PDA

View Full Version : Deadly blast devastates Indianapolis neighborhood

essnce629
11-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Did anyone else see this? I almost thought the pictures were fake. How incredibly scary and so strange. They still don't know what caused it. If you click on the main picture you can see several other pictures of the site. So eerie.

Deadly blast devastates Indianapolis neighborhood
http://news.yahoo.com/deadly-blast-devastates-indianapolis-neighborhood-220044324.html

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Wow. I have a friend who recently moved there and I remember her mentioning the elem. school named in the article. Hope she's not involved. How scary/sad!

maestramommy
11-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow. My first thought was gas but it looks like they are looking into it already and there weren't signs.

Momit
11-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Oh my gosh, how awful. I hadn't heard. DH travels there for work so I forwarded it to him in case he knows anyone who was affected.

brittone2
11-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Have our Indy-area moms checked in? I doubt (and hope!) they are not involved but I hope they'll check in and let us know they are okay, just in case!:grouphug:

maybeebaby08
11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
That's scary! I wonder if it was a meth lab?

My sister lives outside of Indy, she's out of town right now, wonder if it was close to her.

o_mom
11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Have our Indy-area moms checked in? I doubt (and hope!) they are not involved but I hope they'll check in and let us know they are okay, just in case!:grouphug:

I'm here - it was the opposite side of town for most of us, I think (erosenst, lilycat88, willow33, overcome). I'm thankful there weren't more casualties.

Gracemom
11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
So awful. Maybe I've been watching too much Homeland, but an explosion that severe makes me suspicious. Or maybe I'm just scared about it being gas related since we have a gas meter in back of our house. Prayers for all those involved - how scary it must have been.

brittone2
11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm here - it was the opposite side of town for most of us, I think (erosenst, lilycat88, willow33, overcome). I'm thankful there weren't more casualties.
Phew! Thanks for letting us know you are safe, and that it was probably not in the area many of our Indy members are from. My heart does go out to those involved...the pics are incredible.

:grouphug:

AngelaS
11-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Today they're saying there was no gas leak. I'm guessing meth lab.

wellyes
11-12-2012, 09:50 AM
They said they ruled out bomb and meth lab.

AnnieW625
11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
My first thought after the gas main thing, which I think would have destroyed more homes was fireworks being stores in the home. In 2006 someone about 2 miles from me had his stash of illeg fireworks blow up his garage. The rest of the house survived, but we heard the explosion 2 miles or SW so I can only imagine how loud if was next door or across the street.

Prayers to those in the general area.

kristac
11-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Yikes- scary. It looks like some of the garage doors on the neighbor's home melted. Amazing more people weren't hurt.

daniele_ut
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
How unbelievably awful.

There was a home explosion here a few years ago that leveled a house and damaged some nearby but they knew right away that it was a gas leak because a gas company employee was there investigating and for some reason had asked the homeowner to accompany him back into the house. Seconds later the home exploded in front of friends and neighbors who were outside. It was horrific. She was a very young mom with a small baby and was my friend's SIL.

ladysoapmaker
11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I too curious, Iwant to know what caused this. Just this past spring we had a case where someone was digging and didn't call OUPS before digging and he nicked the gas main, which caused gas to build up in the basement and it caused an explosion. Destroyed that house, and caused damage to the 2 houses next to it. So nothing on the scale of destruction you see from the pictures in Indianapolis.

I hope folks are able to get back into there houses soon.

Jen

KrisM
11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow. How awful.

willow33
11-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm here and fine. It happened on the southeast side of Indy and I live on the northside. The pics are absolutely horrifying. A 2nd grade teacher and her husband lost their lives in this. I read that they ruled out meth lab or bomb and not sure about gas leak, but there are lots of reports spreading. I feel awful for the families in this area. One of my friends lives .5 mile from the site and she said her house rocked back and forth and all her pictures fell off the wall. Another women said she was sleeping on the couch and she woke to all her windows exploding and her front door falling in. I can't even imagine :(

lilycat88
11-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm good. If you look at Indy like a clock, the explosion happened at about 5:00. I live at about 8:00. Most of the Indy area folks on the bbb (I think) are in the 11:00-2:00 range.

DS's infant room lead teacher lives across a 4-lane street from that neighborhood. I haven't had a chance to talk to her in person and they were out of town for the weekend so she wasn't sure how close the damage was to their home.

My DH works in the utility field and is fully convinced it was gas. The folks in one of the houses that was completely destroyed was out of town and it's been reported that there was a gas smell issue in that home recently.

goldenpig
11-12-2012, 02:25 PM
How scary and sad. I feel so bad for the teacher and her husband and all those nearby who were affected. It reminds me of a similar huge explosion and fire a couple of years ago in the Bay Area that was due to a gas leak from a ruptured pipe. Eight people died.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion
I wouldn't be surprised if this one was also from gas.

brittone2
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
How scary and sad. I feel so bad for the teacher and her husband and all those nearby who were affected. It reminds me of a similar huge explosion and fire a couple of years ago in the Bay Area that was due to a gas leak from a ruptured pipe. Eight people died.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion
I wouldn't be surprised if this one was also from gas.
That came to mind right away here too. So sad!

Melaine
11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm here and fine. It happened on the southeast side of Indy and I live on the northside. The pics are absolutely horrifying. A 2nd grade teacher and her husband lost their lives in this. I read that they ruled out meth lab or bomb and not sure about gas leak, but there are lots of reports spreading. I feel awful for the families in this area. One of my friends lives .5 mile from the site and she said her house rocked back and forth and all her pictures fell off the wall. Another women said she was sleeping on the couch and she woke to all her windows exploding and her front door falling in. I can't even imagine :(

Wow...what in the world could have caused something like this??

Glad you are ok!

Pennylane
11-12-2012, 04:50 PM
That is horrifying. Shocking that more people were not injured.

Ann

sophiesmom03
11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
My first thought was gas leak and, barring that, meth lab? :( How awful for all the families involved.

wendibird22
11-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I've been following this story because I lived in Indy for a while and SIL and BIL-to-be live there too. Just learned today that the woman who died is a Sigma Kappa sorority sister from the Ball State chapter.