PDA

View Full Version : s/o- Duct-Tape Parenting

marie
11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
In GreenTea's post someone mentioned the book Duct-Tape Parenting. Thought I'd share some of our experience with it.

DH and I did a 6-week parenting class with the author of Duct-Tape Parenting. Her program is called Parenting-On-Track. For the psych majors out there ;), she likes to refer to Adler and Adlerians. (She also is a devotee of Alfie Kohn.)

Her whole approach is about making your kids responsible and resilient. She's pretty hard-core (and honestly, her personality can be pretty abrasive). A kid doesn't brush his teeth, you don't force it. If the kid doesn't get self-conscious about stinky breath (one of the natural consequences), then the kid puts money into the "dentist jar" every time the teeth aren't brushed. You're supposed to find out from your dentist how much a filling would cost and your kid will have to pay for it themselves if they are not choosing to brush their teeth. (DDs are pretty good about brushing their teeth, but if they aren't out the door in time to catch the bus or walk to school, they are each charged $1 for a ride to school from us.)

Allowance is not attached to tasks. It's given out every week at family meeting (a very important part of the program) so kids get the cold hard cash in their hands but then they are responsible for things like the above and also for buying friend's birthday presents, stuff they want. If DDs don't have money with them at the store and want something, I don't lend it anymore.

In the previous thread about the striking mom, I mentioned one of the other pieces of Duct-tape Parenting: the do-nothing, say-nothing week. Where basically you don't do or say anything to your kids for a week. They are responsible for feeding themselves (age appropriate, of course), dressing themselves, getting out the door for school, washing their own dishes, etc. etc. The week we did it was awful. DDs raided the pantry of all candy, stayed up super late, watched way more tv than we ever allow. DD2 spilled oatmeal on the floor in the kitchen at one point and left it there. I let it stay for about 3 days before I couldn't take it anymore and cleaned it up. DD1 did try to get DD2 to clean it up but she wouldn't. It was eye-opening. My kids rely on us to do so much when they are so capable! After the week, everyone pitched in and cleaned up the house - after surveying the utter disaster that results when mom and dad stopped cleaning up after folks!

Since the classes, we are nagging DDs a lot less. We don't remind them. They each know their calendar and are responsible for remembering when they need sneakers for gym day, when they need a cold lunch, etc. (Luckily, the school is on board with kids being responsible for their own homework. I never even look at DD1's homework, unless she asks me for help drilling spelling words. And DD2's teacher knows what we are doing and will talk to DD2 directly about making sure she remembers to pack a snack.)

Anyway, I highly recommend the book and the classes/podcasts (google Parenting-on-Track). As you can imagine, the program is way more involved than what I mentioned above.

snowbunnies300
11-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I am very guilty of doing "things" for my children when they should be doing them on their own. I use the excuse that they are autistic and it is easier for me just to do it for them. DS1 is 9 and most mornings I am still dressing him from head to toe. Same with DS2 (7) and DS3 (5). I am tired and get frustrated with the time it is taking them. They have also figured out to just wait out mama and she will do it for me. This needs to change and I know it but the change part is hard.

I didn't grow up this way at all. My mom didn't dress me once I could do it on my own. I remember waking up to an alarm clock in early elementary. My older sister and I were responsible to get up, get dressed, get a bowl of cereal/make toast and to get on the bus with all of our stuff. Mom in the early years supervised but we were the ones who needed to do it on our own. You over-slept. Well now you missed the bus and will need to walk the 1 mile to school. If you are late you need to explain to the principal and teacher why. You forgot to bring tennis shoes on a gym day. Well you will have to sit on the sideline at gym and get a talking to by not only your classroom teacher but the gym teacher. Forgot to ask mom for more lunch money. Now you need to tell the school secretary you need to charge lunch and get a talking to by your classroom teacher. Don't even think about calling home for a homework assignment. You will get a zero because mom isn't driving to school.

There was no babying in our household. None. There were natural consequences to everything. Do I wish that there was less strictness? Yes. There are of course benefits to the way I was raised. I am independent and dependable. I am amazed that MIL made breakfast every day for her children. I am even more amazed that she packed their school lunches all the way through high school. While I ate hot lunch there is no way my mom would have gotten up in the morning when I was a senior in high school to pack me a cold lunch. NO WAY! I learned responsability at a very young age and it has been a benefit.

On Friday I received DS3's first report card from K. There was a blurb about how he is able to put on outerwear for playtime but choses to bring it to an adult for assistance. It said he will wait out the adult before doing it himself. I was embarrassed that I am causing his laziness by doing so much for him at home that it is spilling into the school day. Today I decided I needed to be more firm in making my kids do more for themselves and participate in chores. I do everything. I don't even make them pick up their own toys :bag. I really hope I am able to follow through on this as I need them to be more independent and have no one to blame but myself if they don't change their ways. I am making them dependent on me and that is not good.

marie
11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
snowbunnies - It was really interesting to read your post. And I am concerned that this way comes off as "too strict" to my DDs. Then again, we're also allowing them a lot of freedom and also input into how the family is run so I hope that tempers some of it.

Also, I have to say that during each class I kept thinking "what if your kid isn't 'normal'"? (normal? typical? sorry, i'm not sure how else to express that and don't mean to offend anyone.) I thought of kids on the spectrum, with anxiety, etc. How well would some of these techniques work?

One place where I've drawn the line is DD1's meds. I can't let her walk out the door without her emergency kit (peanut allergy/asthma). I just can't. DH says that if she forgets it then the natural consequence is that she doesn't get to eat anything while she is out. I just don't think she's in the place where she would remember to refuse all food and that scares me way too much.

amldaley
11-12-2012, 11:20 PM
snowbunnies - It was really interesting to read your post. And I am concerned that this way comes off as "too strict" to my DDs. Then again, we're also allowing them a lot of freedom and also input into how the family is run so I hope that tempers some of it.

Also, I have to say that during each class I kept thinking "what if your kid isn't 'normal'"? (normal? typical? sorry, i'm not sure how else to express that and don't mean to offend anyone.) I thought of kids on the spectrum, with anxiety, etc. How well would some of these techniques work?

One place where I've drawn the line is DD1's meds. I can't let her walk out the door without her emergency kit (peanut allergy/asthma). I just can't. DH says that if she forgets it then the natural consequence is that she doesn't get to eat anything while she is out. I just don't think she's in the place where she would remember to refuse all food and that scares me way too much.

The natural consequence of not having her meds with her could be alot more serious than not being able to eat while out and about. I am all for teaching kids resposibility but I have to side with you on that one.