay full price for ANYTHING at Kohl's you are paying way too much.

Now that said...Kohls is significantly more convenient for me to get to than Penney's, TRU/BRU, or any stores at the mall. I also find they are very forgiving with returns and exchanges and in general I've had excellent customer service.

Ditto to this. I try to only shop at Kohls (online or instore) when I have a 20 or 30% off code and free shipping, and then I mostly stick to the clearance items, unless I am looking for something specific, then I check to see if the sale price is decent or not. I tend to buy a lot of our clothes there (work shirts and khakis for DH, and clothes/shoes for the girls and myself), and sometimes bedding or kitchen stuff (in the past I've gotten good deals on the Keurig K-Cups by stacking coupons). I don't usually buy toys or books there as I can find cheaper elsewhere. I try to shop their seasonal clearances to get stuff for the girls for the next year and have gotten some great bargains this way (I once scored several nice sundresses for church and Easter at $4 each online for DD1 and often get leggings/shorts/tees for $2-$3 each). I do the same thing with Old Navy, shop the clearance racks when they have 40% off for Stuff and Save :) I much prefer the return policy at Kohls over other stores though. That way if I buy shoes a year or two in advance for the girls when I find them on clearance and then they end up not working out for the girls, easy peasy returns. Last year they even let me exchange a pair of heeled dress boots that I had worn several times and purchased a year earlier on steep clearance. They got a hole in them and I was just wanting a credit back for the $20 I spent since I had only worn them a handful of times. They actually shipped me a brand new pair that was retailing for $68 on their website and said they didn't look worn enough to have a hole like that and it was a faulty item!

So yes, very inflated prices, but awesome deals if you have a Kohls card to get the discounts and shop the clearance racks. Lately I tend to find better bargains online than in store (like same items cost more in the store on clearance than they do online).

amldaley
11-12-2012, 10:01 PM

I totally had it out with the Manager of a Michaels about this over the summer. The ad was VERY deceptively worded so it does not *really* include most of what is available in the custom framing selection. They were trying to rook my 73 yo mother. After I read the woman the Riot Act, she conceeded and honored it b/c she admitted there is was no way they could have built a frame withing the allowances of the coupon.

mum-to-be
11-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I think they're the worst offender. Now that people have apps with scanners in their pockets I don't know how they get away with it. Even if there are good deals, I just can't be bothered with their shenanigans.

Exactly this. I refuse to shop there on principle. I don't like being deceived.